1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Post your DISC quality scans here 2

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by cincyrob, Jul 27, 2007.

1. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Russ, didn't you say you smoke? I know my first NEC drive may have suffered from my old smoking habit. But no more LOL! February 3rd makes one year without smoking :D

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

greensman,
    Very true on all the ODDs I replaced, but most of that turned out to be a problem with the Southbridge on a different motherboard, not the drives. I actually only had two fail, and I was able to repair both of them!

How Old? Would you believe 1 week? The AD-7240s came last Friday! I'm sure the replacement will be just fine!

Russ

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    I've always smoked, and I had all my older drives in a much harsher environment (without Issues), as there was no AC where I lived before. I have several old DVD Burners that work perfectly, after more than 5 years. My original Emprex 16x in the big Dell, is almost 6 years old and still burning! LOL!! It's burned several hundred!

Russ

4. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

@Russ

Yeah my 7240S opens the tray quite forcefully and quickly.

@Oman

Excellent burn I will have to start burning some of mine on the 20A1s and reading with 7240S. And do some scans.

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

garmoon,
    Yes Mine opened like that at first. Now there's a rather loud clunk, followed by a pause and then the tray slowly comes out. It looks sort of like it's climbing a hill, and almost can't make it. When I get the new one, I'll take it apart and see what the problem is. I have a feeling that it's off one tooth on the timing and the part you use a paper clip on is too far back from the tray. That may be well be why it shot out of the drive like a bullet the first time. It's made the noise ever since!

Russ

6. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Just when I think the LH-20A1S is learning the media ;) The TYG03's do vary quite a bit. One could be close to HOF, and the next could be the ugliest you've seen. This one is certainly the ugliest I've seen. But I don't doubt for a second that it plays fine. These discs can have HIGH failures, and still play ok. I've had failures upwards of the teens!!! Though if it were to get scratched in that area, probably have trouble reading it.
    [​IMG]
    And a little something for creaky LOL!
    [​IMG]

7. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

just did this one on one of them 8x+r verbs from microcenter.(yea ive been getting alot of media from there lately)
    this one was burnt on the AD7200S at 8x and scanned on it as well.

[​IMG]

not to shabby id say.

8. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

one thing you guys gotta remember. the AD7240/1 is a rebadged liteon. and what are liteon's known for. not to good of tray assembly. with all my liteons ive had tray issues. heck on my 18A1P it was brought to my attention if i leave it with a clear plastic disc from the top or bottom of a cake box it will open every time. thats when i was haveing a issue with the tray not opening all the time.

9. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I don't believe my 7241S is a lite-on. My lite-on however is a 7241S :p My iHAS424 is in fact a 7241S. My 7241S IS a 7241S optiarc. Both of them have a peculiarity with their trays, but its never hindered their wonderful burning capabilities :)

10. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

oh im not saying it has anythign to do with the burning abilities. hell we all know what kinda burners they both are no matter what brand badge they have. i was just talking the tray part.

11. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

@oman7

My 7240S Optiarc is an NEC. Your 7241S is probably an NEC 7240S that lightscribes? Gman lets us know.

12. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

My 7241S does lightscribe. You think the 7241S is simply an altered 7240S to allow lightscribe then? Interesting.

13. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  14. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

i had them backwards. the new 24x liteons are actually rebadged optarics. here is the low down on the AD7240/1 series

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdwriters...&hddvdrom=&orderby=Name&hits=50&Search=Search

and from this info here the liteon IHAS424 isa liteon, with the mediatek chipset in it...

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdwriters...&hddvdrom=&orderby=Name&hits=50&Search=Search
    hmmmm now its makeing me second guess some info i have been getting on these 2 drives from a certain site??

will have to look into this more in detail??

15. greensman

greensman Regular member

You talking about CDF Robert?? I'm pretty sure the 7240 series are NEC and the 7220 series are Liteons... I'll check to make sure and I think that Robert already did his homework. ;)

add: Just checked my source (videohelp) and they indicate what Robert posted. 7240 are NEC chipped and 7220 are MediaTek chipped. ;)

16. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

oh yeai know the 7220s(which i have) is a litey(well mediatek chip, but i know when the 24x drive started coming out the talk was that the liteons had the nec chipset in them this time like last model(20x series) for optarics had the mediatek chip which my 7220s does.

dont get me wrong there is nothing wrong with either drive no matter waht chip is in it, i just think its silly to do it that way? like isaid makes me think 1 person/company is in charge of the whole situation and playing around with the products.

guess once its all said in done within he next couple weeks when i have everything in order to complete my slow process of a second build. in hte new tower will have all new 24x drives. liteon/optaric which ever they wanna be called at the time of instal...lmao

17. greensman

greensman Regular member

Robert I think the reason for the "changes" of OEM for the Sony drives comes to a few different reasons... MONEY is the main reason.. which ever company can produce the drive for the "best" money is gonna get the "job". ;)

IIRC Sony partnered up with NEC or something like that and the resulting "baby" was Optiarc.... I'm not sure they are still in "together" but at least they are producing another NEC drive. :D I like that and I'm sure that L&D love it too!!!! ROFL. ;)

I'm a fan of a good drive... DON'T care what the company is or who makes it!! I have LG's, Liteons, Optiarcs, Pioneers, ASUS, and who knows what.. lol. They all perform pretty well and do their job as wanted.... do some do better than others. YES, but that's to be expected... the best drives are prolly the Liteon DH-20A1P's that I have but I don't use them because I'm to dang lazy to pull the ODD's that I have in now and replace them... ROFL. :p

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

GM,
    As soon as the new AD-7240s drive comes, I'm going to pull the old (?) one apart and I'll look and see what the chip actually is. As far as I know the 7240 series are all NEC chipped.

Russ

19. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

As was the older 7200S was an NEC chipset.

20. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

oh yes the 7200A/S was a blessing in drives. was time a new top quality drive came out on the market i got 1 of each..lol still going strong. i feel left out of the loop not buying a drive in about a year. the last one was the AD7220S. look at this here. how far have the high and mighty fallen

so much for the days of plextors being so highly sought after. why pay the extra $20-25 more just to have plextor stamped on it. now if it was a 716 model that would be a different story.