1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

burning copy protected dvds

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by bcakt6, Sep 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigorange

bigorange Active member

dfhjr, You don't need Sonic RecordNow DX with shrink.

Shrink 3.2 will rip, edit/re-author, and compress. You only need a burner with shrink, you can use decrypter(free), nero(free for a full month evry month, but must reload it each and every month til you decide to buy), Copy to DVD(free trial) or any other burner software with which you can add files from another app..:>)

Shrink is designed to be compatible with these 3 apps I mentioned so you don't have to open them seperately and burn. They will do it automatically from within shrink.

2. oukie

oukie Member

Hi peeps.

BigO, i tried this, but i do not know what you mean i should disable ..... I have a screen shot of what i see, and all i can find under the main movie folder when i select a title is the sound options that can be unselected ....

Plse help again....

3. bigorange

bigorange Active member

oukie

Say you want to disable extras or a part of extras.

To disable all extras click on extras, on the right you will see a drop down menu headed by automatic. Click on the arrow, when the menu drops down you will see

custom ratio-you can raise compression on all extars at once to lower compression on the movie yet still keep the extras without hurting the movie quality too bad.

still image-substitute a still image that states "shrink has removed this video" and thereby increasing the quality of the movie even more dramatically by lowering it's compression because you have actually removed all the extras that takes up space.

still pictures-you have removed the extras with still frames taken at .05 sec. intervals again reducing compression on the movie to improve it's quality.

To remove only some extras, click on the + mark and click on each extra individually using a still image on the ones you don't want and raising compression on the ones you do want by the same method as decribed above for all extras at once.

You may even find after disabling some of the extras, there is no need to increase compression on the ones left because with their removal you have increased the movie quality enough that futher compression is not needed.

You must play/experiment around here to decide what amt. of compression is good enough to suit your needs.

Make sense now?...;>)

4. bigorange

bigorange Active member

oukie,

If you are trying to do the same thing under main movie title shrink must show each individual title under that heading. For instance it would say Title 1, title 2, title 3, etc.

You then use the same method for disabling all the titles but one using the substitute still image and then burn each individually.

If you have 4 movies and they are all under one title, and shrink doesn't show them as individual titles under the main movie heading, or in the re-author mode, you'll have to use a different proggy like DvdReMake, to actually go into the dvd structure and remove each title and then burn with another app like Nero express.

What is this movie? I have never seen 4 movies on one disc from the store, or at least one that doesn't have each listed under it's own title under main movie or at least show it in the re-author mode.

Have you tried using re-author? It should show you all the titles and you just pick which one you want, click and drag to the left side and then burn, it won't give you a working menu but it should give you what you're after, that is one of each four titles to a disc.

_X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG][bold]GO VOLS![/bold].Dell Media4600,XP,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz,1024MB,280HDw/8MB,17"flat panel,AIO-A920,8xDVD-ROM,integrated5.1 audio,HPdc4000,PlextorPX-708UF,LiteOn832S-DL[/small]

Last edited: Oct 10, 2004
  5. What_The?

What_The? Member

Thanks heeps Scuba.

6. xklante

xklante Guest

ScubaPete,

Thanks for the advice one more time. I'll keep everyone updated on how things continue. I do have to say that I have backed up about 60 movies in the last week or 2. Grrrrrreeeaaattt!!!

7. oukie

oukie Member

I'll do try that tonight BigO and report back tomorrow..... Will see if i get it this time... :)

8. soxbox

soxbox Guest

Hi! I just bought a Sony Dual Layer DRU-700A DVD burner. I was so naive to think I could just pop in my DVD's and burn away. I have read almost all of the comments on the last 14 pages. I have downloaded DVD Shrink as well as Decrytper and I also have Nero. I followed ScubaPete's instructions on how to burn using Shrink and Nero. I get going just fine, except when I hit backup and it starts it says 400 HOURS remaining... I have read that it should say no more than 3 hours. My media is Sony 4x, and my Burner is capable of up to 8x. I tried to fiddle with the Device Manager, but did not really know what I was doing but everything seemed to be set to DMA, not PIO. Please help. I just shelled out $50 on the dvd's... but the thought of taking 400 hours to burn one dvd is just crazy. Thank you so so so much for your help. I am going crazy!!!

Lauren

ps. i am using 2 drives as well....

9. gimpie

gimpie Member

soxbox:
    I had a similar problems when I backed up my first DVD. A major player in the amount of time it takes is how powerful your computer is. The slower the processor, the longer it will take to encode the video. Also if both of your DVD drives are set on the same IDE cable, it may cause problems as well. I am using a laptop and by making sure that all unneccesary background programs are turned off through Task Manager (ctrl-alt-del)helped improve the time it takes. Defragmenting the hard drive and making sure the registry is clean will help as well. There are some programs that can help with cleaning the registry, but be careful, things can really get messed up if you delete the incorrect things. Make sure you computer has adequate cooling. I had to clean a small gerbil of dirt from my heatsink of the laptop and that improved the times as well.

I find it takes me a couple hours total to back up a dvd since I only have 1 drive. Usually 30min to analyze and 1 hour and 15 minutes to encode generally. 15 minutes to burn. There are some other hints as to how to encode and burn time as well through this forum.

gimpie
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Prostar 5600P, 2.0Ghz P IV, 512mb DDR, 64mb ATI mobility 7500, 40gb HD, 80gb external HD, NEC ND6500-A burner Win XP SP2[/small]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2004
  10. tarisea

tarisea Member

Now that I have the movie copied I am having trouble doing the labels. I like pretty labels, preferably a copy of what is supposed to be there. I can scan them and then drop a jpeg on the label no problem except the video retal places like to write their codes on them. I have searched the web including google images and cannot finda a database of dvd movie labels. Anyone got a website I can try?

11. bigorange

bigorange Active member

tarisea, I would advise against it. They cause a great many problems by causing the disc to not rotate properly, come loose and tear up disc and player, etc. Instead use printable discs or use cases with covers. 9 times out of 10 DVD labels are gonna cause headaches.

The best site for covers and labels is cd.covers.cc...:>)

12. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Flip, Shaddy,

I corrected the one you were using. You may use that one OR the one for DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink 3/4 of the way down the page.

That particular page shows a full backup (now corrected), using DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink, a full backup using DVD Shrink and Nero's FREE trial proggy AND a guide for editting a DVVD using DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter. It is quite a page :)

13. Rockyn

Rockyn Guest

Hey ScubaPete, thanks for the help, wow this string goes fast. Can you tell me where to get the program "Any DVD". You said you used it in the back ground while using DVD Decryptor.

And yes I do have two 300 Gig of hard drives not megabite. Thanks for the correction.

14. Wcombs9

Wcombs9 Member

i am using DVDSHRINK and Nero6. i keep recieving the error "DVD Shrink encountered an error and cannot continue. Failed to read file "D:\" Data error (cyclic redundancy check).

15. Shaddy

Shaddy Member

BigOrange, Flip218, ScubaPete . . . Man, you guys ROCK!! I know that my last post was like 24 hours ago but that's cuz I was sleeping from being exhausted at backing up so much of my movie archive. I owe that ability to you guys.

This feels like the glory days of Napster. May they never end. As Pete would say, "Cheers!"

16. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hey, hey Rockyn,

I'll be more than happy to help you -

Point your magic "clicker" this-a-way

http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvd.html

Download it and have fun, they offer a 21-day free trial -

Enjoy,

Pete

Howdy Doody Wcombs9,

When you receive a CRC,

This usally means there's a problem with the disc. If it's your source disc, try to clean your DVD discs. Yea, I know they're clean but do it anyway. Do it a few seconds before inserting, use a disc cleaner, Eyeglass cleaning solution or 99% Isopropyl Alcohol and a soft cotton cloth and rub-a-dub, dub :)

Let me know if that helps, OK ?

Cheers,

Pete

17. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi Ho Shaddy"O",

I'm so delighted that you've gotten everything working well -

I wanted to remind you that you've made a few friends here so we expect to see more of you, iffin you've got the time - Feel free to join us helping others, as you've seen, we try to have fun doing it :D) I thought I'd let you know, we have other forums also - Check'em out :) There's no telling, you might find one that's of interest to you. When in doubt, checkout the "Safety Valve", it's an almost anything goes Forum (keeping in fair to good taste of course). We shoot the breeze about most anything that's on your mind, Events of the day, Movies someone's seen and is looking for comments (they don't always get what they're expecting (Lol), jokes of the day - there's no telling what's there, it can get pretty wild - Guess you'll have to check into it yourselves, "Heck, you might even run into me there ;P)

I'll look forward to seeing you around, and you better remember to say "Hi" -

I'll be Sea'n you -

Pete

18. Rockyn

Rockyn Guest

Thanks for the quick reply. I currently have dvd for free on my pc. Is Any DVD better. Thank you for your help. I like others here wish I would have found this site before purchasing DVD xcopy. Thanks again.

19. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Rockyn, IMHO anydvd is much better. It has a higher ratio of getting around encryption, it constantly is being improved upon, a good example is the new copy protection due to unreadeable sectors, and works well with all apps and PC's with no conflicts...:>)

I would add if you have already bought DVD43 you don't really need both, but if you're using the free v.1.4 w/patin couffin and are planning to purchase then definitely get anydvd.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG][bold]GO VOLS![/bold].Dell Media4600,XP,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz,1024MB,280HDw/8MB,17"flat panel,AIO-A920,8xDVD-ROM,integrated5.1 audio,HPdc4000,PlextorPX-708UF,LiteOn832S-DL[/small]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2004
  20. bigorange

bigorange Active member

shaddy, thanx, burn on!!;>)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.