1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best hardware for video capturing.....

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by nmace85, Dec 2, 2002.

1. nmace85

nmace85 Guest

Which would be better for capturing & editing analog video(VHS tapes)....a ATI all in wonder card or a product like Dazzle's Hollywood DV-Bridge product(www.dazzle.com)???

with the DV-Bridge you get your video in DV format, which is editable by many video editors, plus you get smaller file sizes(compared to AVI), and since it's all hardware based, i'm assuming less dropped frames than with the AIW card.

with the AIW card i have to capture as AVI, edit, convert to mpeg1, using a different app for each step. with DV video i can use the same app for all the steps. the AVI files are HUGE.

basically it comes down to this. is it worth doing the DV/DV-bridge route considering i have a AIW 8500 DV? does anyone have any experinece with the Dazzle product or the Formac product? is it worth replacing my 6 month old AIW card with it?

Nathan

2. jnihil

jnihil Moderator Staff Member

There is a capture board database of comments at www.vcdhelp.com which you may want to research.

The DV codec is useful for me because I use DV equipment and I don't want to involve too many codecs. But there are some lossless codecs like the Huffyuv codec which you may want to consider using as the AVI codec.