1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

total noob, really need help

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by Shenzi, Dec 28, 2004.

1. Shenzi

Shenzi Member

Hey guys, my name is Vanessa and i am completely new to all of this dvd stuff... i hope i posted into the right thread, but i really have no idea.

Anyway i would like to know, after you download a movie and say its (AVI) how to convert it into a DVD format so you can burn it? Do you even have to convert it? Or do i have to do anything else to burn it. And the thing i am using to burn is called "NERO" is ok to use to burn dvds?

All help much appreciated. Thnx =)

2. shiroh

shiroh Guest

3. Shenzi

Shenzi Member

Thnx :) but im still really confused... i dont know what it is that im doing. http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/ Like on that site what is downloading a movie and wanting to put it onto a dvd-r disk called?

And what do i do first? Download the movie, put it onto a dvd-r then convert it?
    Or download the movie, convert it, then put it onto a dvd-r

and is there anything in between what i have to do?
    I am really confused :(

4. Shenzi

Shenzi Member

also can u put a data cd's onto a dvd-r?

5. shiroh

shiroh Guest

avi, usually mpeg4, so you want to convert to mpeg2 which is dvd's video stream type/compression.

follow this guide.
    http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/convert_avi_to_dvd.cfm

what you're looking for is
    avi to dvd
    or
    divx/xvid to dvd.

if its data for use on the pc, of course you can burn them on dvd, just burn them as data file.