1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to change IDE Channels from PIO Mode to DMA (and why it won't stay that way)

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by LivnDGirl, Jan 1, 2005.

1. LivnDGirl

LivnDGirl Regular member

I have spent hours trying to understand why I could not change my secondary IDE mode to the recommended DMA mode.
    I read all the guides and advice here but didn't truly understand all I had read until I came across this website.

"DMA reverts to PIO"
    http://www.michna.com/kb/WxDMA.htm

I was afraid to delete my seondary IDE channel, even as much as I trusted the advice here, simply because I was not comfortable with my knowledge of what was causing the phenomenon to happen and "exactly" what to expect or do afterwards.

I hope this helps some other poor newbie like me to save some time. God knows I have wasted enough on it.

Love the forum - hope this contributes in a meaningful way.

edit: spelling

Last edited: Jan 1, 2005
  2. johnjones

johnjones Guest

I have two machines with the PIO DMA problem. I have edited the registry at both the SCSI line and the other, as suggested... GGGGGRRRR. I have uninstalled, etc. but to no avail.. The DVD burners are SO slow. They used to cruz on the DMA channel just fine. Any ideas beyond faulty cables and Windoze?