1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copying The Simsons Game

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by donalcorr, Jan 2, 2005.

1. donalcorr

donalcorr Member

Hi Nephilim
    I will start off with giving you my PC details.

NEC-DVD_ND-1300A - Added to burn DVD's
    Plextor PX-W2410TA - Not installed
    DVD-ROM LTD-16x5H - Came with PC
    PC is a Carrera SSC Vision P4 2.53Ghz SP2
    Copying tools installed are
    Alcohol 120%
    CloneCD
    Virtual CD
    Nero V6
    Roxio DirectCD
    A-Ray Scanner - Saying that SecuRom detected.

I have copied the CD sucessfully twice using the NEC
    drive, and according to the properties of both CD's (the original and the copy) they seem the same, but the copy isn't launching the game when the desktop shortcut is clicked, whereby when the original goes into the drive, it will launch the game. This game was a Christmas Present for my daughter who loves it, and I want a back up just in case it gets damaged. Please help

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

The problem may lie with the fact that neither of your drives are able to write EFM correctly which is needed to make a working backup of protected PC games.

To give you a better understanding of what I'm talking about I'll explain a couple things. Unlike burning DVDs where the protection is stripped out, burning protected PC games involves having to read the protection then write it back to the disc - both of which need to be done very accurately. Not all burners are able to write the protections accurately enough to make a working copy......

When you try to run a protected game it needs to perform a "handshake" of sorts between the disc and the game on your hard drive to verify that the disc is legitimate. If the protection is written back to the disc accurately enough it'll pass the handshake and you have what's known as a "working" copy - one that doesn't need any sort of emulation to help it run. If the copy is less than perfect the handshake will fail because the copy protection will detect that there's something fishy with the copy. In that case you can use emulation tools which basically help the disc pass the handshake process.

Since your NEC most likely can't make a working copy your best bet may to use the emulation features in Alcohol 120%. Another member, geestar20, has some very good screenshots of what options to use so I'll pm him and see if he'll post them for you :)

3. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

Here goes some screenshots for you :)
    any more questions feel free to ask.

select Emulation in the Options box on the right hand side of your screen, this is what you might see.

[​IMG]

Now go down to options and select "Emulation" as shown.

[​IMG]

Enable RMPS (Recordable media physical signature) and after clicking ok you can close Alcohol. This is a one of task and you dont need to disable or enable this again.

[​IMG]

You are now ready to play your backups. Good Luck :)