1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ILO DVDR04/HD04 Firmware Download Page

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by adambrann, Jan 5, 2005.

1. adambrann

adambrann Member

For those of you who don't know, I have set up a page with the different ILO DVDR04/HD04 firmware files for download.

The site also includes 3-hour mode and Macrovision hacked versions for the DVDR04 model.

You can also find directions with screen captures on how to update the firmware for your ILO recorder using NERO Burning Rom version 6.6.

If you have any questions or suggestions, you can e-mail me from the site.

ILO DVDR04/HD04 Firmware Download Page
    http://www.ss3f.com/ilo/

2. adambrann

adambrann Member

To all,

The firmware download page has been updated to include the new Macrovision hacks for the HD04. I have posted both 1185 and 1191 versions and both have been tested. I have also changed the layout to include a page for each recorder to make it easier to find the firmware you are looking for.

3. whompus

whompus Active member

Hi Adam.
    Cool. I was wandering if you did a follow up post to this thread about the hd model.

4. Gtrman

Gtrman Regular member

Posted regular and hacked version of the new HD04 firmware 1193 on the firmware download page.

No LP 3-hour mode.

5. Gtrman

Gtrman Regular member

The ILO DVDRHD04 has now been hacked for 3-hour LP mode!! Visit my ILO Firmware Download Page to get the new hacked firmware.

6. Gtrman

Gtrman Regular member

The ILO Firmware Download page has been updated to include both Nero and standard .ISO CD Images for the latest firmware version for the R04 and HD04. You can find the links to the images in the same location as the hacked firmware file links.

The image files were created with the latest version of Nero (v6.6) and the .ISO files should work with most any CD burning software.

This should hopefully help those who are having problems creating a good firmware update CD.

7. pants100

pants100 Member

If my experiences are anything to go by I would *strongly* recommend not doing an upgrade just for the sake of it - my recorder (2 days old) is now completely dead.

Unless anyone knows a way to hard eject a disc out of the sucker? All the buttons (aside from power off when held for 5 seconds!) are dead as a dead thing.

Next stop : Panasonic :(

8. unixdude

unixdude Member

FYI, I just upgraded my DVDR04 (Manf. July 2004, 4x drive) to 1097 hacked with no problems whatsoever. It ran the percentages for the unit itself then again for the drive. I burned the single f/w file to a CD (no multisession, finalized) on my PC then popped it in the iLO. Nothing could be easier. My sincere thanks to all who helped in making this possible.

9. pants100

pants100 Member

It appears that these machines are hit and miss in the extreme. Some people have no problems, others have a world of hurt.

10. jock4

jock4 Guest

In need of help!!

I just tried to install the 1097 hack for my DVDR04 and have a little problem. When I placed the disk in the player I got the popup window for the update, said ok, but after a few seconds I got an error. Following the install instructions I turned the unit off and back on and inserted the disk again and got another error. Right now the display reads "error" and I cannot bring up any of the menus.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

11. Gtrman

Gtrman Regular member

The Ilo Firmware Download page has been updated with the newest firmware for the R04 and HD04.

Versions added:
    DVDR04: 1098
    DVDRHD04: 1193 RevB

Both fix the issue of playing ARCCOS copy protected discs.
    Both are only system updates.

Hacked versions of both firmware files are also posted on the site, along with a Nero CD image and ISO CD image of each file.

If you have any questions or problems, let me know.

12. Gtrman

Gtrman Regular member

Jock4,

It sounds like you had a corrupt download. Try downloading the file again from my site and burn another CD. Also, there is a new version of the firmware but it is only a system update. If your recorder has firmware older than 1097 (R04) or 1193 (HD04), you should upgrade with those first, since they include a drive update.

13. 80sMusic

80sMusic Member

Hey,
    I havent downloaded anything yet and had a question. What if in 4 or 5 months my dvd recorder goes down and I need to send to ilo for repair. Wont they detect and upgrades like 3 hour mode and the ability to copy copyrighted material?
    or does it matter?

14. Gtrman

Gtrman Regular member

Yes they could. By doing the firmware hack, you do technically void your warranty. It is a chance you need to decide. If the recorder fails within the first 90 days, you just need to return it to WalMart and get it exchanged. They do not check for any mods. If, for some reason, you need to send it to ILO, you run the chance of them not honoring the warranty, if they look. Best case is that you might still be able to re-flash the original firmware before sending it in. It all depends on the problem.

Most of the time, if an issue is going to arise, it will happen in the first 90 days.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2005
  15. 80sMusic

80sMusic Member

Hey,
    Thanks for the info. There only 150.00 or less anyway and the way I have run mine night and day it would be worth just buying a new one if needed:)
    Unless you are just looking for perfection, these ilo systems seem to be a great system to use. I think people forget that DVD Recorders are much more high tech than a VCR and like a computor there bound to have there quirks.

16. jock4

jock4 Guest

Gtrman,
    Thanks for the assist (don't know why I didn't try that). It seems to be back to normal. I still don't have the 3 hr mode and I tried to record a commercial dvd and still got the "protected contents" message.

17. Gtrman

Gtrman Regular member

Sounds like you downloaded the unhacked firmware. The best way to get all the updates is to do the following:

Note: If you have, at some point, install version 1097, skip to #3.

1. Download both 1097 Unhacked and 1098 hacked. Remember to verify which version of 1097 you need based on the serial number on the setup screen.
    2. Burn 1097 Unhacked to a CD. Install on the R04. If it doesn't recognize the update, leave the CD in the recorder, go to the system restore option in the setup menu and do a reset. Power off the recorder and turn it back on. It should read the CD and prompt for the update. After the update completes (wait for the CD to eject), recycle the power like it asks. Go to the setup screen and verify it is at version 1097 (third set of numbers in the serial xxxx-xxxx-0097-xxxx). This update will have given you the latest drive update.
    3. Burn 1098 Hacked to a CD. Install on the R04. If it doesn't start at first. follow the same process as in step 2.
    4. Verify the version in the setup screen is now 1098 (xxx-xxx-0098-xxxx). This update will have given you the latest system update with hacks.
    5. Verify LP 3-hour mode is present in the record settings screen.

All done!! You should be all up to date and have LP, no MV and be region free.

You normally wouldn't have to go through 2 updates because most firmware updates have both a system and drive update included (like the 1097 is).

Let me know how it works

This should

Last edited: Mar 12, 2005
  18. jeffrouse

jeffrouse Member

ILO DVD recorders...I own one, its fine, but I wouldn't use one of these things for other than just recording TV programs. Use a computer if you want to convert old video tapes to digital

19. unixdude

unixdude Member

jeffrouse: Why bother with a PC if all you're doing is dubbing VHS to DVD?

That's precisely why I bought the DVDR04. I didn't want to mess with vid cap on the PC, conversion, burning, hoping it worked, etc.

1. Put tape in VCR.
    2. Put blank DVD+R in iLO.
    3. Press play on VCR.
    4. Press record on iLO.

No fuss, no muss, and it works great every time. AND, I can do a dozen other things with my PC while I'm dubbing from VCR to DVR.

If you have better luck using your PC and/or it better suits your needs because you want to do some fancy editing, then great. Like myself, I think many folks were just looking for the least-expensive, least-complicated solution for transferring hours of VHS home movies to DVD. For that purpose, the iLO is tough to beat.

Have a great day!

20. unixdude

unixdude Member

The latest f/w I see on Gtrman's page is WMEA1098.ES[bold]4[/bold]. iLO download site now has WMEA1098.ES[bold]5[/bold] with a post date of 03/14/2005. Email from service@ilohelp.com I received just this evening is as follows:
    Dare we hope that this latest release really does fix the green tint problem? I'll give it a try once Gtrman posts the hacked version of it. I don't want to lose my 3hr mode and MV defeat.