1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Don't buy CloneDVD 3 !

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Pangloss, Jan 7, 2005.

1. Pangloss

Pangloss Member

Whatever you do, don't buy CloneDVD 3! Go with the older versions from Elaborate Bytes or Slysoft. (I'm still not real clear on why there are so many pieces of software with the same name, but the one I'm talking about, which I'm saying you should not buy, is from CloneDVD.net.)

The program is apparently seriously flawed with regard to its ability to split DVDs over multiple discs. The programmer is trying a fairly novel approach to the problem, with an excellent interface and chapter break-point selection, and is to be commended for his or her efforts, but clearly it just isn't working yet and needs more work. I've tried everything from hardware changes to driver changes to all-out computer changes, and it even works occassionally, but many if not more movies will simply not work.

And clearly CloneDVD.NET and their technical support staff are aware of the problem, and yet have refused to properly address my inquiries or allow me to pursue a refund. In essence, I've shelled out a hundred bucks for absolutely nothing.

Be careful.

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

The CloneDVD from Elby is not an older version of CloneDVD3. They are 2 different programs from 2 different companies. The Elby one is the one you want. The other one is using the same name but does not work as good. The one you want is CloneDVD 2 version 2.5.4.3.

Jerry

3. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Yet another victim of that scumbag site. I can't believe Elby hasn't taken action against them.

4. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

I've been wondering the same thing. Its been going on for a long time now. Maybe it has something to do with the location of the main company. Can't be touched in certain countries. Who knows?

Jerry

5. Shoiman

Shoiman Member

I dont see what your problem is with this software anyway. I've been using it for awhile now and it works perfectely for me. Well I do use it in an entirely different way than you might, but it works perfectely fine and has excellent quality for ripping. I havent found an easier program for ripping. Well this is how I use the program and it has no problems for me.

1. I rip the DVD using cloneDVD 3 from clonedvd.net
    2. Then I take that ripped HDD version and burn The DVD using one of two programs.
    a) Elaborite Bytes Clone DVD 2
    b) Nero Burning Rom

I have found this way to be the easiest way to do my DVD Backups. Elaborite Bytes program just doesnt cut it for ripping and CloneDVD 3 doesnt cut it for burning but put them both together and you have an ultimate DVD copying machine (as long as your hardware is supported).

Last edited: Feb 1, 2005
  6. Nephilim

If the fake CloneDVD3 doesn't cut it for burning why buy it just to rip when DVD Decrypter is a free?

It also doesn't make sense to state that Elby's CloneDVD doesn't cut it for ripping because it was never meant to. That's what AnyDVD is for not to mention what a lifesaver it's been recently due to it's ability to overcome the new copy protections with ease.

7. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

I recommend you use CloneDVD 2.5.4.3 and AnyDVD (as thats what works 'best' with it) but, you can also use Decrypter as Nephilim said, which makes it easy and (almost) free. :)

8. Shoiman

Shoiman Member

Anydvd has never cut it for me. It works sometimes and sometimes not. And yes DVDDecrypter is a good program great quality as well but when I am ripping my anime dvds that program causes me too many problems. I would also like to say who is talking about buying the program anyways not me. (hint, hint) not that I going to endorse getting the program for free in any means.

9. Nephilim

Could you elaborate? How does it not work?

10. Shoiman

Shoiman Member

The main problem I have with it is that for certain dvds and just sometimes a glitch, an error msg comes up saying that it cant read the disc (note that the disc I put in is in perfect condition and no scratches at all). Sometimes it is easily fixed by opening the drive and closing it others it is just the disc it cant read. So since I had this major problem with it I decided to use something better. For the discs it reads I hardly have any other problems that are easily fixed. Other problems might include just a glitch with using it with the other programs that to the actual labor of ripping.

11. Nephilim

First time I've ever heard of that. What version are you using?

12. Shoiman

Shoiman Member

I was using the anydvd version 4.5.6.2