1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV Picture is bigger than viewable area. How to Fix?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by nlrobert, Jan 8, 2005.

1. nlrobert

nlrobert Member

I have a 1994 32" Proscan TV that has an issue with the picture. The picture is crisp and clear, but the image is slightly larger than the viewable area. The image is cropped by the TV frame and about an inch of the actual picture is cropped all the way around. A good example is when I watch sports. I typically can't see the scores of games because the scoreboard banner bleeds off the screen.

I have checked everything in the TV menu and I do not see any adjustable controls on the back of the set.

Does anyone know what causes this and how to possibly fix it. The TV still looks great, but the picture thing is a little annoying.

Thanks

2. Mattroid

Mattroid Member

I posted this in another thread but I'll copy here for you. I don't know that you're trying to do, but my post was in reference to someone who was trying to watch DivX files on their TV and they said the sides were cut off. So, most of my reply focuses on how to encode the DivX files to be viewable...if that's not you, ignore it, I will explain the rest after that (pay close attention to the italics). Here goes:

I recently had to open up my TV to adjust the overscan. Now I can see everyhting on the top and bottom, but I can't find a way to adjust the horizontal size at all on my TV. This sucks, but at least I can see the subtitles at the bottom now.

Good luck and hope this helped.

3. narutard

narutard Member

I have the same problem too.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Matt Qoute
    First and most common but tedious is to add borders around the videos while encoding them so that the border is what gets "cut off" the screen. Of course, if you'd be encoding to VCD or DVD anyway, this will take the same amount as time as it was going to anyway, so there's no time wasted here.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Do you know how to add borders around the videos and with what software? My Nero couldn't solve this .