1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-Audio

Discussion in 'Audio' started by geekguy, Jan 10, 2005.

1. geekguy

geekguy Member

Okay, so this might be a stupid question but I can't find a definitive answer to my question. So here it goes. Is it possible to rip DVD-Audio disks? I'm assuming it's not at this point, considering the lack of information I've been able to dig up. If so, is it a copy protection problem? Hardware? Something else? Enlighten me please. Thank you.

2. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2005
  3. djscoop

djscoop Active member

yes, you can rip DVD-Audio discs. There are several floating around IRC, like that Jay-Z and Linkin Park one. I'm sure there's copy protection, but judging how easy it is to get rid of protection on regular DVDs, using DVD Decrypter, I don't think it would be very hard to bypass.

4. diabolos

diabolos Guest

This thread brought up some questions for me:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/71310

Granted this thread is almost a year old!

Of what format were the ripped DVD-Audio files djscoop? I don't think a ripped .AOB file from a DVD-Audio would play on a PC (even if decrypted).

This is what I mean:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-Audio#DVD-Audio

Either; Meridian Lossless Packing (PPCM) or LPCM?

The DTS or Dolby Digital (AC3) part in the Video-TS folder (where .VOB files are) is pabably what they were able to rip.

Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2005
  5. djscoop

djscoop Active member

the ripped dvd-audio files were converted to mp3. They were labeled as ripped from dvd-audio, and they couldn't really be from anything else, cause that was the only format this particular album I found was released on. But I very well could be mistaken...maybe the person who ripped it did it via analog. I read that thread, and I have talked to wilkes several times...he definately knows what he's talking about.

6. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Cool Cool. I don't really know much about it other than what I've heard and read. What I have heard and read lead me to beleave that it isn't possible to rip DVD-Audio discs (yet). The encryption schemes are not the same (not even similar). DVD-Audio encryptions are allot stronger than DVD-Video encryptions.

DVD-Audio Copy Protection:
    http://www.disctronics.co.uk/technology/dvdaudio/dvdaud_copyprot.htm

Vs.

DVD-Video Copy Protection:
    http://www.disctronics.co.uk/technology/dvdvideo/dvdvid_copyprot.htm

If DVD-Audio discs where so easy to rip the creators of [bold]DVD Decrypter[/bold], I assume, would be all over it?

The files where converted to Mp3 you say. Converting lossless to lossy kinda defeates the point of ripping it from a source as good as a DVD-Audio disc!

I'm aware why they did it I'm just sayin,
    Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2005
  7. geekguy

geekguy Member

djscoop,

Either they did it by recording the analog output of something or (perhaps just as likely?) they ripped the audio from the DVD-Video folder that's not the high res audio found in the DVD-Audio folder (this is for backwards compatability). Granted, you still get surround...but it's not the high quality stuff. I dunno.

I would be interested in doing some listening tests to see if I could even tell the difference. I don't have a fancy audio rig nor am I an audiophile. *shrugs* Perhaps I better do some tests, no real use in going to all the trouble of getting the high quality stuff if you can't tell the diff eh?

diabolos,

Thanks for the links, really informative stuff.

8. Noel

Noel Guest

Try this
    Xilisoft DVD Audio Ripper free trial on their web page
    or

type dvd audio convertor AC3
    into Google and look through the answers

9. djscoop

djscoop Active member

yeah, I'm pretty sure all those dvd audio rippers only rip the audio from dvd videos. I was under the impression you could rip dvd-a, but I guess not. My mistake.

10. Conrad

Conrad Guest

From the ImTOO website:

3. Can I rip a DVD-Audio?

A: At present, DVD Audio Ripper doesn't support audio-only tracks. That is, DVD Audio Ripper can't handle AOB files which are located in AUDIO_TS folder and have a different encrypt scheme. If you only see still picture or no picture when you playback a track with software DVD player, you will know that is audio-only track. A DVD-Audio disc may have video part which should be located in VIDEO_TS. In that case, you could be able to rip it.

11. ByteMstr

ByteMstr Member