1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Comcast DVR Freezes

Discussion in 'Digital TV - United States & Canada' started by weewood, Jan 11, 2005.

1. weewood

weewood Guest

I had Comcast install their new Motorola DCT6412 DVR but it freezes the image and needs to be powered off to recover. I had the DVR replaced by Comcast and the second DVR also freezes. Has any one else had this problem?

2. mindean

mindean Member

I am Having the same problem ..Called Comcast they had no clue ! I live near Harrisburg , Pa. Are U near this area.

3. weewood

weewood Guest

I'm in San Jose, CA. Many of the Motorola DCT6412 boxes are freezing in this area. Motorola told Comcast that only 5% of the boxes were bad, but that does not appear to be the case. Our local Comcast cable company said that they are working to solve the problem, and feel it might have something to do with their equipment, rather than the Motorola DCT6412.

4. vtincali

vtincali Member

Having the same problem in Lansing MI

5. weewood

weewood Guest

Our local Comcast people seem to have figured out what the problem is. They haven't said but the Motorola DCT6412 is no longer freezing. Check you digital channels. We noticed that they seemed to never freeze.

6. wesabi

wesabi Member

What did Comcast do to fix the problem? Did they give you a new box? Or did they fix it remotely?

I'm located in Foster City and I'm still having occasional lockups on my second Motorola DVR box. If you could give me any insight on how to resolve this problem, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

7. weewood

weewood Guest

They must have fixed it remotely. My step-son also had the freezing problem and when he called around the middle part of last week, Comcast said they had figured out what the problem was and would be sending a signal out to all Motorola DCT6412 boxes within a couple of days, but inspite of that our box started working just fine. We have not had a failure since January 12th.

8. tmonser

tmonser Member

We recently had Comcasts' DVR installed and the picture freezes periodically. You know when you picture something going out the window in your minds eye and you can hear the crunch of metal and plastic splitting apart as it hits the asphalt that's the feeling I get about this DVR, but thanks for the other posts. I will contact Comcast...ArGh

9. eenclean

eenclean Member

I have the same problem every 11 hours here in SLC, utah. beating my head on the wall because the guide has to redownload every time i reset to unfreeze.

10. mindean

mindean Member

Comcast finally acknowledges the problem. Last week motorola sent down a patch to fix problem. However it made the problem worse. Another patch was sent yesterday..I'll keep you posted on results. PS I called comcast sales and they reimbursed my monthly fee.

11. eenclean

eenclean Member

Eck. They refuse to credit my monthly price, and refuse to acknowledge that this is the same problem from other markets. They have told me I need a service call and maybe equipment replacement, so I have issued an ultimatum via email that I will go directivo if I cannot at least get a credit until they fix my problem. I said I would be scheduling service call if they can provide me the credit or else delivering this piece of junk receiver to their office and scheduling directv installation.

12. weewood

weewood Guest

You mentioned earlier that the guide had to be downloaded everytime the DVR froze. I've never had this problem, and do not recall anyone else mentioning it. I would take the service call and get a new box. This DVR is much better than Tivo's and once you get it working, you will love it. I suggest that you hang in there, if you can.

13. charlie-w

charlie-w Guest

I've been having the same problem with the box freezing (among others!) and got Comcast to credit me for the month's DVR cost.
    I don't think you have to unplug the unit when it freezes- just move the channel selector up or down should get it working again. But if you DO have to unplug it, it loses all the program guide info, and has to reload everything.

14. KOOLBREW

KOOLBREW Member

In early January, I was having the same freezing problems and after 3 boxes, has it resolved. I was notified that all motorola boxes in the GI1446 series have glitches. After going through 3 boxes in this series, I was given one in the GI1436 series and it works fine. Check your serial number and contact Comcast.

15. weewood

weewood Guest

I just read an article in the San Jose Mercury News regarding the freeze problem with Comcast's DVR. The article said that all DVR have had a fix transmitted to them as of last Firday that resolves this freeze problem. I'm really going to keep an eye on my DVR and let Comcast know if it even hiccups!

16. KOOLBREW

KOOLBREW Member

RE: my message about the bad Motorola serial #'s, I live in Harrisburg, Pa. area.

17. eenclean

eenclean Member

My problem is not specific to any channel. I tried enabling the time display on the front and found that it freezes exactly at 4:20 am and exactly at 4:50 pm if I'm not using it at those times. If I am using it, it may freeze at a different time, but always freezes back on schedule the next time i leave it idle to record my season passes. I have tried leaving it in a paused recording, with no luck, and also turning the power off so the picture doesn't display but it will still record, with no luck. Today, it started freezing every 20 minutes, so I have tried reformatting the drive (in the setup UI, pressing replay, my dvr x3, then live tv) and I am waiting to see if it is frozen in the morning. My freeze keeps the feed going with picture and sound on whatever channel or whatever recording that was playing, but all buttons stop responding. Hence the unplug reset. Hoping it is fixed, as I found today with a dtv tech that I have no LOS to have dtv here in my apartment. Otherwise I will just be purchasing the 80gb standalone tivo.

18. mindean

mindean Member

I just wanted to let you know that the download upgrade that comcast did two weeks ago in my area has fixed my problem with freezing! Good luck to you all!

19. dashiznit

dashiznit Member

I live in SF and i've had my dvr box for over 2 months and it works perfectly, not one problem. however, my sis, also in SF has gone through 3 now in just over a month. Each had it's own problem, but now the one they have works well.

just keep calling them out for a new box until they bring one that works, eventually they will get it right.

On the other hand, it may be why they just locked up a deal with Tivo.
    http://www.boston.com/business/tech.../comcast_to_offer_new_tivo_service_next_year/

Last edited: Mar 17, 2005
  20. ASR

ASR Member

Still having the freezing problem,,,, in the Seattle area,,, I've probably already had close to a dozen DVR units and very close to going back to my TiVo DirecTV--never had a single problem with the TiVo,,,, only reason I gave it up was could not get the Sat at my last house. Anyone had any current info?