1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

you are a winner

Discussion in 'AfterDawn feedback & suggestions' started by macey, Jan 21, 2005.

1. macey

macey Guest

hi everyone, i am relativly new to this site bit i have saved afterdawn.com into my fav's. this morn when entering the site i was redirected to a page stating "congradulations your the 100,000,000th visitor to this website, click here to contact the prize department immeadiatly. that took me to http://209.12.131.6/14/LandingPage.asp?c9&ap=7&ca=26&t=1
    which told me i have won $2400.00 and a criuse. call 001118136768934 (australian residents) to claim your prises. they want a mastercard number to bill it to.i followed this link as i thaught it was a wrort and
    i thaught you guys should know.
    thanks, macey.

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

The redirect is most likely a browser hijacker leading you to a scam site- AfterDawn isn't affiliated with such redirects in any way, shape or form. I'd recommend checking out this thread on malware:

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/128251

3. djcsurf

djcsurf Guest

I have a clean system but whenever i visit aD the first (any) topic link i click on, I get a mediafastclick pop up stating the same thing 'Congratulations your a winner', This has been happening for the past few weeks and presumed this was associated to the forum. I know this issue has previously been discussed before, so can anyone advise me on how to block these fastclick pop ups. I use Zonealarm Pro and have the Ad Blocking set to high but it doesn't stop these annoying ad's, thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2005
  4. djcsurf

djcsurf Guest

Sorry...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2005
  5. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

I only get this problem when I click on a link, but its only a one time thing... per visit.

6. djcsurf

djcsurf Guest

I was just about to say the same thing geestar, BUT when i clicked on reply, to log in. Guess what 'Congratulations' again aaaargh...
    I added media.fastclick.net to the privacy block site list in Zonealarm but still no joy.

7. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

a) by blocking cookies from media.fastclick.com with ZoneAlarm/similar, you block the pop limiter, thus you will get more pops. The ad server recognizes that you've seen your daily pop by setting a cookie to your browser that simply indicates "don't show a new pop for this site for this user within next 24 hours"

b) We have three domains under afterdawn.com scope that we use for English site -- www., login. and forums. As unfortunate as it is, these sites use all different ad codes, thus you might get a pop a day for each of these domains. But as said, never more than one per 24 hour period, ever.

c) We don't use pop ups, ever. We use popUNDERs that stay behind your active browser window.

d) Your original complain might be related to "intestitials" that we utilize on forums -- when you click a link on forum threads (that a user has posted, not any navigational links), it redirects the link via an interstitial page -- page that appears for ten seconds and then redirects you to the link you clicked to. Again, these things only appear once per 24 hours.

Ok, it might sound bad, but the fact is that we have to pay our bills somehow -- five servers, 4-7TB a month traffic, etc doesn't come cheap. We've tried to make our ads appear as less annoying as possible, but unfortunately regular banners don't generate enough cashflow and thus we have to have some additional ad formats -- in our case, once/visit popunders and once/day interstitials. I think if you seriously consider those options (compare it to the fact that we'd close the whole place down because we can't pay our hosting bills), I think we're being quite reasonable and try not to annoy our users too much.

8. djcsurf

djcsurf Guest

Thanks dRD,
    I fully understand and appreciate the reply. Guess i can live with it so long as it keeps aD up and running.