1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need tips for no skips

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by mrdave, Jan 24, 2005.

1. mrdave

mrdave Member

I have burned about 20 dvds so far and 7 of the 20 pause or skip in the middle of nowhere over and over then all of a sudden locks. Has anyone encountered this? I bought a new dvd player cause I thought it was that but the new one skipped as well. I was watching Anchorman and at 25 mins it stopped completely.(froze) I went to try it again about anh hour later and it worked ok at the 25 mins then started skipping again about 15 mins later. Im guessing its either one of these reasons. Can someone confirm? 1-I do work in the background while its burning. 2- I burned at 4x instead of 1(although 1x still skipped a bit) or 3- Cheap CDs.

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

More that likely cheap/poor quality media, but this could be a possible reason. Are you using stick on labels by chance. The reason I ask is you say it works after 1hr again. Paper labels absorb excess heat and warp the disc causing playback problems. Also multi-tasking could cause some of the problem. 4X write speed is Ok on good media but 2X should be used on the cheaper stuff. Try correcting one possible cause at a time to find out the problem.

Jerry

3. mrdave

mrdave Member

shit ya Im using the stick on labels. Damn maybe Ill try that first cause now it makes sense.

4. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Yes they are trouble makers. They either overheat like yours or they throw the disc out of balance with the same results. There is a product in stores called Goo Gone that is a citrus base solvent that works good taking off labels. It won't hurt the disc. Hope it fixes your problem. Good luck.

Jerry

5. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

It's most likely your media (brand)
    Could be the labels maybe? I have used labels with about 200 DVD's and never ran into this issue so I don't know where this issue comes from? The first Response from Jerry makes sense though. The second is a little hard to imagine. Throw the disk off balance? How exactly could it do that? Are you using a lable with a lead weight on one side or something?
    I would say it's your media if you stick labels on poor media then your results probably arent going to be to good, but I belive labels on quality media is alright as I have said I have over 200 Taiyo Yuden disk's labled and all still work perfect. I don't label with the stick on labels anymore though. Now I own a Epson R200 and I have been printing directly on the DVD's (TY's of course) for over 300 disks now and still no problems.

Pay a little more and get some good quality media :)

6. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

There are several hundred posts out there to justify my post. With some players out there, all it takes is the extra weight of the paper to throw it off. I have all my backups labeled and they play great on my player. But my daughter can't play any of them without problems. Backups for her machine can't have labels. Even though they work for me I never say they are OK to use or give anyone the impression to try them or use them.

Jerry

7. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Jerry,
    I am not arguing your point and I have seen the post's, but for a label to throw the disk off of balance is just ridiculous. I agree with the heat issue and could logically see that being a problem. Again I am only speaking of personal expirence, and I can't coment on something I heard someone say in another post allthough there have been a lot of post's about labels being an issue there are also a lot of post's of people having success with labels. If you buy quality labels and media it shouldnt be an issue. Again I have over 200 DVD's labeled and have lent them out to over 20 family and friends and not one has had a problem watching them, and they all play in the 6 DVD players I have at my house. So this is just my expirence with Labels and I am not nor have I ever reccomeded that someone stick labels on there DVD's because I know this can be an issue with some people, but not as much an issue as bad media. I hope this clears thing's up some. Wasen't trying to upset anyone just voicing an opinion which is what this Forum is all about :)

8. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

You didn't upset me and yes this forum is for different opinions. But by saying you have 200 discs labeled and they work you are giving the new members the idea that they work great. About 70 or 80 % of the forum members say they shouldn't be used while you are giving the impression they are Ok. I have more dvds labeled than you but never state that number just because I don't want new members to get the idea to go and try some. Again we are talking our own opinions but as senior members we have to sort of watch what we say and do so that the wrong message doesn't come across.

Jerry

9. mrdave

mrdave Member

Thanks guys. Ill keep both your replies in mind. Another question though. Whats the difference between dvd-r and dvd+r and What name brand do you guys use for your media thats good?

10. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Well There really is no difference in the + or - media, at least none you could tell. The + is the newer of the two. Does that make it better? No not really it's just a few companies out there didn't want to pay for the use of the DVD emblem so they created there own disk's the +. The only issue you may run into with the two brand's is compatability (what will play on most of your DVD players) You just need to find out what is most compatable with your equipment? A quick look at the manufacturers website will tell you this ;-). Now days though you will find that both mediums are supported on most players. The + and - debate is a pretty big one on this forum and all over the net. Myself? well I pretty much stick with the - R because I have never run into any problems with them being able to play in any of my equipment, but I have burned some + R and I didn't run into any problems with those either.

Your second question is actually the better of the two questions and much more important. What brand to use? Well there you will get all kinds of opinions and probably pull your hair out trying to figure wich brand to go with. I have used all different brands, but I now pretty much stick with the Taiyo Yuden's. I have read over 1,000 posts on here and I have not seen one bad post about Taiyo Yuden disk's NOT ONE! I have seen problems with all the other brands out there so I would have to come to the logical conclusion that you couldn't go wrong with Taiyo Yuden DVD media. I have had great success with other media, but I have heard others that didn't with that same media so in good consious the only media I could really reccomend is the Taiyo Yuden's.

Hope that helps :)

11. mrdave

mrdave Member

Yes it does. Thanks alot. Ill just add one more question here instead of starting a new thread:). Something about the printable dvd`s. I know there only a few bucks more in price. If my issue with the skips and pauses indeed is from the labels is it possible to go with the printable dvds seeing as they have more protection on the media, maybe that way they wont get too close to the actual data. I was told that they have more of a coating to protect the cd cause of the printer printing right on it.

12. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Printing directly on printable dvds is fine. Its the best way to go if you really need it to look like the original. Only a few cents more per disc but you need the printer to get started ($75. to $100.).

Jerry

13. mrdave

mrdave Member

Nah thats not what Im asking. Im wondering if I would have a better chance of the cd (printable kind) not screwing up because it has a better protector if I use those instead of regular ones.

14. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

You kind of lost me there. Do you mean are they better for applying labels with less chance of errors in playback. I would say no to that. If your asking are they a better quality blank because they are printable, again no. It would actually depend on the manufacturer of the disc. A company that makes good media ususally will make them all the same. Doesn't matter whats on top.

Jerry

15. mrdave

mrdave Member

Correct me if Im wrong but isnt the media actually on the top of the disc? Thats what I thought anyway. And the printable cds dont they have more protection on the top because the printer actually prints on the disc? Let me know if Im wrong but thats what I thought.

16. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

It's really no more protection for the data side of the disk if this is what you are suggesting. It could possibly be better to write on the printable media though.

17. mrdave

mrdave Member

ok thanks.