1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does people know if...

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by JeVo, Feb 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JeVo

JeVo Member

u rip and burn a copy of their DVD? Sorry if I'm not posting it on the right forum, I just want to know.

2. BallCoach

BallCoach Member

"Does people know if... u rip and burn a copy of their DVD?"

I say now it depend on just who the people is and where dey is when you is doing da burnin'

3. BallCoach

BallCoach Member

Forgot the smiley on the above msg.

:)

4. squizzle

squizzle Active member

Umm, yeah "people" rip and burn DVD's. What's your actual question?

5. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

If your question is can someone tell if you copied there original DVD or not the I will have to tell you yes!!! They can tell how many time you viewed it also. They can tell just about anything you do with there DVD. So if you copied someone elses DVD I would tell you you got out and buy them a new one and replace the other one. Now if you copied one from your local video store or BlockBuster or something you may already be in trouble because they have trackers pressed into there DVD's. They can narrow it all the way down to your exact address, and a company like BlockBuster checks there disks every time you return them. I would highly recommend you stop copying other peoples DVD's and just stick to backing up your own..

6. brobear

brobear Guest

Yes, and if copies are played on a PC or an entertainment center with a phone line hookup, they can call home and supply their owner with information on the location the copy is being played at. So, companies like blockbuster know when the copies are being played and where in a lot of cases. ;)

7. RCCola

RCCola Member

Normaly, I disconnect my phone and pull the curtains in living room when I view a backup like that ... makes me feel safe ... once your local video store gets your number, your done for.

8. CKY_2084

CKY_2084 Guest

So in order to be tracked down you have to have a phone line plugged in????

9. Noqoilpi

Noqoilpi Regular member

nO they have satellites now. You think they are bad, just wait till you download. Then the RIAA will bust down your door and drag you away. :-(

10. TaylorSPL

TaylorSPL Guest

...or be connected to a wireless network.

11. CKY_2084

CKY_2084 Guest

Heres an idea. Just use a PC not connected to anything. Just use the PC to backup movies then you have no worries even if you backed up a friends movie.

12. Noqoilpi

Noqoilpi Regular member

Nice try but they can monitor the ethernet.

13. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

A guy I know got nailed for that. He was copying discs from Netflix and nothing happened at his home because up until a week or so ago he never had a phone line. He just used his cell phone for calls and would check his emails and so forth from his laptop at an internet cafe but he recently got broadband and a phone line put in and bam! he got a letter from Paramount, Dreamworks and Columbia within a week stating that they had collected information that he was using illegal backups and they listed the titles of four the Netflix copies he'd played within the last week.

14. CKY_2084

CKY_2084 Guest

Yes I understand that, but what I am saying is that if someone wanted to do then if they had a PC that never had contact with anything no internet no phoneline or network cables, just a PC solely for backing up DVDs and a DVD player that never connectes to a phone line or satelite reciever with a phoneline and only made a select few backups of a friends movie and never lent his backups to anyone or told anyone he even had backups and used the select few for personal entertainment only.

15. CKY_2084

CKY_2084 Guest

Also Neph is that is true about netflix then i got a friend that will be in trouble he has like 70 DVDs that he copied from netflix and I told him that it was a risk doing something like that, so I wouldnt doubt if it was a matter of time before they did anything to him. As for me I only have like 3 DVDs that I backed up off of another friend but if thats all very true maybe I will get rid of them and just keep my backups.

16. JeVo

JeVo Member

I just copied 3 from Netflix about a while ago and I have copied 3 from Hollywood Video. Man, this burning isn't all that if doing that wasn't legal. So I'm stopping from here, but I just brought 100 pack of blank DVD+R coming in. What a waste. So then what if u play it on a DVD player only? Do they still catch u for that?

17. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

didn't you know you can send info over the hydro lines. thats how they can spy on you even when not connected to the net or phone. cd/dvds have an embedded program to send thru the electrical lines, so if want to use computer better get a generator

18. brobear

brobear Guest

The additional problem is that the original has been copied and when that one is played, it has the info on it that it was copied and includes the number ID of the computer that did the copy. That means your PC ID is out there floating around. All PCs have a unique ID number embedded in the BIOS memory.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2005
  19. brobear

brobear Guest

When they come and ask the friend who made a copy or borrowed the disc, is he going to take the blame or give you up?

20. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

come one nephilim and ddp, you guys know very well that there has been a fullproof method for over coming the chips put in rental dvds to alert the authorities to illegal copying. you shouldn't keep this very important info from newbies.

ok jevo, heres the lowdown on how to backup rental dvds without getting caught. what you have to do is disable the chip implanted in the dvd's. there is only one way to safely and reliably do this. the chip is susceptable to intense, focused heat.

what you do is wrap the dvd in a papertowel, put it in the microwave, set the microwave to high for 3 mins. and there you go, chip disabled, and you can safely make backups.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.