Converting .aa files to mp3's

Discussion in 'Audio' started by marcpod, Aug 24, 2004.

1. jadoglio

jadoglio Member

Make sure the file MSVCI70.dll is located in your c:\Windows\system32 folder. If you need the file you can download it from a DLL site. Just use Google and search on DLL Files to find it.

2. ezug

ezug Guest

Thanks for your thought - it doesn't seem to have made a difference. Once I drag an Audible aa file into goldwave, i get the message again that it can't read the file format and asks me to choose vox or raw(something like that)- i leave it at the default - could that be what is wrong? What attributes should i follow for that box?

Also, after trying this last night, i was prompted to download a LAME mp3 decoder, I think. Not sure how that comes into play.

All I get when i do play is a high pitched static, even though it says file format is now mp3.

Sorry to be dense; just trying to figure out what else i should be doing differently.

thanks!

3. kubicek

kubicek Member

Hi,

I'm a freelance programmer with mostly audio-related knowhow. I would like to subscribe to Audible but not sooner than I have a simple and easy way of playing their stuff on my current player, iAudio G3, which - like many otherwise great and expensive players out there - doesn't support AA's DRM'd format natively. I've decided to create a single-purpose utility to de-DRM Audible format (or convert it to MP3). I prefer programming in plain C from which everybody could benefit, as the tool would be multiplatform, running both on Linux and Windows.

The thing is I need a sample file of each format for analysis and later testing. Is there anybody who could send me one file of the type 1-3 (ACELP codec) and one type 4 (MP3 codec)??

I sure would be thankful for the help. In fact all of us, trying to protect our rights to listen to the content we PAID for any way we like.

The tool will work in "batch" mode, converting more files in one go, e.g. you'd specify a directory of source AA files and a destination dir for decrypted/converted content. Your future suggestions will be taken into account and I will release all versions on this forum as thanks for your participation and help on this opensource project. The source code will of course be licensed under GNU GPL allowing you to use/redistribute/modify it freely.

Thanks for your support, guys!!
    David

4. noushina

noushina Member

Ezuk. Sorry. I have no idea. I just drag them into the window and it works. I am not seeing a little audible window now either. Strange. It's just a tiny pop up. I assume its related to the DRM.

You dont need to worry about cue points. That is only so you can split the file. Just load it and try to play it. If you can play it then you can save it in whatever format. That you don't have the Lame encoder means you can't save as mp3. But I think your issue is that you cant even read it.

Does anyone know if Goldwave 5.13 works? Ezuk is using 5.13. I'm using 5.10.

Kubicek. WHile I believe I have a right to make a legitimate copy of my own ebooks, I also beleive that I have probably agreed to be bound to the audible contract which probably says I SHALL not decrypt or decode the data or some such sh-t. Giving you a copy of any file including the free ones with my name attached would personally identify me.

It costs $10 to join audible (it used to be free). Then you can download the a $0 cost book. If you intend to join audible anyhow and are confident in your abilities, then join and buy. I think most of us have already made backups of our audible books. It takes 2 minutes to the hour with GoldWave.

5. nerys

nerys Member

Agreed its easy to get audible files legitimately.

also note I dont recognize the part of any agreement with audible to not decrypt. That is called fair use and is protected by law and since any agreement with audible is one sided (you can not negotiate the agreement) its not an agreement to me. its an acceptance of ultimatum style terms.

Fair Use trumps. Its the law and the law trumps contracts. as far as I am concerned fair use dictates my personal use and the "contract" dictates my non personal use only.

that contract says I cant give you the files and giving you the files is non personal.

I would really love to see a simple utility that strips the DRM and leaves a NON ReEncoded original quality MP3

that would be very nice. I have a VERY large collection of expensive audible books (paid $12.95 a month for 3 years !!) would really suck to see it go poof if audible goes poof and I can not "authenticate" my purchased property.

Chris Taylor
    http://www.nerys.com/

6. jadoglio

jadoglio Member

Again, if all you want to do it conver aa files to MP3 Total Audio Converter did a great job and was very easy to use.

7. nerys

nerys Member

I dont want to "convert" this requires that I either loose a ton of quality (yes I can hear it quite noticably) or end up with a much much larger file.

Type 4 is basically mp3 so I am hoping there is a way to strip the DRM and end up with a file that an mp3 player can play WITHOUT having to "convert" ie "recompress" the file :)

Chris Taylor
    http://www.nerys.com/

8. ezug

ezug Guest

Thanks, all, for all the suggestions. I'm almost there! Found that I was missing the couple of .dll files everyone keeps referring to, so downloaded and installed those as well as the AudibleMediaPlayerfilter.exe.
    All works well now with both GoldWave and Total Audio Converter, except that the converted mp3 file starts somewhere strange, not at the beginning of the book. I know I am missing info - not quite sure where it has started.

Can't figure out why it's not starting at the begining - any thoughts? When I play the file through my iTunes or Audible Manager, it seems to start fine.
    Thanks, noushina, for all the help - I have followed instructions you posted. Any other thoughts?

Almost there!
    Liz

9. jadoglio

jadoglio Member

Before converting the file make sure you rewind it to the beginning and then stop the playback there. You can also delete the bookmark file Audible leaves which will also solve the probem. The file name and instructions are int this thread in about a hundred places. Sorry I don't have time to look for them now. Good Luck

10. ezug

ezug Guest

Yayyy! It all worked - thank you all your several suggestions. Wish I knew enough to be of more help here, but I am grateful for your responses and help!

Have a great day-
    liz

11. IJKMan

IJKMan Member

Has Audible has recently changed its security? I have been using GW for a long time, but recently some files can no longer be opened. Anyone else had this experience?

12. chrislove

chrislove Member

Alright I'm new here.
    I have spent a lot of time reading this entire thread and trying everything suggested in order to listen to my Audible books in my car mp3 player.
    Obviously I've had no luck since I'm posting here.

All links that supposedly direct to older versions of RiverPast all begin downloading the latest version--6.5
    I've downloaded five different conversion programs, none of which will do it for me. Most will convert but leave me with a high-pitched static filled mp3. Total Audio Converter insists I download an Audible codec. (Is this the LAME codec I keep seeing mentioned? If not, what IS the LAME codec?)
    Whenever I try to install this Audible codec, I get a message saying "Error Copying Files."

I'm getting ready to pull my hair out. I agree with those saying that Audible is losing business by limiting the possibility of using other formats. I joined Audible.com only to listen to books in my car. If I can't do that, they will lose my business.

13. noushina

noushina Member

Is audible installed on the computer you are trying to use to reformat the files? If you can play your books with audible then the audible codec is installed and working on your computer. If you answer yes, then I have no other suggestions.

14. corps

corps Guest

Chrislove

If you have the problem with static sound on the conversion you need to download one more file to get it to work - a link can be found on the total audio converter web site. it basically seems to enable media player to play .aa files. Anything you may be using for the conversion appears to convert the file using a decoder in media player. Before i downloaded it nothing worked - after everything did (goldwave, avone etc.)

http://download.audible.com/webinstall/AudibleMediaPlayerFilter.exe

Cheers and good luck

Corps

15. chrislove

chrislove Member

Okay, soon after I posted my last message I got dbPowerAmp to work by getting a missing "dll" file. And it finally worked!
    Soon after that, I installed a new hard drive and had to start over. No problem right?

I installed everything onto my new harddrive (Audible, dbPowerAmp, the dll file, the Lame codec). Now when I open dbPowerAmp, I can't open aa files with it for some reason. My only choices are "Music files and playlists," Auxiliary, CD audio (.cda), mpg, mpa, mpga, mpx, mp1, mp2, mp3, and wav. None of these will show me the aa files in my folder. Yes it's the correct folder, I've checked a dozen times. Any clue what I'm doing wrong this time?

16. ezug

ezug Guest

hi chris,
    I am running now but it seems to me, when I had the same problem setting this up a month ago, that I finally made it work when I downloaded the file AudibleMediaPlayerfilter.exe - I believe I stopped getting the same error message you are after i loaded that. Try to google the file - can't remember if it was on the Audible or Apple website or not.

I now use Goldwave with the lame codec and it seems to work.

HTH
    Liz

17. chrislove

chrislove Member

I'm not getting any error messages.

It's when I go to open an audible file using dbPowerAmp, it will not show me aa files. The drop-down list only has limited options, none of which show me the aa files.

dbPowerAmp worked great for me before on my old harddrive just last week.

18. petermus

petermus Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2006
  19. chrislove

chrislove Member

Okay, I don't see anywhere on that site to try it for free before buying. I must be missing it.

20. alaneric

alaneric Member