1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ask Your Vista Questions Here.

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by ozzy214, Feb 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Seeing as it doesn't have this..

# 1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
    # 1 GB of system memory
    # 40 GB hard drive with at least 15 GB of available space
    # Support for DirectX 9 graphics with:

* WDDM Driver
    * 128 MB of graphics memory (minimum)
    * Pixel Shader 2.0 in hardware
    * 32 bits per pixel

You will take a serious performance hit. As the ram in that laptop is slow (333) and only 512Mb even vista basic will represent a serious performance downgrade.

Stay with XP or look for free open source alternatives, Mandriva is reported to be blazing fast on this system with the odd wireless networking issue (cnet)

Microcrap and Intel cartel strike again.

2. ckystyler

ckystyler Member

that sucks

3. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

As much as I hate Vista it is the only way to experience DX10.

This means for gamers that it looks like 4GB RAM may not be so far fetched. 2GB is the current gaming standard and the 2GB Kits from very well known companies can fall under $200 after rebates at times.

A 'Vista Ready' gaming rig can actually be made for a decent price too. I made one the other day online for $2,400 (Shipping incl.) which equated to about $1,900 after rebates.

On the whole "Vista" editions:

The "Bill Gates" edition is supposedly signed by him, which is totally pointless and a stupid reason to buy it. But it does include both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions which could appeal to enthusiasts looking to go 64-bit when more and more apps go that direction.

4. ckystyler

ckystyler Member

what edition other than ultimate could i run

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

basic

6. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

i spoke to the owner of a computer store yesurday who was doing a survey on wheher windows vista is any better than xp.he told me "not really but bill gates will get rich from it".that to me explains everyhing.

7. ZippyDSM

ZippyDSM Active member

if you run it minus Aero IE normal XP GUI it should run a little slower than XP but it should run,that is it will even install it.

I wonder when Nlite will have a config installer for VIster :3

8. ckystyler

ckystyler Member

is there any possible way i could get it to work....get better ram...or anything else thanx

9. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

can try more ram but other than that you are dead in the water. can't upgrade videocard except for sharing more of the main ram which you need for vista to run properly. other option is get a new vista compatible laptop or stay with xp, your choice.

10. ZippyDSM

ZippyDSM Active member

my Motherboard or ramm has been giving me hell lately I am ready to upgrade to a AGP core duo mobo with a 6600 CPU from there I can finish upgrading alter to a 800Mhz DDr 2 and mobo,I dun care about vister just need a working simi fast computer :p

mmmm *sigh* maybe I should just get a new 939 cpu and ramm for now....I hate mulling things over I change thoughts to much ><

11. ireland

ireland Active member

here we go again,[/b]

Vista Followup Already in the Works
    Posted by Zonk on Saturday February 10, @06:33AM
    from the let-the-corpse-of-xp-cool-first dept.
    Windows Microsoft
    DesertBlade passed us an InfoWorld article, which has the news that Microsoft is already hard at work on the next version of Windows ... and we may see it as early as 2009. Possibly codenamed Vienna, the next Windows iteration will be coming a brief two and a half years after Vista's launch. This is the same timeframe Microsoft claims it would have utilized for Vista, had they not put Longhorn 'on the back burner' to deal with security issues in XP. Corporate Vice President of Development Ben Fathi is already discussing features for the next OS: "We're going to look at a fundamental piece of enabling technology. Maybe its hypervisors, I don't know what it is ... Maybe it's a new user interface paradigm for consumers. It's too early for me to talk about it ... But over the next few months I think you're going to start hearing more and more."

Microsoft: Vista follow-up likely in 2009

Robert McMillan Fri Feb 9, 12:49 PM ET

San Francisco (IDGNS) - With Vista just out the door, Microsoft is now drawing up plans to deliver its follow-up client operating system by the end of 2009, according to the executive in charge of building the product's core components.
    ADVERTISEMENT

That would be a much faster turn-around than Vista, which shipped more than five years after
    Windows XP, but Vista was exceptional, said Ben Fathi, corporate vice president of development with Microsoft's Windows Core Operating System Division this week at the RSA Conference in San Francisco.

Microsoft originally planned for its XP follow-up to include a number of radical changes to Windows, including a new file system and a reinvented user interface, but after the company's products were hit by widespread worm outbreaks in 2003, Microsoft redirected almost its entire engineering effort to locking down Windows with the XP Service Pack 2 release.

"We put Longhorn on the back burner for awhile," Fathi said. "Then when we came back to it, we realized that there were incremental things that we wanted to do, and significant improvements that we wanted to make in Vista that we couldn't deliver in one release."

Vista shipped about two-and-a-half years after XP SP 2, and Vista's follow-up is expected to take about the same amount of time, according to Fathi. "You can think roughly two, two-and-a-half years is a reasonable time frame that our partners can depend on and can work with," he said. "That's a good timeframe for refresh."

That time line would put Microsoft's next client operating system out by the end of 2009.

Last year, Microsoft said that the code name for this Vista follow-up is Vienna, but Fathi said he could not disclose the current name. "We've been told not to use it publicly," he said.

So what will be the coolest new feature in Vienna?

According to Fathi, that's still being worked out. "We're going to look at a fundamental piece of enabling technology. Maybe its hypervisors, I don't know what it is," he said. "Maybe it's a new user interface paradigm for consumers."

"It's too early for me to talk about it," he added. "But over the next few months I think you're going to start hearing more and more."
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20070209/tc_infoworld/85937

12. rihgt682

rihgt682 Regular member

My friends have vista on his computer and it's pretty cool. He said there is few bugs but it's good OS better than xp. I also have retail Vista ultimate disc in my hand.I'm sticking with xp till sp1 comes out.

If you can afford vista than get it right now!!! It's nice.

13. ZippyDSM

ZippyDSM Active member

I wouldn't call it better than XP,XP supports more hardware and software and has less bugs,vista is a whole new can of worms.

14. WierdName

WierdName Regular member

All it did for me was lag up my system. I actually reformated the partition that was supposed to be for vista and turned it into my music drive! Thats what I think of vista, lol. It looks cool but runs like crap if you dont buy the absolute lastest hardware.

15. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Your friend was dead wrong, and so are you, if you think Vista is good. Bill Gates loves folks that think Vista (big brother is watching) is good.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2007
  16. ZippyDSM

ZippyDSM Active member

eeehhhhhhhhhhh vista is kinda like ME only with more potential I have seen it work good and seen it work bad ,I'd rather not deal with it for acouple more years.

17. rihgt682

rihgt682 Regular member

That's why i'm waiting for sp1. I guess it will come out in a year. But it's so hard to wait cause i have a copy of vista in my room!!! My friend show me this cool thing It's like 3D taskbar or something. You can see all the stuff you have running in 3D. Pretty cool stuff.

Microsoft adviser said my hardware can run vista and it's 2 years old PC. My friend who's currenty useing vista is a year old pc. I gotta say, i was pretty impress with vista. Directx10 for gaming!!!

18. ZippyDSM

ZippyDSM Active member

theres a difference in running it and using it,never forget that *L*

19. tranquash

tranquash Regular member

Good morning all!!!

has your friend tried ripping anything on vista???

20. janrocks

janrocks Guest

"I would rather serve in hell than rule with Vista." This implies that Vista is significantly worse than hell. Satan would rather have complete control of his own existence, even at the cost of damnation, rather than serve god in his version of heaven.

I would rather deal with Linux, and it's lack of drivers, non-standard software, and endless work arounds, than accept Microsoft's easier system that dares to tell me what I can and cannot do with my own property.

Microsoft has decided that you Microslaves have to pay to serve them, and that they have the right to dictate what you are allowed to do.
    I have decided to be free of them.

As for why I'm trolling, well, it's clear that M$ has no real fans. There is clear evidence that Vista is nothing but XP with some evil shit packed into it. So you Microslaves are clearly paid shills sent in to attack the truth about Vista.
    The more you act like Zealots and shout down the truth, the louder I will become. Your M$ paychecks will dry up long before my resolve.

I would rather rule in hell, than serve in Vista.
    All Microslave fanboys must die.

Words of another Free Open Source paramilitary. Respect where it is due. (hey ireland, I saw you digg this too)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.