1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

laserdisc to dvd

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by game9999, Feb 15, 2005.

1. game9999

game9999 Guest

does any one here know how i can transfer my laserdisc collection to dvd?
    thanks in advance
    game

2. shiroh

shiroh Guest

i think you need to capture it first.

3. pfh

pfh Guest

I think you are still basically talking about transfering an anolog signal to a digital dvd format. So the rules and guides concerning the various methods to do this apply.
    Convert->Author->Burn. Your laserdisc player (never had one) most likely has video/audio lines out just like a vcr that would be used to feed the signal into what ever conversion process you decide to go with. If you check out the ways to do vhs to dvd you'd be well onto educating yourself for your needs.

4. bebekid

bebekid Member

Hi,

I actually provide a service for people like yourself who want to transfer laserdisc and vhs tapes to dvd with high quality results. If you're interested, email me at nycboy_1999@yahoo.com. Otherwise here are my suggestions.

If your Laserdisc unit has S-Video outs, use these instead of the composite because you'll get a better picture quaility. If not, use the composite output. Not that composite is bad, but S-Video would have a higher resolution transfer. You will need some sort of device that will allow you to capture the video into the computer. Beware, there are MANY capture cards out there that PROMISE great results and fall very short. Expect to spend at least $200 for something decent and stay away from ATI All in Wonder products because the capture isn't consistently good (I wasted $200 on the 9600 and everything else was pretty good except the capture).

The last parts are software and a dvd burner. Usually with your capture card (or unit), some sort of software will be provide (which will generally suck). You may want to research this forum and videohelp.com for additional information. The Dvd burner is probably the easiest part of this. Maybe get something that can burn to DVD+-R.

Just a note, video capture can become EXTEMELY complicated and costly. I know, because I thought I could master this stuff in less than a month and it took me 2 years before I had a high quality dvd. If you just want to transfer a few laserdiscs, my advice is to use a service like myself or someone else. If you really want to get into this and have the patience, time and money, then research this forum and videohelp.com. Also, read the reviews of any products or software that you're about to purchase. THIS will save you a lot of time and money.

5. Sherman

Sherman Member

Maybe not. Here's what I do:

1. Purchase a standalone DVD recorder ($300, price going down).

2. Connect the outputs of the laser player to the inputs of the DVD recorder.

3. Insert blank DVD disk ($.50) in recorder and press RECORD.

4. Insert laser disk in player and press PLAY.

5. Walk away.

6. Come back in a few hours and you're done.

Works for me.