1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVI to DVD

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by pgraveran, Feb 21, 2005.

1. pgraveran

pgraveran Member

I'm having a nightmare trying to burn a movie from my hard drive, I use nero 6 ultra with dvd shrink, the problem is that when I open dvd shrink and click in open files after locating the file ( which is sn avi file ) I get the next message : THE SYSTEM CANNOT FIND THE FILE SPECIFIED. Can anybody help me with this?

Thanks.

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

I know it's kind of cool to see your nick as a thread title but next time use something more decriptive to the problem.

DVD Shrink won't recognize AVI so you'll need to use something like Nero Vision Express (since you already have Nero 6 Ultra) to convert the AVI to the proper MPEG-2 VOB/IFO/BUP format that Shrink likes :)

3. pgraveran

pgraveran Member

If I dont have nero vision express what other program can I use to convert the file?

4. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

You can use a plethora of different apps to encode avi/mpg to MPEG-2 (which is DVD player compliant)

Just use TMPGEnc DVD Author to convert MPEG-2 to VOB format (whilst creating a menu if needed). Then burn with Nero Burning Rom or TMPGEnc DVD Author burn engine.

You really want to have a read up on this subject matter tho , and I'll move this thread to DVD-R for Newbies (the correct place ... me thinks)

5. pgraveran

pgraveran Member

I did converted the file to an mpeg2 using winavi, however when I go to the file still shows as an avi file, do I have to do anything else after converting it in order for it to show as an mpeg2?

6. herbsman

When encoding using MainConcept MPEG Encoder I have to set it to 'DVD' (which actually gives MPEG-2 output , correct screen res & 48Hz audio ... so DVD complaint)
    You have to title the file .mpg also btw , so are you telling me after encoding you have an avi file of 3-4 Gb or so ?
    And when you say you go to open & browse for the file it still shows as avi , well are you looking in the save folder of where encoded file was output to ?>?

7. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

@herbsman

While I don't share your level of antipathy toward NVE, and find it quite good for many of the tasks I use it for, I'm interested in learning how to use other, more "advanced" encoders, for the occasions when NVE isn't adequate. Hence, I've purchased a copy of Mainconcept's MPEG encoder. And my first two tries have been disappointing: it is crapping out on copying the audio of the AVI file I'm trying to encode.

Everything looks correct when I set it up, and it doesn't put up any kind of error messages during the encoding. But when I go to play the mpeg2 file it created, I get a split-second of audio, and then silence for the rest of the playback.

Thing is, this particular AVI encoded to dvd using NVE just fine. And on a lark, I ran the AVI through VSO's DivxtoDvd; it too, encoded the sound just fine. So, I'm not at a loss to get the AVI in question to mpeg2/VOB format.

But I don't like to admit failure, and really do want to be fair to Mainconcept. Can you suggest anything I might look into regarding audio properties that might account for why Mainconcept cannot properly encode the audio?

8. herbsman

Did you have it set to

[bold]DVD
    Program : Audio + Video
    Layer 2
    NTSC [or PAL]
    [/bold]
    Thus:
    [​IMG]

To be honest I can't imagine why you'd be having any trouble but if you want to PM me with some exact details I will try & help resolve efficient usage of MainConcept :)

After that's done , I would then use TMPGEnc DVD Author to convert to VOB format [adding chapters but probably not menu]. It has a burning engine but I choose to use Nero

Last edited: Feb 24, 2005