1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"verify written data" for audio cds fails in Nero

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Stefan197, Feb 27, 2005.

1. Stefan197

Stefan197 Guest

Hello there,

the above option has been added to nero in its last versions.

For EVERY audio cd i burnt which version 6.6.0.6 in each of my two burners this verification fails
    with many error messages like "read error at sector...., though nero reports every time "burning process completed successfully" and the CDs actually seem to play fine in the burners as well as in my CD player.
    CD diagnostic tools ( including Nero tool kit!) report the CDs are ok.

I have now version 6.6.0.8 and in a few burning tests I made so far the problem didnt occur; but the additions of the new version listed on Nero HP dont seem to be related to the verification problem.

anyone with similar experiences or ideas what could be the reason?

thank you,

Stefan

2. weazel200

weazel200 Regular member

So you say an error message comes up and says it has failed yet the process has actually worked. Are you copying an audio cd, if so then I too have had this experience and I think it is down to the disc you are copying from. Some audio cd's have a copy protection filter put on them which cant be copied but doesn't make a difference most of the time as they can be sucessfully copied with the errror message given. As long as the backup works then i shudnt worry too much. I'm no expert but that is the most likely explanation in my opinion.

3. Stefan197

Stefan197 Guest

Hello,

No the sources were downloaded wav files from hard disk. Im stll communicating with nero support about this matter. Again, reports of similar experiences are appreciated.

thanks,

stefan

4. AHERARD

AHERARD Member

I have exactly (as described in your message) the same problem. I will try your solution of installing version 6.6.0.8 et let you know of the results.

However here are some observations:

1) I do get the message : Burn process completed successfully.
    2) The data verification then starts at 4 to 5 x but when it hits more than 80% of the verification (on a DVD 4.5 Gb) it starts to slow down rapidly and then stabilize to around 256 Kb to 192 Kb.
    3) When that happens, the CD/DVD -r light, who was flashing very rapidly at a verification of 4 to 5 x, flashes occasionnally with the same with the HDD Red light indicating very little activity.
    4) After many hours, then a long list of error message will appear (exactly like into your original message)
    5)I decided to use WINDIFF to do this verification, but this reliable program also failed after around 80% of the DVD. Now we have two programs that have difficulties to compare data.
    CONCLUSION: Maybe the problem is (was) into the encoding of Nero 6 which is different as we reach the end of the disk.

In any case, I'm now installing version 6.6.0.8 and I will let you know if the problem is resolved.

Note: You know, when you have such a problem it is so conforting to learn that an other user had the same problem and found a solution.

5. Stefan197

Stefan197 Guest

Hello,
    this sounds quite similar to my problem, but in my case the verification process didnt take that long.

Even if the error didnt occur with the latest nero version, I'd still like to know what exactly had caused the problem and if the burtnt cds are actually ok.

curious on your reports..

thank you,

Stefan

6. AHERARD

AHERARD Member

I did install version 6.6.0.8. But the problem did not dissapear. The data verification process went higher (92%) and then failed. The error messages indicated multiple errors on the DVD as before.

I have been using TDK DVD-R for many years but when my problems started, I had the new TDK Print-On DVD-R. Bought at Costco I figured that it would be the same product as before because they were made also by TDK, only with the added white label. After trying 8 DVD, most with version 6.6.0.6 and 2 with version 6.6.0.8, I decided to try with the regular TDK DVD-R I've been using for so many years.
    NO PROBLEMO !

I then completed a serie of 7 different DVD with perfect duplication and impeccable Data verification.

My theory : The problem is not into NERO version 6.6.0.8 or even the previous one, the problem is related to the medium used and the CD/DVD writer. In my case I'm using a Pioneer A-105, one of the most reliable at the time. I did have reliability problems many years ago until I found those TDK medium.

What happened to me, is that the Data Verification process had a hard time READING the burned medium, so he slows down with an algorith that forces re-read and ECC and after a long while gives you an error message and passes to the next sector. This is the conclusion I had when I tried WINDIFF on the same ''faulty'' DVD. Windiff took longer to tell me that this or that file on the burned media was unreadable or different.

So this is what I think happenned. NERO version 6.6.0.6 or version 6.6.0.8 Data Verification process mostly check if the burned DVDR or CDR can be easily read, first at the highest verification speed (around 5 to 10 x) - depending on the burner, and if he has problems, will lower his data verification speed all the way to it's lowest (192 Kb/s) and, at that speed, NERO will keep trying in many different ways to complete his task until a certain time-out when the error message is given before he goes to the next sector.

In my case, the medium was defective for the last 20 % of the disk and if WINDIFF also had problems with the same burned disk , then the burning is nor reliable even if NERO said that it was burned successfully. My guess is that NERO will verify his writing at the speed he his writing with some checksum method which doesn't mean that the written data can be easily read at a higher or different speed.

So my advice for any reader, if you have similar problems with NERO, first, get the latest release version 6.6.0.8 and if the problem persist, try an other brand of CD or DVD. They may be a little bit more expensive but if you took the time to duplicate a DVD or transfer 4,5 Gb of data on such a media, you want your copy to last and you want to be able to access it easily. They are no utility that I know now, that can ''repair'' a faulty DVD OD CD like NDD used to do.

Once you found a reliable brand, STICK WITH IT !

7. gastonn

gastonn Member

Hello Stefan197...

Did Nero ever provide you with a solution to your problem? I seem to be having the same issue and have not been able to find a solution.

Thanks for your help!