1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD - R DL

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by wolfniggr, Feb 28, 2005.

1. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

Does anyone know if the Plextor dvd + R DL burner is the only drive so far that has firmware to enable it to read and write to dvd-r dl media? And does anyone know if all dl burners will be upgradable to -R DL? I figure that since these drives are + and - for single layer media, making it that way for DL media wouldn't be that difficult.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2005
  2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Thats a good question. Tp my knowledge ther is no such thig as -R DL media? Or is there? Where did you hear or see -R DL media or burner?

3. smackfrog

smackfrog Member

I read somwhere that the Nec3250 is supposed to have a firmware release that will allow for -R DL compatability. Sorry I don't know where I read that but it was a review for the drive somwhere.

4. forkndave

forkndave Member

The Pioneer DVR 109 will support -R DL through a firmware update as soon as there are any -R DL available. I guess the specs haven't been finalized yet, at least according to Pioneer.

5. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

Well bbmayo, time to read up. Nero is the first burning rom to support this format. Now that I have it, I need a goddamn firmware update. I was all excited last week when I downloaded the latest firmware for my burners(there hadn't been one for a while), and I assumed that this update would make my burners -R DL compatible. I was disapointed when it didn't. So now, I'm just waiting. I want to find out if the data has to be equal on both layers like on +R DL media.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2005
  6. forkndave

forkndave Member

A while back I decided to try some DL, so I bought 3 at Walmart for $30.00. The first one I used Anydvd, DVD Shrink and Nero to burn. I got a DVD that would only play on my computer. AnyDVD said that the structure was incorrect. I burned another one using DVD Decrypter only, ISO read and ISO write and it worked fine. That only cost me $20.00 to copy a movie. I have one left and I can't think of any movie that is worth using it. Since nobody makes any printable DL I probably won't be using any more until they do and they get a whole lot cheaper. My only interest in DL is that there is enough room to include DTS audio on DVDs that have it.

7. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

I only buy them when I get my reward zone bucks from bestbuy. I think I've spent $40 on eight 3pks. I have noticed a recent price drop on those. I hope it keeps droping.

8. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

wolfniggr,
    OK I searched all over and can't find anyone selling DL -R disks anywhere? So why the need to update firmware to read or copy a disk that isn't even produced yet? If you know who makes those and or sells them please share with us :)

9. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

[​IMG]

My homie in south central O.C. can get these and other brands for me. As soon as I give the word, he'll have his brother send them over from the land of the rising sun.
    He's also hooked me up with a lot of import games since the famicom/megadrive days.
    bbmayo, you seem a little skeptical about this, why is that? Not everyone knows everything. I asked some questions to find more info, I didn't think(well I knew someone would) anyone would give me shit. Don't worry, I'll post my findings as soon as I get results. Have you experimented with DL? What programs worked for you? Did you have issues with the layer break?
    I like to hear results and info, especially when I know little or nothing on the subject. It helps make me more successful and less likely to make costly mistakes.

Conichiwa, bitches.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2005
  10. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Not at all just curious. I like to try everything out and until you posted this thread I have never heard of DL -R DVD's. Yes I have burned a few DL disks using only DVD Decrypter, but the cost of the disk doesn't make it to cost efective, but the prices are comming down. The ones I did with Decrypter came out perfectly though I had no issues. Simply use Decrypter in "Mode" "ISO Reade R" and then burn the image with Decrypter in "Mode" "ISO Write W"

11. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

Good deal. Just out of curiosity, what dvd videos did you back up on DL? Do you remember if they had extra content(interactual player, jacket picture folder, ect.) that a regular ripper ignores? If so, did Decrypter ignore it also in iso mode or did it add those features to your backup as well?

12. tsquare43

tsquare43 Regular member

Curiosity question (is that an oxymoron?):

What is the advantage to DL? Is it because you can copy much longer movies and not have to split between discs? I don't have a DL capable burner (don't have a capabal burner of any type), so I was just curious. At $9.00-$10.00 a pop, it must be something good.

13. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

It is good, but not justified due to price just yet. Most DVD videos are dual layer(DVD9). This is why when you back up your movies you have to compress or rip part of the DVD. With DL media, there is no need for compression or exclusion of content. You can back up the entire DVD without any compromise.

14. tsquare43

tsquare43 Regular member

wolfniggr: Thanks for the info. I think I will wait for the price of DL media to go down before going down that road.

15. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

It's dropping. I've noticed a 16% price drop in the last 3 months. I think it is due to the amount of manufacturers that are now comming out with their own dl discs. If this keeps up, the price should be decent by summers end. If the demand increases, maybe it'll drop even sooner.

16. dnelson66

dnelson66 Member

the Lacie d2 External 16x Dual-Layer DVD+/-RW Drive with FireWire/USB2.0 (Model 300920)

will read and write all four formats. +R +RW -R and -RW

17. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

I don't think this can burn to DVD-R DL yet, only +R DL.

18. cougar_ii

cougar_ii Regular member

Hello everyone,

http://www.vso-software.fr/

CopyToDVD 3.0.47
    ----------------
    Supports DVD-R DL ( Double Layer )
    16th of March, 2005

Once again, VSO-Software is proud to deliver the latest technology updates. Today you can enjoy the DVD-R DL format with the latest CopyToDVD 3.0.47. At the moment, only Plextor PX-716 and Pioneer 109 support this format.

FYI

19. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

Nero has been able to burn to -R DL media since last month.(The first to do so) I have seen plextor and pioneer drives at retail stores that have a sticker saying something along the lines of "DVD-R DL burning with latest firmware update". Still waiting for my burner's firmware update that will enable me to use -R DL.

20. ivorbigin

ivorbigin Member

iodata version of the nec 3520 has just released a firmware update for dl-r