1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Netflix and the Post Office

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by Oopsla, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Oopsla

Oopsla Guest

Anybody have trouble with our blessed USPS? I swear someone there is swiping my Netflixx returns. Kinda ticks me off a second one disappeared. I decided now to travel to another Post Office across town to mail them back. Guess somebody there likes movies. If anyone has had movies disappear please write as I want to know if this is a local thing or if people just like swiping red envelopes.

2. djscoop

djscoop Active member

I've had netflix for about a year now, and in that time I've lost 2 in the mail. (And I usually get ~5 per week). If I were you I would call that post office and talk to the manager, cause thats pretty F'd up. Who knows what else they're swiping. I would guess its a pretty common thing, especially since netflix will just replace it no questions asked.

3. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

I haven't lost any movies yet but I did have a very nice Cold Steel Tanto folding knife I bought off ebay never make it to my hands even though it was supposedly delivered to my mailbox. The postman almost saw me go postal on him :)

4. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

I've had Netflix for a year and never had any disks go missing, though I do think my local netflix guy got wise to the way I use the service, since for about 8 months I'd send the three disks back on the same day I got them, and they'd arrive back in the guys PO Box on or before the date that netflix said I should recieve them, lol. The guy started holdig them a day or two, and it totally fucked up my routine. Now I have resigned myself to getting 6 dvd's a week, instead of the 9 i was accostumed to :/ . :p lol

dude, do you have a death wish or something!! :0 Don't you know that when those guys go postal, they do it with an ak47 at least! lol

5. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

Ive never had a movie lost, but I think once they get to back to netflix,thats when they lose mine.
    You guys complaining about only getting 9,6, and 5 dvds a week.I was lucky to get 3 a week, and they still tried to slow me down.They deliberately hold movies till the next day.I once got a cracked one,and the site said "report it damaged, and we will send you another one immediately"...yeah right immediately when were damn good and ready!
    I cancelled my membership f*** em

Sorry about the rant,I saw the word [bold]netflix[/bold] and just had to chip in my 2 cents

6. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

it depends a lot on where you live. the PO box my returned envelopes are sent to is actually in my neighborhood post office, so it's next day all the way for me. But if you don't live in a large metro area, I'd imagine the shipping can take a bit longer.

7. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

Well mine was 250 miles away so it took 3 days,from the time I got the notice, till the time I got them.
    Hell I could walk that far in 3 days LOL (well maybe not)
    I live in the largest city in the state,but that aint saying much.
    later
    jD

8. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

I've got more guns than they do :)

9. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

& possible big boomers too i'd bet

10. squizzle

squizzle Active member

I just signed up for BBV's online thing, and so far I've gotten 3 movies from them. Well, actually only 2. One was missing and didn't come the next day either, and supposedly they all shipped the same day. I think it might have been lost. If the postman took it, why wouldn't he take the other 2 also, ya know?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2005
  11. Oopsla

Oopsla Guest

I've played "Postal" So I am ready for anything they can dish out. AK-47 to flame throwers... bring it on. I can see those blue pin stripes and knobby knees from a mile away.

Per the comment, "If the postman took it, why wouldn't he take the other 2 also, ya know?". Once they are dropped in the box they are spread throught the mail so "being together" only happens at your door. I know it isn't the delivery man, my guess it is a mail handler. You can only stuff so many down your shirt. I'm sure the attitude is,"Hmmm? Maybe I'll watch a movie tonight?". I'ts not like they are shipped back in plain manilla envelopes.

12. squizzle

squizzle Active member

I finally got my missing movie today. The envelope had been opened. It came from the same distribution center as the other 2, but came 2 days late. Maybe the mailman burned it.

13. ddp

more likely watched it for free at your expense

14. pulsar

pulsar Active member

I work for Royal Mail. The original Royal Mail was a stagecoach that went from London to Bristol, in the 1830s I think. The driver had a guard with him. He carried a rather large gun. He was allowed to shoot ANYONE who attempted to interfere with the mail, (property of the Crown, i.e the Queen!) I wish that were the case now! I think that may be were the phrase "ride shotgun' came from.

I drive the vans & wagons to collect the mail, the police can stop us, but they are not allowed to look in the back of the van or truck! In fact, they are not even allowed to ask us to leave the vehicle! They have to get a Royal Mail manager & drive to the nearest police station or RM depot before they can look in any of the mail sacks.

We do get items that go missing, it is very sad but I fear that you will always get people in any society who will take advantage & steal at every opportunity. If I were to steal mail & were caught, I would probably go to jail, it is that serious. We had a guy in our depot who stole birthday cards to feed his coke habit. He went to jail for a few months. The entire office despise this person, as he sullied the depots' reputation.
    If I had the opportunity & chance, I would run over or shoot any jackass who tried to steal from my van or truck!

15. ddp

isn't it called self defense!!

16. Oopsla

Oopsla Guest

It's a Federal offense if your caught. Messin' with the mail in any way. My friend has a federal record now cause he blew up a mail box (when we were mere todlings). I worked at a trucking company during the summers. They had signs all over the place saying it was a federal offense to mess with the mail. Mostly we saw how far we could throw the packages and make them land neatly in the trailer. Maybe that's why that company went under? Anyway mail/shipping places are huge. If someone wants something, they got it. I just wish Netflix would disguise there packages like those AOL disks I unfailingly get.

17. squizzle

squizzle Active member

I agree, same with BBV's packaging.

Pulsar, I wish you were my mailman.

18. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Anyone out there who thinks they can block my truck, and think that I would stop, are in dreamland, they better hope that their car has SERIOUS bodywork to withstand my 7.5 tonner heading towards them at high speed. I would not hesitate to run over anyone. And I really mean it. I would ram the f*****s off a cliff before I let them get my mail.

19. pulsar

pulsar Active member

And I would take great pleasure in doing so. Make no mistake. Any excuse to ram a car in a Royal Mail truck!

20. ddp

& all you'll end up with is a bit of scratched paint work & they'll end up with a demolished car