1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with Virtual Dub Please help!!

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by tarboro, Mar 5, 2005.

1. tarboro

tarboro Member

I am trying to join 2 avi files, but I can't even get virtualdub to open the first file. It keeps giving me this error "Couldn't locate decompressor for format 'Div3' (Microsoft High-Speed MPEG-4 V# [hack: Divx Low-Motion]) VirtualDub requires a Video for Windows(VFW) compatible codec to decompress video. DirectShowcodecs, such as those used by Windows Media Player are not suitable.

I downloaded and installed FFDshow, but it doesn't help. Thanks in advance.

2. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

You need to enable DivX3 decoding in ffdshow's VFW decoder config. You could also use VirtualDubMod which should allow you to join the files even without a decoder.

Does ffdshow even show up in VDub's codec list? Because some versions there was a problem with the nsi script and it wasn't correctly installed.

3. tarboro

tarboro Member

No FFDShow os not showing up. How do I correct this? Thanks

4. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Nope. I can only suggest you to try some variants, of VirtualDub...
    get them at http://www.digital-digest.com/dvd/downloads/showsoftware_virtualdub_346.html
    For instance, VDub14c-asf is the only version able to decompress (the lousy) asf files....
    Just FYI, VirtualDubMod is the most useful version for audio concerns (instead of calling 'wav' all audio streams, indicates the type of audio: MP2, AC3...), VirtualDub-MPEG2 has mpeg2 support...

5. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Two ways to sort ffdshow.
    1) Install a newer version
    if you have sse:
    http://ffdshow.sourceforge.net/tikiwiki/tiki-index.php?page=Getting+ffdshow
    if not:
    http://www.aziendeassociate.it/cd.asp?dir=/ffdshow
    I haven't compiled ffdshow in awhile though since Milan started with the daily builds, but I did update ffdshow's libavcodec to handle x264's new bframe pyramid mode. Seems to work ok.

2) Change the vidc.ffds entry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32 from long path to short path. So progra~1 instead of program files.

6. fultro

fultro Member

celtic_d
    thank-you so much for straightening out the problem I was having getting AVIs in VDub to see the VFW codecs for playback - the registry change was what was needed - now VDub plays the files and ffdshow shows up in VDub's compressors page - a hellish two days wasted on this one - but happily resolved -
    I am definitely new to ffdshow - could you please tell me some basic stuff regarding the codec setup in both the Config & VFW pages.
    ---Does disabling libavcodec for individual codecs mean that when a file calls for that codec it will use another codec that was available before ffdshow was installed?
    ---Do changes to these same settings affect all programs that call for that codec? .i.e. Vegas and various other media players - how do you know if an app is using the ffdshow codec ?
    ---Under what circumstances could changing the "merit" value in the Configuration Window be useful?
    ---When going through ffdshow to get to an individual codec for encoding in VDub, is ffdhow literally taking control of that codec and providing more options for encoding - and can I assume that the idea is that this offers at least as good a quality rendering as the original codec?
    I know it may be a lot to ask here - so if you know where I can get info on the basics like this I'd really appreciate if you could point me in the right direction.
    The Source Forge & ffdshow docs are more for developers it seems -- alas, I am a simple user
    Many thanks Fultro

7. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Setting something to disabled means that ffdshow will no longer handle it. So in the case of directshow the filter with the highest merit capable of connecting to the graph will be used, which yes should be whatever handled it before ffdshow came along. VfW works a little different, but once again yes it should just use whatever was previously used.

Any changes to the VfW config will effect all apps that use VfW and any changes to the directshow config will effect all apps that use dshow. For dshow by default you would get a tray icon if ffdshow is being used or you could enable something obvious like the OSD.

If another filter had a higher merit but you wanted ffdshow to be used instead. Like I said with dshow whatever filter has the highest merit and is capable of connecting is used.

The only example I can really think of is XviD. Also I guess WMV9. The other codecs all use libavcodec or other dll's installed by ffdshow. In each case ffdshow is just a front end so yes ffdshow's theora output should be the same as say ffmpeg2theora if they are both using the same lib.

8. fultro

fultro Member

So I went through another few hours today of trying to make apps work properly, and believe me I am happy to know more about how my system works as a result of a very tiresome trial & error process, but I think that it is important that you developers out there take the time to also develop instructions for the use of these very valuable but possibly deadly tools. People like me who have a fair knowledge of systems and troubleshooting, and who have a need to tweak their systems for specific applications, but who are not interested in spending all their time working and reworking their systems need to know that playing with these codecs is risky business that would be greatly aided with a good set of instructions - or at least an overview of the principles involved... we are not all programmers , hackers , or endless tweakers but some of us are intelligent enough to deal with something beyond the out of the box scenario of the PC. So please -- some info with these tools - and sincerely - a thank-you for taking the time to develop them - your work is much needed --- fultro

9. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Milan is the developer of ffdshow, although it uses mainly source from ffmpeg (hence the name).