1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox flashing red power LED

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by lgflynn, Mar 7, 2005.

1. lgflynn

lgflynn Guest

My XBox turns on there's no video output, no sound and a flashing red power LED. I have tried RE-flashing the EEproms but still no joy. Can anyone help?

2. AcidC0RE

AcidC0RE Member

Yeah I get the same thing. After it has been off for a day or two I'll go to play a game and be playing for about 10 or 15 minutes then lose all picture and sound and the eject button flashes nothing but red. Anybody have any ideas as to what could be the problem?

3. spyman

spyman Regular member

make sure its flashed from the same version type xbox.

i think 1.0-1.5 can all use the same type, and 1.6 has its own type. so there are two different kinds in total.

4. AcidC0RE

AcidC0RE Member

Yeah, I have a 1.6 box and my bios is Evox M8 with LBA48 Patch.

5. spyman

spyman Regular member

acid, your scenario is a bit different... as you at least can boot for 10-15 minutes, where the original poster has the classic eeprom scenario, nothing loading up at all.

Anyways

who installed it, yourself??
    When you load into the retail bios what happens...
    for 1.6 bios should be M8_16Plus

6. AcidC0RE

AcidC0RE Member

I'm curious about something though...
    When loading into Evox Dashboard there are some system info displayed like size on drives, time, temp, etc. When it first comes up my CPU temp is somewhere around 39.?F and then right before it fraggs on me the the CPU temp was around 149.?F. Is this temp too hot for the CPU? If it is then it could explain why it's doing this. It's probably going into shutdown mode to protect the CPU from overheating.

7. lgflynn

lgflynn Guest

Hi spyman, is there any tools for flashing the EEPROM via DVD. I have tried using a MOD chip but no joy and I used the EEprom file for a Ver1 on a Ver1.5. Maybe you might have a cheat sheet for me to use as I might not be doing it correct with the mod chip.

8. spyman

spyman Regular member

its been a long time since I had to flash the eeprom...
    I had to use a file called addEeprom, and a hacked linux version.

Then boot up command prompt, and there was a command to type in that let addeeprom patch the liunx bios with the eeprom.

burned that disc, loaded it up as a bios, and voila, eeprom succesfully flashed... hopefully this info will get you better started.

Acid, check to see that your fan in the back is working.

9. elusiv1

elusiv1 Regular member

Acid, you have an overheating issue....Is your fan working at all??? The xbox should shut down after a solid red light.. 149.F is a bit hot, you can do a simple 12V fan mod the drop your cpu and system temps. Also, you could cut a medium sized hole on your hd tray and the fan will blow air directly to the HD.. Or just do the 80mm fan upgrade. If overheating were the case, how unusual for a 1.6?? Well, you never can tell nowadays...good luck

Last edited: Mar 15, 2005
  10. lgflynn

lgflynn Guest

My problem is that I have no graphic, so I cant see the screen to type anything. I have two Xboxs, the one with the FLASHING LED belongs to a friend, but I said I'd have a look at it for him. So I got the program off the web to flash the EEproms and it worked on my own XBOX but it did not work on the broken Xbox. Now that got me thinking. I took out the current solderless Xecuter chip and installed Chameleon chip on the same solderless platform and on boot up the Xbox FRAG's ie stops and restarts. and then flashes red and green, (I know what your thinking bad flash or chip not seated correctly) but no I then put the orginal chip back in and it loads up and the LED flashes RED...... So on the Xecuter chip it flashs RED LED and with the Chameleon chip it frags and flashes green and red. Now is that crazy or what?

11. spyman

spyman Regular member

what does it do with no chip ?, what version is the xbox, and what chip was it?
    what bios is on the chip, and what was on the one that flashed colours ?

12. lgflynn

lgflynn Guest

Hi... with no chip it flashes RED. Its a VER1 XBOX and the bois is the ADDEEPROM bois, but I can change this to what ever you want.

13. spyman

spyman Regular member

Last edited: Mar 21, 2005
  14. elusiv1

elusiv1 Regular member

Sorry for the last post Acid........didn't realize that the system temps on the 1.6 and 1.6b don't function properly in Evox. I modded a friends 1.6 and found it odd that the system temps reached 149F and on a reboot they went back down to 39F...weird stuff at the time because I didn't know what was going on. I just did a 12v fan mod and increased the fan speed from 20% to 60% with Evtool just incase there was a heat issue.

15. AcidC0RE

AcidC0RE Member

ELUSIV 1, you're right about weird temp readings within EvoX using a 1.6 box. My problem was fan related though. Actually, the red wire on my fan was accidently cut. I just resoldered it back so I didn't have to buy another and my problems went away. It must be a heat protection fault to protect the CPU considering it blows directly on it. I did find out though that these CPU's are safe up to around 170 to 175 degrees and then shuts the CPU off so it doesn't fry, just like CPU's and mobo's in a computer.

The other problem I was having was certain games froze at the 'Press Here To Start' screen, even some retail bought games. After about two weeks of searching I realized that I needed to Clear my CASHE files on C, E & F drives and now everything works.

Anyways thanks for the heads up on asking me to check my fan. Sometimes the simplest things can elude us if we look to hard.

16. fmonkey

fmonkey Member

Hi,

i have the same problem as lgflynn, i turn on my xbox and the power LED is green for a bout half a second and then goes to a flashing red LED. I have read that this is due to a broken eeprom. I dont get any video display so i cant get into my evox dashboard or anything. I have a DuoX2 mod chip (the blue one with two banks). What i need to know is how do i get my Xbox working again? i have read loads of threads, but there are none that actually give a step by step guide on how to fix this. I have tried the advice given on http://arisme.free.fr/Xbox/Reflash/ but i dont actaully understand what it is saying! i have patched the addeeprom files but dont understand what to do next, how do i program my mod with the patched file?? i cant actually do anything on my xbox as it wont boot up!

Please please please can someone give me some advice!!

17. retic

retic Member

I just got my mod chip installed and havent flashed the bios yet but when i try to turn the mod chip off and play a normal game it says my xbox needs service.

18. retic

retic Member

can you tell me what to do?

19. COTBU

COTBU Member

retic
    which chip do you have?
    sound like a disconnected hard drive or dvd drive did you unlock your drive? Does the eject/activity light flash quick amber/yellow when you boot /w your chip?

recheck your connection not a serious problem maybe?

20. retic

retic Member

xecuter 3 ce and the it does flash yellow when i boot it.