1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I turn my lcd laptop monitor into a desktop monitor?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Brian0079, Aug 3, 2004.

1. hackurliv

hackurliv Member

This is indeed the best discussion on the net regarding turn my lcd laptop monitor into a desktop monitor. I have been interested in doing this for a long while. Now I think I am closer to it than ever. I had two very old P4 based Alienware gaming laptops, which has LG Philips LCD LP150U1-A2 with 1600x1200 resolution, now how often do you get such high resolution screens for nothing.

I contacted the seller regarding this and he said that the controller should work, though he didn't have the exact hardware available to guarantee this. But I think I am going to take the plunge. Its just $37 after all.

2. hackurliv

hackurliv Member

I got the LCD controller and have my LCD working as desktop monitor. Checkout my blog here.

3. yesyesuk

yesyesuk Member

Nice. That's what we need here: some success stories... ;-))

But now I'm no longer the only one in the world who got this working .. :-/

4. hebelida

hebelida Guest

SPAM removed

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2010
  5. captomner

captomner Member

Hah- sorry that you lost your exclusivity title!

I also got mine working by buying the controller board off of Ebay. It worked right away, and I'm trying to figure out what I can do with it. I'm thinking I might make a wooden frame with a VESA mounting pattern on the back so I can use it as a regular desktop monitor. I'll post some pictures when I have a chance.

6. hackurliv

hackurliv Member

@yesyesuk Don't worry you would always be considered among the pioneers :)

Currently I have the LCD stuck to a cardboard box with the controller hidden inside the box itself, it is fairly usable in the Geek world... I have similar plans as @captomner to put it inside a nice wooden or a better cardboard frame to make it acceptable in real world. :D

Hopefully it would serve my Netbook as an External monitor...

7. yesyesuk

yesyesuk Member

Thanks guys, you just made my day... ;-))
    Good to know I'll go down in history... somewhere... :D

8. Belaward

Belaward Guest

SPAM removed

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2010
  9. Manveru

Manveru Member

I still don't have the extra money to actually buy the controllers, but for those of you who are planning on doing so, try here and here for some less expensive controllers.

The same seller has DVI and TV versions if you need those.

10. captomner

captomner Member

I bought the VGA/DVI version of the board from this seller. I got it in about two weeks, despite the fact that it shipped from Hong Kong. They were very helpful over email and the controller worked perfectly, so if anyone's on the fence, I recommend going for it.

11. mavros18

mavros18 Member

12. hackurliv

hackurliv Member

Don't go for this expensive board, in this price you can possibly get two of them. Look at this ebay seller. Just email him with the LCD model and he would get back to you regarding your LCD's compatibility with this board.

13. carlpress

carlpress Member

please help us to know the brand and model of the solution that you buy.

14. yesyesuk

yesyesuk Member

If you read the thread, there are several ebay links to the controllers you need. Most of the auctions will have expired by now but just check out the sellers and their items.

You will need to contact the sellers and ask if your particular display panel is supported by the controllers.

15. bmagarwal

bmagarwal Member

16. n0de

n0de Member

Hi,

i want to use my laptop monitor, as desktop monitor. haven't read everything in this forum, but as i understand if i have LVDS connection on my desktop motherboard, then i should not have any problems ? Like converters and other crap.. ? Because the video signal and the power for the monitor, both are transmited through the LVDS connection, right ?

p.s. sorry for my english, not my mother tongue..

17. Flazarbeta

Flazarbeta Member

Hello,

I want to mount an LCD panel in my window(just for the hell of it), is this a reasonable way to do it, or would it be cheaper just to buy an old monitor that is already compatible with VGA and use that?

Thanks

18. Soh5757

Soh5757 Member

You guys are lucky lol. I have a Imac from 2006 that dies so I'm going to use the screen for a TV, for my xbox or something. Anywho, all you guys have VGA and DVI ports on yours, plus a powersuppy. I have none of that. The power came from the logicboard on the mac, which came from the power supply, and because it was basically just a big laptop, it has one connection for video date going into the board and no ports in. I have the pinout of the screen but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to add the ports on it. Sound won't be hard. It's just figuring out how to add the ports (being VGA, DVI, and the component that the xbox uses. And if I could Hdmi). If anyone can help me on this, I can give you a link to all the information for the pinout on the screen and power requirements, which I can do the power, I just need to make it something for it.

19. yesyesuk

yesyesuk Member

I think you misunderstood this. The ports are on the separate controller board that we buy on ebay or somewhere else. The power supply and inverter board (power for the lamp) also come with the controller board. From the old laptop we only use the actual TFT panel, that's it. It should be the same for a panel from an iMac and PC laptop.

The controller board is basically the same as the electronics in a desktop flat screen monitor. It converts from VGA, DVI and so on to the LVDS interface typically used by TFT panels these days.

I hope that clarifies it...

On a totally unrelated note...
    I found another use for old TFT panels: ;-)
    http://yesyes.info/diy/lightbox/

20. enonka

enonka Member

I have read this in its entirety, and I think my head just exploded!!!! Here is my question. I got the screen from a Dell latitude c810. Research is showing that this has an sxga montior. I may have overlooked it, but I don't remember reading anything about those.