1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

whats the difference in dvds by 4x or 8x

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by neonboy, Mar 15, 2005.

1. neonboy

neonboy Member

i was wondering because i wanted to buy some but then i noticed that the 8x was cheaper reason of that is because y? which 1 is faster or better. thnx

2. Nascar40

Nascar40 Member

I like to burn at x4 but will take x8 if its cheaper.
    What typ of media are you using?

3. rjr20001

rjr20001 Member

burn at 4x even if you take the 8x as this will give you much fewer errors,like freezing and skipping,oh and dont buy cheap media cos you will get probs with 2,use ty,vertibran,or ritek(ritek are the cheapest of the 3-a decent budget choice)

4. trust121

trust121 Member

4x and 8x are just the speed that the disk is capable of burning at. It also, depends how fast your dvd writer burns. For example, if you have a 4x writer and use 8x media the speed of the burn will go at 4x because the writer limits you to just 4x even though theres an 8x disk in the drive. 8x would definitly be faster but you need a dvd writer that will burn 8x or faster. As far as which is a better disk, I persoanlly like to burn my dvds at 4x. You can always get the 8x disks if their cheaper and lower your write speed if you wanted too. Hope this helps.. -trust

5. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

If your burner is capable of burning at 8x or higher, then the 8x discs will allow you to burn at that speed. Generally you can only burn at 4x speed with 4x media. 8x media can differ in price depending on the brand and on sales. 8x media isn't always cheper. Sometimes you'll find it's more expensive than 4x media and other times it's the same price. Like I said, it just depends on the circumstance.

Though you may have the capability of burning at higher speeds, the majority of the threads you read on this site show that you are likely to get more errors the faster you burn. I myself burn anywhere from 2x to 16x speed depending on the media. I on average have been burning at 8x. I haven't encountered a lot of errors, but when I do it is usually at speeds above 12x.

Just because you saw 8x media that was less expensive than than 4x doesn't mean you should buy it. You should read the posts in the media forum to check what media is quality and what is not(crap). This will save you money in the long run.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2005
  6. neonboy

neonboy Member

have any of you guys bought non name brand dvds to burn with??? any good or bad things about them cuz i was lookin on ebay for like 200 blank dvds for like 60 something bucks and all..or should i go w/ name brand only even tho they r twice as much

7. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

neonboy,
    Just read a little on the forums and you will see all the problems people have with no name brand disk's. Your really taking a big gamble with your $60 with no name media. You might just as well go buy 60$ worth of lotttery tickets :) Stick with the good stuff TY, FujiFilm, Maxell all are good media :)

8. trust121

trust121 Member

don't buy the cheap dvds.. cheap dvds = poor quality and errors! just do a search on this site and see which media is good.. i use tdk disks and got em' on sale at circuit city, a pack of 25 @8x for like 7 bucks. Just wait for the sales and you get good quality dvds at a good price.. look at ads in the paper or search online.. dont waste your money on poor quality media just because its cheap.. remember that old saying.. "you get what you pay for!" -trust

9. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Just make sure when you get those TDK's that they werent made Taiwan because then your going to end up with the dreaded CMC Mag's.. Other than that the TDK is also a good brand to look for :)

10. Nascar40

Nascar40 Member

Last edited: Mar 15, 2005
  11. bandog

bandog Guest

hi, I'm pretty much a newbie....I always have an infinite amount of questions to ask here.Finally I think I have to add my 2 cents..I started burning with maxells....many coasters!!!!....changed to memorex..worse yet...went to fuji...a little better..switched to sony.....not one disc has been miscopied...100 out of 100. And they arent as exspensive as fuji...give them a try...I'm sure you'll agree

12. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

bandog, have you ever updated your firmware?

13. sic(ness)

sic(ness) Member

I bought a 50 pack of GQ dvd-r's for $25 and i was wondering if those were good brand of dvds?

14. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

Return those GQ(Generic Quality) to Fry's or wherever you got them and go to bestbuy and buy the 50 pk of fujis for $19.99. Make sure they say made in japan. You not only save a little over $5, you save yourself a headache.

15. jd2523

jd2523 Member