1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Outlook Express Receiving Doubles

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by nownthen, Mar 17, 2005.

1. nownthen

nownthen Regular member

I don't know what I did wrong with the setup but everytime I receive e-mail I get double.

I have Outlook checking both my ISP e-mail address and my hotmail address. The ISP works fine (no doubles) but the hotmail shows up with double of each message.

Any suggestions on what I should do or a link on information on how to solve my problem.

Thanks for any help!!!

2. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

I am not a huge expert in Outlook, because I use Thunderbird, but I think I know what is going on.

When you receive your email, I think it is getting duplicated and you are getting like a "carbon copy" also. That is why you are getting the double email.

I would suggest going through all your options in Outlook to see if anything is up and double checking you options through HOTMAIL.

3. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

Sorry had to edit. Gave you directions for express. Ok Outlook. This behavior can occur if your Outlook profile contains two Internet accounts that both point to the same POP3 server.

To resolve this issue try this: Turn off e-mail reception for one of the POP3 accounts:
    1. In Outlook, on the Tools menu, point to Send/Receive Settings, and then click Define Send/Receive Groups.
    2. Double-click the group that contains the two POP3 accounts, and under Accounts, click one of the POP3 accounts.
    3. Click to clear the Receive mail items check box.

As said by Microsoft.( http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;284404 )

Im having a bad posting day. You forum title says express but your post says Outlook. That is why I am putting the express directions back in:

This behavior can occur if the Pop3uidl.dbx file is damaged

RESOLUTION
    To resolve this behavior, rename the Pop3uidl.dbx file, and then restart Outlook Express. Follow these steps:
    1. Click Exit on the File menu to quit Outlook Express.
    2. Click Start, point to Search, and then click For Files or Folders.
    3. In the Search for files or folders named box, type Pop3uidl.dbx, and then click Search Now.
    4. Under Search Results, right-click the Pop3uidl.dbx file, and then click Rename.
    5. Type Pop3uidl.old, and then press ENTER.
    6. To start Outlook Express, click Start, point to Programs, and then click Outlook Express.

As said by Microsoft ( http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314578)

I know it refers to Outlook exxpress 5 but I'm sure it will also work with 6. Oh yeah make sure your search is set to look in hiden files and folders or it will not find this file.

Good luck
    -Del

Last edited: Mar 18, 2005
  4. nownthen

nownthen Regular member

First of all the program is called Outlook Express 6. I shortened it in the post not thinking there would be any problems.

I only have one POP3 server. Hotmail is a http server

5. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

The oulook solution I posted will not work for outlook express. That file mentioned for outlook express is also a part of ver 6. The search must be set to look in hidden and system files or it will not find it. I am not talking about going to folder options to veiw hidden files. This is not the default setup for search. It is in your identity folder somewhere.

c:\documents and settings\(user name)\local settings\application data\identities\(Identity number)\microsoft\outlook express. This is where you will find the file. Many times a solution to an older version still works for the new ones.

-Del

6. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

nownthen

If you send yourself an email, will you get two back?

Do you have any other email accounts you could setup from a different ISP?

Outlook 5 or 6 will work the same, not much difference, only big difference is between Outlook and Outlook Express. Try what I mentioned an get back here with the results.

7. nownthen

nownthen Regular member

Mr_Del

I tried your renaming file solution and that worked. I thought is was just for the POP3 serve problems that is why I didn't try it in the first place.

Thanks for everyones help!!!

8. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

Congrats! Glad I could help you. Try not to break it again.

-Del

9. gregg12

gregg12 Member

I ran the search, and got 4 .dbx files with that name (they were different "identities"). Three of the four files were 10 Kb in size, one was 120Kb. We have 4 accounts on the OE, maybe that's why. I changed 3 of them, but was not allowed to change the 4th, the large one. The pop up window told me that the file was in use by another program, but no other programs were open, and I checked all users.

I had to register to post this, and the welcome message came...double!

Any ideas? I would appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Gregg

10. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

Gregg12 that is the way Outlook express works. You can do one of two things.

1) Identify the name of the Identity folder that goes to your troubled login.
    2) Rename all of them and not worry about it. They will recreate when you go into the identities. ( this one is easier).

If you insist on 1 I will tell you where to look to figure that out.

-Del

11. nownthen

nownthen Regular member

Its broken again. I'm getting doubles again.

12. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

I will look tonight to see what I can find. May take a while though. I promise I wont charge you by the hour.

-Del

13. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

Well that's good...cause you know we are like in a recession and all.

LOL! ;)

14. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

Don't forget the gas prices.

-Del

15. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

Oh Lord, don't get me started on those...glad you don't make house calls!!!

You would make a killing by the way if you really did that!

16. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

Been out saving the world. Thats why its been awhile for me to get back to you.

I did find something. You mentioned Hotmail so I will give you this link. http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=373772 . The solutions are about the same but seems it can also be a hotmail dbx file that is messed up.

-Del

17. nownthen

nownthen Regular member

Thanks. That seems to have worked.

18. nownthen

nownthen Regular member

The hotmail doubles was actually caused because of the settings I had for Outlook Express. The hotmail inbox was set to both synchronize and check for new e-mails.

19. sfinks

sfinks Member

20. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

he fixed it Sfinks.

-Del