1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD burner is losing speed...

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Dislexik, Mar 20, 2005.

1. Dislexik

Dislexik Member

Hey, I've got an odd problem here...
    I have a Sony DVD RW DW-18A drive, and use DVD Decrypter, Shrink DVD, DVD XCopy, ALcohol and Nero depending on what task I'm using it for, and in the last couple of days my drive has started to lose reading and writing speed. It is an 8x drive, and until now read and wrote at that speed. Yesterday it dropped to 4x writing, and today it started reading AND writing at an excruciating 1.5x!!!

Anyone have any idea why it might be doing that? I've checked the speed settings on the software and set it at 4x and 8x but to no avail. Also, I'm using the same media as before. Is my drive screwed? Should I upgrade the firmware? (I'm leary of doing this because it would void the warranty).

Thanks!

2. mini_mod

mini_mod Member

There is a way to verify and change the speed of your burner. You have to go into the system and change settings though.

I don't know too much about it, but I think it is called DMA settings.....

Try searching the forums or the glossary

Last edited: Mar 23, 2005
  3. dvdripdvd

dvdripdvd Regular member

4. tmfloria

tmfloria Active member

5. Dislexik

Dislexik Member

sorry about not searching...it's my first time here and I DID search a bit but obviously not hard enough...thanks for the help!

6. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

1. Running Programs

Make sure you quit all running background programs, such as anti-virus software.

Windows 95 Users
    Use the Ctrl-Alt-Del function to quit all the programs using the Task Manager, EXCEPT for the Explorer, systray, and your recording software

Windows 98/ME Users
    Select [Start] -> [Run], then input "msconfig". Disable everything under the [Startup] tab, except "system tray'.

Windows 2000/XP Users
    Open the Task Manager, then select the program/s under the [Application] tab, then click [End Task].

2. Drive Connection

Other devices may be interfering with the CD-R/RW drive. Disconnect all other removable devices, then try recording again. If there is still a problem, try the following.

Optimal Hardware Configuration

All hard drives are placed on the Primary IDE, check that the drives are correctly set as master/slave. CD-ROM/CD-R/RW drives are placed on the Secondary IDE, set the recording drive as the "master". If you are using a USB or IEEE devices, disconnect them.

Update your chipset

Windows 95/98/ME Users
    Right click on [My Computer] and select [Properties] from the menu. Click on [Device Manager], then click to open [Hard Disk Controllers]. You will find: the Primary IDE Channel controller, the Secondary IDE Channel controller and a brand name controller, e.g. Intel, SIS, VIA, etc. The brand name controller is what needs to be updated. Please visit their website to obtain these updates.

Windows NT/2000/XP Users
    Right click on [My Computer] and select [Properties] from the menu. Click [Device Manager] on the [Hardware] tab, then click to open the [IDE ATA/ATAPI (hard disk) controllers] section. You will find: the Primary IDE Channel controller, Secondary IDE Channel controller, and a brand name controller, e.g. Intel, SIS, VIA, etc. The brand name controller is what needs to be updated. Please visit their website to obtain these updates.

Configure Windows
    Make sure that your operating system has been fully updated. Visit the Microsoft website to acquire these updates.

3. ASPI Manager

Check your ASPI layer configuration. Your recording program is likely to use the standard windows ASPI layer, which has been replaced by another ASPI layer of yet another recording program. Make sure you have the original windows ASPI layer in use and retry. If the problem persists, contact the drive maker.

4. DMA Settings

Setting DMA mode:

Windows 95/98/ME Users

Right click on [My Computer] and select [Properties] from the menu. Click on [Device Manager], then click on [CD-ROM]. This will expand to show the CD drives on your system. Right click on a drive and select [Properties] from the menu. Click on the [Settings] tab and check that the [DMA] option is enabled. Repeat this procedure for the remaining CD drives.

Win NT/2000/XP Users

Right click on [My Computer] and select [Properties] from the menu. Click [Device Manager] on the [Hardware] tab, then click to open the [IDE ATA/ATAPI (hard disk) controllers] section. You will find: the Primary IDE Channel controller, Secondary IDE Channel controller. Complete the following procedure:

Right click on the Primary IDE controller and select [Properties] from the menu.
    Select the [Advanced Settings] tab. Check that the [Transfer Mode] for both devices is set to [DMA if available].
    Repeat this for Secondary IDE controller.

Note: In some cases older CD-ROM drives will not support DMA mode. In that case please set both devices to PIO mode.

5. Disc

Recording errors often occur when the disc is dirty, or has fingerprints or scratches. If an error occurred during test simulation (before actual recording), clean the disc. If you are getting recording errors, try the following.
    Use a different blank, recordable disc.
    Use a different manufacturer's disc.
    Ensure the disc is clean before recording:
    Remove all fingerprints, dirt, and dust from the shiny side of your disc using a nonabrasive cloth with a mild, nonabrasive soap solution.
    Wipe the disc from the center to the edge of the disc.
    Dry the disc completely.

Error during file verification
    If an error occurred when the files were being verified, record the same files again using a different disc.

Read error when copying a disc
    When copying a disc, if an error occurred while reading data from the original disc, the original disc may be scratched or dirty.
    Try cleaning the disc.
    Remove all fingerprints, dirt, and dust from the shiny side of your disc using a nonabrasive cloth with a mild, nonabrasive soap solution.
    Wipe the disc from the center to the edge of the disc.
    Dry the disc completely.
    Try using a different source drive.
    To change the drive you use to read your disc, click the Change button when asked to insert a source disc into your drive tray.
    Select the drive you wish to use from the drop-down menu.
    Insert your disc into the new drive.
    Try using copying the disc using one drive as both the source and destination drive.
    When you use your recorder to both read and write to your disc, B's Recorder GOLD creates an image file of the entire disc to your hard drive and then copies that temporary file onto your blank disc. This can be helpful if the drive you are using to read your original disc is slow or unreliable.

If the problem persists, contact the drive maker.

6. Drive

If you have tried Actions 1 through 5 above, there may be a problem with your drive. Contact the drive maker with details of the error code. If the 5th and 6th digit of the error code is 80 through FF, then the error code is maker unique. The descriptions of these error codes differ depending on the maker.

7. mini_mod

mini_mod Member

Rotary showing us all up, I love it. Now that's an answer to a question.

8. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

That's why this forum is here Dislexik, to ask questions and participate in others problems, don't let dvdripdvd intimidate you.

9. mini_mod

mini_mod Member

Once you get the basics down you will start learning and experimenting on your own and possibly find solutions to problems even we can't solve yet.

Stay at it. Just remember to contribute usefull information to other threads as much as you can when you get it down.

10. dvdripdvd

dvdripdvd Regular member

I'm not intimidating, im just misunderstood and a little scared of the world and Bill Gates.

11. Dislexik

Dislexik Member

Ok, I checked the DMA settings and set them to "DMA when available" but beneath that it says Current Transfer Mode = PIO. I'm guessing this is where the problem lies but I can't get it to switch to DMA. My computer is fairly new (about 4 months old, DVD RW drive included) so I would think it supports DMA. I also tried uninstalling the drive to reset it to the defaults but it won't change over.

Oh, and I'm using WIN XP pro. :)

12. dvdripdvd

dvdripdvd Regular member

is your dvd drive external or internal?

13. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

ok, sometimes when you get errors your drive will back off speed in order to get the job done well it may have happened here?

ok go to DEVICE MANAGER and uninstall the drivers for the drive! and reboot computer - then check your DMA is back!

right click on channel / uninstall

[​IMG]

the drawn lines are sort of wrong ignore them as the 2 DMA there are for the first PRIMARY ide, but you get the picture, hehe get the picture thats funny!

if it gets it back a all fine and dandy! ;-])

if not?

then do this!

uninstall the ide controllers! and reboot!

LET US KNOW how it went!!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 21, 2005
  14. zeff116

zeff116 Guest

When you dowload appication accelerator should it take away your control over dma and pio setting or put them somewhere else. They are not under secondary ide channel anymore.

15. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

intel acceleration drivers cause problems, try taking them out and try again...

16. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

Hello, Rotary can I ask you a question? How do you make those screen shots of lets say the "device manager", the screen picture that is above on your reply, and get it to paste on this forum that information would be real helpful for me in the future. Thanks ---zen---> dvdripdvd no harm no foul No worries my friend.

17. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

get the screen up that you need apicture of, then press the button above the insert key on keyboard called PRINT SCREEN then open windows paint up and go to edit tab and click PASTE, you should see the picture of the whole desktop, but use crop feature to get just the bit you need so to keep the file small and for loading in webpages, just hightlight the bit you need and put the square round it and use CUT and paste in a new window in paint and save as GIF its smaller!

thats the easy bit!

now you need your ownwebsite or some free place to host the picture! and upload it i use cuteftp to up it!

then say the URL is like http://www.website.com/mypic.gif

you use the tags before and after the URL from this site...

[*img*]http://www.website.com/mypic.gif[*/*img*]

use the above link and tabs but take out the * part and close the gaps so no spaces i did it this way so it wouldnt load up as a picture and you can see it!

Last edited: Mar 22, 2005
  18. zeff116

zeff116 Guest

Downloading intel accelerator has fixed my slow dvd rom read problem and I am happy about that. However, should I be worried about other problems that the accelarator will cause. And if so, what would be the problems and where can I find the fixes for them?

19. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

rotary, I hate to sound stupid, "God I am so Stupid". But I got up the screen I want to use I chose my system properties, now where is the windows paint up? I f you would help it would greatly be appreciated thanks ---zen--> Also should we do this somewhere else I hate to interupt the others thread.

20. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

no probs...

go to start menu / programs / accessories / PAINT

then go to edit tab and the drop down box click paste...