1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need help

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by BigClay, Apr 2, 2005.

1. BigClay

BigClay Guest

I want to put together a 3 disc burning tower, i need help. i want to be able to burn 3 disc at once ? can some one help me out.

2. haimback

haimback Regular member

Ok need a little bit of info, whats your budget? do you have a machine at the moment?-if so what are your specs?

3. BigClay

BigClay Guest

my budget is basically how ever much i need to spend. help me out tell me what to get and how to run the burners together. i have clone and dvd x copy programs

4. haimback

haimback Regular member

ok iv had a think about this, your budget is however much you need to spend?Go out and buy the best processor you can aford - burning 2 (or 3?) dvd's at the same time is going to need alot of CPU power. I'd imagine that you will need to burn the disks at x4 speed.To use more than one drive at a time you would have to open your burning software for each drive i.e. open 2 Nero sessions for 2 drives. Another point to remember is the actual amount of data thats going to be getting transfered at once...so you would need burners on seperate ide cabbles or external burners. I really dont know if it would be possible to burn on three drives at same time...maybe one of the other guys could answer that but burning 2 at a time will work.

5. Liez4Love

Liez4Love Regular member

I dont understand why you would want to burn three disc's at a time,, what are you planning to do by doing this?

6. pulsar

pulsar Active member

My specs, below, seem to do an average job of burning 3 at a time. I use nero or Alcohol as the burn engine.
    You really need to have the same burners & firmware to minimise on errors. I keep the burn to 4x.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2005
  7. haimback

haimback Regular member

@ pulsur
    Hey,I'v never ran three burners together so was just wondering how close my post was to being correct...i figured burn at 4x to minimise errors but what about the others areas i mentioned
    how you set up those drives?
    so does using 3 drives at once max your Barton?

I think you have given BigClay a good idea of what he/she need's so this is just for my curiosity.

8. pulsar

pulsar Active member

My Barton makes it very easy, along with 1gig PC3200 mem, All it has to do is split the signal 3 ways. Quite easy really, it does not have to work too hard to do it. It's only zeros & ones after all!
    I have my plextor & one burner on 1 IDE cable, hooked up to an IDE card. The other 2 hook up on the same IDE, then to the MOBO. My Raptor is RAID, of course! The other 2 HDs are on the same IDE, both set as master, to the MOBO.
    The Barton works at about 20% with Alcohol at full tilt. Don't forget that is why we have DMA!! My 2600 Athlon, my previous CPU (now in my back up PC), did an equally good job.

9. haimback

haimback Regular member

cheer for that, learn something new everyday

you should put that in your sig :)

10. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Just to be clear, you select multiple burners on either Alcohol or nero, no need to open separate sessions, that would cause too many conflicts.
    I read here that someone DID open Alcohol twice to burn at the same time. He said it works (of which I would be reluctant to challenge them on their results!), but I really think that you are risking burn & buffer errors. It is a lot easier for your PC to run one prog & utilise the Multiple burner option.

We aim to please!

Kind regards,
    Pulsar

11. gizmobob

gizmobob Member

12. pulsar

pulsar Active member

You would pay 900 dollars for something that your PC could do? Gees, you must have more money than sense. What burners do they use, can you override the "on the fly" facility?
    You could build a PC for that with 3 109s & a Plextor ROM, for less. And have something that can do lots of other things too!
    7 mins burning is a bit ambitious. If you burn @ 8x you could do it. Most here prefer 4x for far superior results.

Pulsar

13. gizmobob

gizmobob Member

$900 may be alot to you, but to some it is affordable... the poster didn't stress any budget and basically sounded as if he wanted the most simple application available... A standalone DVD Burner is pretty simple IMHO. Also keep in mind the posters question...

Is that what I replied with? A 3 Disc Burning Tower, albeit a Standalone. No Cards, SCSI, RAID, Cabling, etc! Just plug it in and copy! I've spent more on less! My first CDR was $650, 2X!

14. pulsar

pulsar Active member

At Afterdawn we always try to help people as best we can & for people to get the best value for money. Of course to some budget is not an issue, we just want people to get the best for the money they pay.
    If you build a PC, you have something that will do many other things aswell as be able to burn efficiently. If someone can afford it, fine, it is just that other people read the threads & may be mistaken that a standalone tower would be the best for the job. That IMHO is NOT the best way of doing it. Certainly you answered the question, but you did not give many clues as to the many other options available.
    In answering the question, I gave someone else (haimback) info of how to do it. Did you? See what I mean about others reading the thread?

Pulsar

Last edited: Apr 8, 2005
  15. gizmobob

gizmobob Member

I didn't need to reply to anyone else's issue because that was not the question at hand, and you had already touched on it. I too know alot about Computers and I know how to build full blown RAID servers with all the bells and whistles. I saw that alternative you gave, so I only replied with what you did not! That is all... I mearly gave the man another answer to his fix, albeit not the cheapest, since he stated was not the issue, but an alternative to your response. I didn't challenge your response, as you have mine, based purely on a monetary factor. I did not raise the issue of problems that arise from configuring multi-burning drives and DMA/ASPI issues that your reply may result in. I never challenged your reply at all... I just responded with an alternative, that's all. I never implied it was the cheapest, but for many it is the Best! If you felt that my reply was improper for some reason, please state the reason. Since you stated that...
    Why didn't you give the option that I stated. Since you didn't, I did. No harm no foul. I didn't say anything about your response, but you didn't have a problem criticizing mine. If it was the wrong response, please reiterate why. If I am out of line, please accept my apologies, I don't want to step on anyone toes. Just here to help.

Bob

16. pulsar

pulsar Active member

I did not give your option, because you did!! Sorry to have caused any offence, we just try to please & give lots of options. I am in no way a computer expert, my knowledge compared to some is, quite frankly, embarassing! I never doubted your skills, Quote;

" Also keep in mind the posters question... "

I did, but I gave alternatives too, we can tend to stray off the question at Afterdawn, just read some of the threads & posts! Ask any of the mods or addicts or seniors here I am probably the WORST at leaving the topic & venturing into the realms of fantasy & extreme ridiculousness (is that a word?) As long as you sort of answer the question you will never go far wrong.
    Some may have viewed the above quote as rather "please don't answer any question, or give advice that may not be relevant to the topic in hand". Many would not regard that as a jolly good idea! As we do like to waffle a tad without fear of reprimand!!!!!!! LOL

Anyways, I think we have helped the person who made the original post, just along as we get there in the end & have a good time then the world will be a happy place! You didn't step on my toes, we always love it when new people join our forum. The more the merrier as far as I am concerned.
    Just 'cos I'm a senior does not make me an Oracle! I have to remind myself of that at times, as I can get a bit carried away! But we do like to have lots of fun & tech & learn as we go on or way.
    Please accept my humble apologies for any offence caused & I hope to see you around answering lots of questions. Hopefully in the most convoluted way possible! The quicker the better. Then you will soon feel part of this very happy family! An extremely warped sense of humour is essential at Afterdawn.

Kind regards, toes intact,

Pulsar

17. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

& pulsar has a warped sense of humour known far & wide!!!!

18. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Fame at last! It took a while, but is well deserved!! LOL