1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to Speed up Firefox page loading

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by geestar20, Apr 3, 2005.

1. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

Here's something for broadband people that will really speed Firefox up:

1.Type about:config into the address bar and hit return. Scroll down and look for the following entries:

network.http.pipelining
    network.http.proxy.pipelining
    network.http.pipelining.maxrequests

Normally the browser will make one request to a web page at a time. When you enable pipelining it will make several at once, which really speeds up page loading.

2. Alter the entries as follows:

Set network.http.pipelining to true

Set network.http.proxy.pipelining to true

Set network.http.pipelining.maxrequests to some number like 30. This means it will make 30 requests at once.

3. Lastly right-click anywhere and select New-> Integer. Name it nglayout.initialpaint.delay and set its value to 0 (zero). This value is the amount of time the browser waits before it acts on information it recieves.

If you're using a broadband connection you'll load pages MUCH faster now!

You have to close your browser after you make the changes. When you start it back up they will be in effect.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2005
  2. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

HOLY CRAP DUDE!!! Where'd you find this info at?

Great stuff!

;P

3. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

I had a revolation when I was H....GH [​IMG]

Hope everyone can benefit from this info. [​IMG]

4. tmfloria

tmfloria Active member

That is cool.. Not that my connection was slow but I see a difference.. WOW!

5. Rosco404

Rosco404 Guest

nice one geestar20 : )

6. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

You ARE DA MAN!!! Page comes up before I can even finish typing in the damn address!

;P

7. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

Thanks -venomX05- All I try to do is help.

8. vans12

vans12 Regular member

WOW! cool thanks

9. ~RoNin~

~RoNin~ Regular member

You can also get a prog called FireTune that will do a whole slew of tweaks to firefox based on your computer speed as well as your connec speed all with the click of a buttom... its really handy for inexperienced users who still wanna tweak firefox...

10. squizzle

squizzle Active member

geestar!

thanks bro, 100x better.

11. kanum

kanum Member

thanks a lot guy before i hated fire fox becuz it was sooo slow but now its kinda better

12. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

Hey kanum,

Firefox shouldn't at all be slow if you are either on broadband or dial up, truthfully. If anything, you might something bogging down your system, that you might unaware of. But Firefox is fast right from the start, and now it is even faster since this information came to light.

Hope your system is running efficiently, but you might have something going on behind the scenes.

;)

13. kanum

kanum Member

no im pretty dam close to the C.O. i have verizon dsl thats about 3Mb/748kbs or something like that but im sure its 3mb down but anyways my computers pretty dam fast but fire fox has always been slow for me i dont know why but it just has thats y IE has always been my fav browser mainly because i dont ever use tabs i just use the winkey + r then type in iexplore.exe press enter and im on the internet thren i alt-tab my way through it might now work for you but it works for me

14. ~RoNin~

~RoNin~ Regular member

True to what Venom said; firefox is very fast out of the box. Using the tweaks provided in this thread as well as the prog I mentioned "firetune" you can speed it up even more. The only thing I dont like about firefox is its vulnerablility to storing sensative data in memory as well as its extended load time... Other than that its a killer browser!

15. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

i have heard of some users complain that firefox is slow and IE is faster but that is a very small few and some hate the tabed browsing firefox offers but it's all in the way you use firefox.

I know there is a way to make firefox look axactley like IE's interface for those of you who loves the way IE looks and feels, so let me dig up the specs and give a tutorial so maybe you devoted IE followers will see the light.

BE BACK SOOOOONN.

16. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

17. kanum

kanum Member

no i like tabbed browsing but lately the auto complete is really getting in my way when i use firefox im trying to type in lets say beast it'll either reverse (tsaeb) or just make it wierd its reeeeaaaly annoying anyone wanna help i want to turn off auto complete all the way

18. youngjedy

youngjedy Member

hello and good day. Regarding the advice given to speed up firefox, is this just for Firefox or will it help any broadband connection get a little more gusto? I have broadband with SBC and wondered if there was a way to get a little more speed??? If there is, please let me know. HAve a great day........:)

19. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

Hey youngjedy,

This is only for your browser to make it faster!

It won't affect your internet connection, that is something that your isp has to handle.

All FF does is have a safe surfing experience without the quote en quote, "garbage" that is assoicated with IE. Not to insult anyone who uses IE. Now with geestars' and Ronin's suggestion of the Firetune, that will make it either faster or, well, don't know the latter, cause I never tried it.

So, in response to your question, you might want to contact your isp to see if you can get a bump in speed. I just recently got a massive boost in speed from my isp, and I am very happy with it.

But give them a call, wouldn't hurt!

BTW...welcome to AfterDawn Kanum, Ronin, and Youngjedy!

Hope to see ya around the forums!

;)

Last edited: Apr 8, 2005
  20. ~RoNin~

~RoNin~ Regular member

One of the best things about firefox is its customability. (sp) As Geestar has mentioned you can get many different themes for FF from the IE feel and look to one I like called Noia.

Here is a link to noia
    https://addons.update.mozilla.org/themes/moreinfo.php?application=firefox&id=72&vid=1292
    You can get many themes.

I guess this has nothing to do with how to speed up firefox.. \hijack

Has anyone tried Firetune?

http://www.totalidea.com/freestuff4.htm

Venom, Thanks for the welcome :)