1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PHILIPS DVD+-RW DVD8631

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by Joker_15, Apr 7, 2005.

1. Joker_15

Joker_15 Member

Im on a Dell 8400 with a PHILIPS DVD+-RW DVD8631 and when i try to burn a dvd it just stops and ejects the disk. Im useing Memorex DVD-R iv tried burning at 8x and 2x. Im not trying to copy a DVD im just trying to burn a Windows Media File to a DVD iv also tried burning just DATA to the disk and that doesnt work either. Iv contacted Dell but they dont know the solution. Please Help

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Try the 30 day Nero trial. It has a burning program for burning data and stuff like that. When you get it, open StartSmart, select DVD and then choose the icon on the left. That opens up the data burning options.

You need some kind of program to get your files onto the DVD. Usually your PC has one and when you try to copy something to a DVD it will open this program up.

I use Nero for this sort of thing.

Free trial:
    http://www.ahead.de/us/neroue-prog.php

3. Joker_15

Joker_15 Member

Iv tried Nero it doesnt work, Iv also tried Sonic which gives me this error messege "DVDErr, -336130" And i looked it up and it says usually a problem with outdated firmware but i updated the firmware and it still doesnt work.

4. cougar_ii

cougar_ii Regular member

Hi Joker_15

You want the truth about the PHILIPS DVD+-RW DVD8631 ?
    Do whatever it takes, but get DELL to replace it.

There are so many people who has problems with this drive it's incredible !

I know what I'm talking about, father in law got his replaced 2 days ago, and I have my call in with Dell to get it replaced.

We both got a PHILIPS DVD+-RW DVD8631 that came with our Dell Dimention 8400.

And don't take no for an answer, let them know you want the NEC-3450A
    (It's the Dell OEM of the NEC-3500).

I told them, if you are sending an other Philips, don't even bother to call me.

With an evil grin, I told the Dell Technician, I hope I don't do too much damage on the car across the street, because it's how far I'm going to throw it :) !!!

I changed absolutly nothing on my PC, just removed the Philips and installed my LG-4040B and I have 0 problems since.
    Damn I love that LG and yes I do all my burns at 2x, so they hell with this marketing stuff with 16x !!!

That PHILIPS DVD+-RW DVD8631 is the worse drive I have ever seen !

I could tell you all the problems I had with this drive, but I would use too much space in this forum, we would run out of room <grin>...

My 2 cents...

5. Joker_15

Joker_15 Member

Did Dell not replace your DVD Rom?

6. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Thats good to know, cougar_ii, I didn't have a high opinion of Dell before and I'll tell you it is stories like this that just make it, in my opinion, the worse big name PC you can buy. The previous big issue with Dells was trying to keep the DMA enabled.

They look so cool in the flyers and their new high-end Dimension XPS Gen 4 is just awsome. I'd just buy it without drives or the chapest ones they have and dump them for what I want in it. I notice in the flyer they don't bother with brand names for any of the components....Except the video and audio cards. Target= gamers I guess.

I bought my PC from Puget Custom Computers. It is flawless.

7. cougar_ii

cougar_ii Regular member

Hi there,

Just as you stated, the computer itself "Dell Dimensiom 8400" is the one I have is pretty need. I really enjoy the computer.

Sound card and video card I knew 100% what I was getting.

But for the CD-RW and DVD-RW, they just gave generic messages.

I have ended up with this Philips DVD8631 (Worst drive I have ever seen) and the Samsung SW-252S (Didn't really use it to it's full potential) so I can't really talk about it, other than R902 is the latest firmware on Dell's site, and you can get R954 from http://www.samsungodd.com

And yes, you need R95x for your drive to work with Roxio Media Creator v7.x

Conclusion: 200% happy with the computer.
    -200% happy with the Philips DVD8631.

I can't want for the NEC-3450A to replace it (Dell's OEM of NEC-3500).

Someone asked me if they replaced it.
    No it's still not replace, I just have the call in with Dell Support.

After 2 hours of almost getting mad on the line, they will send someone to replace it (Soon I hope). I have also stated I want the NEC-3450A and nothing else...

8. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

I buy drives like most folks buy DVDs so IMHO I'd just go get the drive you really want and install it. If you can get them to come out and replace it then you would have to go for that though.

I'd make sure that the thing works before the tech leaves though. Maybe have something ready to burn...

Make sure DMA is enabled.

9. ginnyk1

ginnyk1 Guest

at first i had problems with dvd burning with the philips dvd8631 in my dimension 8400. but after i updated my firmware to BD10 and got verbatim dvd+r 16x (manuf #95033), it was PERFECT. i had a lot of coasters from using the junkie ones that i got on sale at Fry's for 5cents each. soooo not worth it. if the verbatim dvd+r goes on sale, grab as much as you can!

10. cougar_ii

cougar_ii Regular member

Hi there,

Dell replaced my Philips DVD8631 today with a NEC-3450A.

No more problems !!!

11. BH57

BH57 Member

I bought a Dell XPS 3 months ago and as I type this I'm on the phone waiting for a Dell Tech Rep because the bloody Philips DVD8631 is not working!! It was defective from the beginning: I lost 4 GB of data on 2 data DVD's and several days ago it sporadically would't recognize multimedia DVD's in the drive and now it wont recognize any CDs at all. What a frikkin' piece of trash! I will insist on replacement NEC. Thanks for confirming Philips DVD8631 as the culprit!

12. Eric11

Eric11 Guest

I have to agree, I have had nothing but problems with my Dell 4700 DVD RW drive. Its a Phillips 8631. I called dell and they are sending out a new DVD RW, I called them yesterday and should have asked for the other brand, but if the new one is as bad then I will tell them to send the other brand.

Frustrating thing is that the problems did not start until after a week or so. Then it would do things like load one or two disks for a game but stop on the third one. Or read a dvd once then not the next time I put the same one in. Philips needs to stick to light bulbs and leave the computer technology to their betters.

13. cougar_ii

cougar_ii Regular member

Hi there,

Ask to get a NEC-3450A because you want nothing to do with an other Philips. Dell them several people on Dell Support Forum received that NEC and they are all happy.

Just received mine 2 days ago, and all my problems went away !

14. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

Dell support don't know crap!! I've had my fair share of calls with them.

You just have to be firm with them, you should be able to replace any part as long as your still under warranty.

And to give you an idea of how much I like Dell. The only thing that is original is ...

1) the case
    2) the motherboard
    3) the 2 sticks of RAM it came with.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2005
  15. cougar_ii

cougar_ii Regular member

Hi there,

If someone get the NEC-3450A from Dell, please note that Dell just released v1.03C firmware !

Will flash my drive this morning...

Enjoy...

16. Eric11

Eric11 Guest

Well,

Got the new Philips drive, and believe it or not, its worse than the first one. I had to Eject and play a DVD 3 times before it would load and it wont Load the games either. Called DELL and after an hour of holding they finally decided to send me out an NEC. The DELL guy said they have had massive amounts of calls about the Philips drive. Believe me when I say that Philips sux more than anything has ever sucked before. Hehehe

17. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

lol ... at least you got them to send you an NEC :)

18. Eric11

Eric11 Guest

The NEC arrived, I installed it and it runs perfectly. Loaded all games, playes and burnes without a hitch. Finally!

Thanks for the advise guys.

Eric

19. cougar_ii

cougar_ii Regular member

Hi there,

You probably received the NEC-3450A.

Dell just released Firmware v1.03C !

Happy for you !

20. Joker_15

Joker_15 Member

Well after talking to Dell support they sent me a new DVD Burner, but it was a philips which again didnt work. So i contacted them again and this time they sent me a NEC-3530A which works :) Thanks for the suggestion everyone.