1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fastest drive for ripping DVDs?

Discussion in 'DVD-ROM drives' started by Balaam, Apr 8, 2005.

1. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

Which is it? Thanks for everyones advice.

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Lite On 167T no contest. They're dirt cheap at $28 and will rip a tortilla if you could fit it in the tray :)

3. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Lite On 16P9S faster :)

Point is Lite On all the way nothing can touch them!!! They have SMART-X(*1) Smart Monitoring & Adjusting Read-speed Technology for eXtraction. No one else has that feature. There made for ripping :)

4. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

Cool. I couldn't find the 167t at any of the estores I frequent, but I placed an order for the 16P9S. $23 from newegg. Not bad, not bad at all.

5. pulsar

pulsar Active member

BBMayo, just had a look at the prices of that LiteOn ROM. rather expensive to say the least. In the UK that is. About 90 dollars! Is it worth the extra expense or should I stick with the Plextor PX-130? Update, just seen one in e-buyer @ 30 odd dollars, thats better!

Last edited: Apr 9, 2005
  6. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Pulsar,
    how fast does your Plextor rip now? and does it rip anything?

$90 is kind of expensive. I can't believe they are that much different in price from the USA to there.. That really suxs!

Balaam you will be very happy with that drive..

just to let you know Neph is the one that clued me in on the Lite On's to begin with several months back, and i just wanted to thank him for that :) Was the best piece of equipment I have bought for my PC in a while..

7. pulsar

pulsar Active member

My plextor will rip 7.5gig in 25mins. Never had a problem ripping anything with it. I have spotted the liteon you suggested on e-buyer for 30 dollars. Wonderful thing search engines!

8. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Yeah thats a bit slow compared to the Lite On. I can rip a 8GB file in about 6 min. Yours is about the average of other drives I have used though. The other thing about the Lite On is it will rip those problem disks better too.. :)

9. BigPantz

BigPantz Regular member

I got a Lite On DVD rom / CD-RW combi drive in my PC when i 1st brought it & it packed up in about 6 months. i then thought lite on were crap (until i read this thread & saw that lots of people have them). does that mean that combi drives in general are crap?

10. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Usually those combo drives of any brand aren't very good.

11. pulsar

pulsar Active member

That is FAST! I will be getting one of those I think! Nice one BB!

12. pulsar

pulsar Active member

It's on its' way! 40 dollars delivered next week!

Pulsar

13. BigPantz

BigPantz Regular member

ive got a Samsung SD616E rom drive now, with Sony DRU-700A, Emprex USB 10008UI external & Pioneer 108-D writers. I ripped a DVD-9 today from the Samsung in about 10 minutes using AnyDVD/decrypter. thats fast enough for me! The samsung drive was cheap too, about £15 with no software or cables.

14. pulsar

pulsar Active member

I'm not a great fan of combos, my samsung in my 2nd PC is good for burning cds (52x) but that is it! I prefer to get a machine designed to do ONE job, not 12! Helps to keep the components dedicated, I suppose.

15. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Can't wait to get my new liteon & see how she performs. 8gig in 6mins is pure lightning! NICE!!!!

16. BigPantz

BigPantz Regular member

2nd PC? one day i hope.. maybe im trying to run before i walk. ive only had a computer 10 months & want to learn how to do everything on it. the mrs. & kids think its some kind of expensive games console.

17. Doofy

Doofy Regular member

my pioneer slot 120 (flashed)ripped the incredibles in a shade over 4 mins flat. It always ripps at max speed whtever disc i put in it. dirt cheap here in the uk highly recommended.

18. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

I didn't have much luck with my Pioneer slot load DVD ROM. It would rip fast when it would rip, but it just wouldn't rip everything to good (had problems reading some disks). My Lite On ripped The Incredibles (Main movie) in less than 2 min. I have tested all kind's of DVD ROM drives, and none of them stay as consistant through out there burn speeds like the Lite On. It stays between x14 and x16 through out the whole ripping of the DVD. Most start out fast but lose speed (down to x2) when they get closer to the end of the disk.

19. pulsar

pulsar Active member

I knew absolutely nothing about PCs 2 years ago, despite the fact that my brother is a software engineer, he writes his own progs, self taught C++. Combined with a humungous brain, he makes me look like a rank amateur! I prefer engines. I have learnt loads, mainly down to my inquistive mind!

I ask so many questions I can make your head hurt. It is the only way to learn.

The only reason I have 2 PCs is because I have no family, not even a girlfriend (got my "fingers burnt" a few years ago, since then I do not trust anyone as far as I could throw them!). So I can spend my money on what I want! I can't help feeling that I missed out with having no kids. My best friend is a single mum, & her son is a real character. He is 3 mid-April, & I like to spoil him. He is simply the best person in the world. He is the ONLY person that I have complete patience with. Other people can quite simply kiss my arse!

Pulsar

Last edited: Apr 10, 2005
  20. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Same situation here my friend. Every word of it :)

Back on topic, I used a Pioneer slot loader with great success and loved it till the day it gave up the ghost. Very good ROMs in my opinion :)