1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using the "Search" Function...You must have to be in a secret society in order to use it!

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by venomX05, Apr 8, 2005.

1. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

Hey cool people,

Guess it is time for another thread by me! LMAO!!!

I have a gripe and this is going to be of NO surprise to most because it involves frequent users to aD. I would hope that this thread reaches every person on this site, but I am sure it won't.

There is a word here, that many people do NOT understand when it comes to finding information...that word is...the SEARCH button.

Is it me, or have we become an online society of lazy people. Time and time, and more time again, I have seen posts that ask the SAME EXACT QUESTION!!! Um, is there an echo in on this site. Do people understand what the search button is for. It is NOT decorative, it is not something that makes a page look cool. It is something that is there for a benefit. I, and MANY other users have seen the same question asked. My personal favorite: What is the best P2P? Well, here is your answer: Do some research! Why is it SO difficult to put several key words in either aD's search box or in google? Are we to assume that you have to be a Senior Member or higher here in order to activate the search function on aD. Honestly people, it is not that hard. Google, has paved the way to look up information. Say for instance, you are looking for the best p2p program, have a look at see what I found:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=+best+p2p,+afterdawn&btnG=Search

Wow, now that was REALLY hard. BTW, did you see what I typed in the search function? Notice what I typed in the search box in google?

Let's try another one, hhhmmm, how about burning video games, specifically for the both xbox, you know what, hell I will do both:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=burning+xbox+games,+afterdawn&btnG=Search

HOLY LORD CRAP!!! What did I just find on the VERY TOP of the google page. Shocking isn't it?!

See people, to use the search button or search engine, you don't have to be part of some mystic society. It is available to everyone. When you ask question like, "Help!!! Can't back up Spanglish/RE2" or any other of the repeatitive questions that are asked, you are NOT going to get a most welcomed response. No offense, but when you ask a question like that, your question is NOT special because it was ALREADY asked and answered like WEEKS ago. Do a search for your movie...you will be surprised at how many other people have asked that same question. On TOP of that, there are COUNTLESS guides that members have taken the time to post. They didn't do this cause they were bored, they did it because it is to help YOU with the repeatitive questions. Now, on that note, I would like you to watch this video:

http://www.starterupsteve.com/swf/posting.html

Now, I am not directing this irritation to those of you who take the time and read the forum rules/ask questions that are worded correctly/do your research before you ask a question...no, this isn't directed towards you at all. This is directed towards those who seem to have no understand of the word "search." Even now, I can guarantee that someone is asking a repeatitive question as I speak. Oh well, guess they will learn.

Even though I am a Senior Member, it doesn't mean anything. Title does NOT dictate knowledge. There are many senior members here, who were newbies before, but yet, knew that they could search for their answers, BEFORE asking a repeatitive question.

Maybe, it is just me, or maybe everyone feels the same, but frankly, it is like a slap in the face, everytime the same question gets asked, and you know what the funny thing is...that same question that they are asking...has been answered, ON THE SAME FRIGGIN' PAGE AS WHERE THEY JUST STARTED A NEW THREAD!!!! Now COME on people! Is THIS even necessary. There are stickies for basic information located on the tops of the forums to help you better understand what you need to do. For example, I don't have a console system, but I guarantee you, that I could get a console, look at the sticky for how to do mod chips and be able to play burnt games, and not EVER have to ask an repeatitive question like: "HELP!!! just downloaded a game, what do I do?????" I'll tell you what you can do, shut off your computer, put it away in storage, because you are too lazy to look for the answers.

I know that some of the members can agree that they hate when people ask a question they know they just could have searched for. People, using the search button, isn't rocket science, nor a special privilege, so use it to your advantage!

Ok, so, now I am done ranting and raving. But I want to leave this to those of you who don't bother helping yourself and want your hand to be held every step of the way. Please use the search button, it is not a scary thing to use! You want to know why most people get rude responses from members...that is one of the MAIN reasons why! So, if I may ask politely, to all of you who need to have their hand held and can't do anything for yourself...you need to make [bold]google your best friend![/bold]

Since you may not want to search for it yourself, here is the link:

http://www.google.com/

and this one might be useful as well:

http://forums.afterdawn.com/search/

Hope that helps and see yall in the forums!

;P

BTW...I just thought of something...how DID they find the site AfterDawn in the first place? I guess they must have tv commercials playing around the clock in every country in the world!

Last edited: Apr 10, 2005
  2. malcdogg

malcdogg Regular member

It's not gonna work, man. You can flat out tell someone to do a google search until you're blue in the face and they still won't do it. But i'll still try to help you get your message across............

http://www.google.com/

Last edited: Apr 8, 2005
  3. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

Thanks malc! I know it won't help, I just HAD to get it off my chest. But I know it won't make much of a difference.

Thanks for getting the word out for me though!

LMAO!!!

;P

4. Bubba1982

Bubba1982 Regular member

lol...i feel the SAME way! constantly getting that happen in the Xbox forum.."whats the best mod chip?"..."where can i find the bios?"...ect...ect...ect......arghhhh!!!!!!!

Yes, this is a place to help people..but like venom said, you gotta be WILLING to help yourself too.

5. baabaa

baabaa Active member

I agree, but you are talking to individuals here.........

The world we live in is moulded to be fast paced, therefore no one wants to search, they just want answers..............

What some people cannot understand, is that %90 of the time, someone else has had that problem, and by doing a search it may actually provide the answer, but sadly due to the size of the net now, searching can be VERY laborious, and also sometimes you have to trawl through pages and pages, only to find the link you thought related to your question is actually just made up of the accumalation of the words you typed in........................

Granted this is not always the case, you want to know a meaning of a word, you look in the dictionary - that is searching for a specific.

However alot of terminology that is used on the net is very generic and therefore sometimes provides some ridiculous links.....

Take camels toe for instance in google, now I know what a camels toe is but if you type it into google you will be surprised at what comes back.............it is not just the toe on a camels foot.

I do whole heartedly agree though, not enough people use the 'Search' function.
    I use it all the time, mainly because I always find some other information that will be applicable or even very interesting........

We can only promote the search function, it is upto the users own individuality to use it, however as this is a forum, the quickest and easiest way is to post a thread......................

Again, we can only guide and moan, and argue and shout and swear and curse............you know it'll never sink in completely........

We need to compile a 'hypnotic' verse that all users require to read before posting a thread, this would make the individual eyes glaze over, send them into a trance and automatically make them move their mouse upto the Search area.......................

You are now going to take a journey, relax and place one hand on your mouse, empty your mind, we shall begin.
    You are feeling warm, a slight breeze is rolling across your neck
    There is no sound though, the silence is peaceful
    You can see a warm sunset in front of you
    You hear nothing, your hand is beginning to come alive
    Do not be scared, release the tension and let it guide you
    You don't know where it is going, but you want to help it
    Let it move, let it glide, click in the window and type something
    Click on the search, you are there, the excitement should be overwhelming
    The tranquility of success has just been bestowed on you

Remember, add this to your favourites, so if you feel you have to post, position yourself correctly in your chair and relax, click on your favourites and go through the Search rehabilitation fucntion as described above, you will be back in your [bold]Special place[/bold]

6. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

ROTFL!!! Baabaa, I have GOT to hand it to you. You definately have a great sense of humor. Leave it to you to take a hot headed post, and turn it into an enlighted experience.

BTW...I am going to reflect now and go find the [bold]Special Place[/bold]

;P

Last edited: Apr 9, 2005
  7. Mr_Taz_UK

Mr_Taz_UK Regular member

I applaud your efforts Venom. Perhaps we can ask Dela to put this thread somewhere on the front page for a while.

baabaa. I tried your camel toe search, and now consider myself educated in areas i really didn't need to be. :eek:Þ

LMAO

http://forums.afterdawn.com/search/ <---special place this way.

later folks

8. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Heehee....................love it when it is the weekend, baabaa gets released into his field for fun and frolics.............

Glad to help where education is concerned, afterall it is a forum for learning.............LOL

The big question is [bold]Did you feel the emotion, and the need to Search[/bold]

If so, then I may patent it.................LOL, have a good one guys...................

9. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

@Taz,

Thanks man! I try to do my part!!! LMAO!!!

Oh...that would be pretty cool if that happened or even somewhere that will get lots of attention. I know from now on, anytime I see a repeatitive question...you can guess which thread I am going to give them first!

LOL!!!

;P

10. Jizmak

Jizmak Regular member

11. arniebear

arniebear Active member

LMAO Jizmak, this should be right on the startup page, good one.

12. smackfrog

smackfrog Member

Whats funny is that the people that should probably learn about searching probably won't find this thread b/c they will just go start a new one.

13. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Jizmak
    Too funny - I loved it. Thanks for the laugh of the day.
    Venom
    Great post but like most have said it will probably go unheeded.
    Google has been my best friend (computer that is). I don't know what I would do without it.

14. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

Hey again,

Well...don't know if this thread is going to generate anymore responses, but I am about to have a little fun with this.

So, I am asking you all to pass the message along. I am off to show the world how usefule the "Search" button can really be!

;P

15. baabaa

baabaa Active member

I just waiting for the first follow up thread:
    [bold]Could someone tell me how to use the Search function[/bold]

I think then we will see the Full Venom released............LOL

16. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

If I see that, I will personally send myself over the lines of the internet and CHOKE the HELL out of someone....ROTFLMAO!!!!!

If someone did that, I would actually respect them, because at least they are trying to learn, however, if they would have done a search, they would have seen Jizmak's video!

LOL!!!!

;)

BTW...you know why I choose this pic...just like Taz said...

Yeah, from all the repeatitive questions aD is getting!

LMAO!!!

;P

17. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

I just closed 16 separate Spanglish threads.

18. Mr_Taz_UK

Mr_Taz_UK Regular member

Yay Neph!!!

what would we do without ya?

19. arniebear

arniebear Active member

Thank you Neph, unfortunately the Focker ones are starting to sprout and the movie isn't even released.

20. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

It never ends.......................................... ;)