1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVDFab Official/Beta release thread (post updates here)

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by LOCOENG, Nov 7, 2007.

1. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

IMHO the +R TY T02s X8 were the best media ever made. I still have about 200 of "my precious" left. I got them by buying the Sony X8 +Rs which were made in Japan by TY and usually on sale for $15 a 50 stack 2 or 3 years ago. I probably used 800 so far.

2. dr_ml422

dr_ml422 Regular member

I understand. you came across the ty dvd+rs thru sony as ty made them. so the ty dvd+rs now shouldn't be that bad right? the verbs are ok. i'm still yet to try the ricoh or prodisc that supermedia has. usually they have the tape wrap which i don't care for as usually they'll come broken. also wth would you store them after opening up. so i stick w/the spindles or cake boxes. what's your take on the white printable discs whether tys or not in cake or spindle? do they get yellow after a while? i personally been sticking w/their shiny silver thermal brand, and now they have some new even stronger discs that they just posted. those look interesting.

3. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

I haven't tried any of the TY +R X16 since i have so many of the X8 TY TO2s. Those plus the Verbatim +R 004 X16 and anything +R Office depot X16 are the discs I am using now and have no issues with them.

4. Mordaunt

Mordaunt Member

I too have had excellent luck with Office Depot +R 4.7x16. In fact, I can't say that I've had much trouble with *any* 4.7x16. It's DL that's the crapshoot. Quality from spindle to spindle is unpredictable among the brands I've tried.

A separate issue: As a matter of policy, I try to keep compression at 80% and above going from DL to SL. However, I've gone down as low as 67% and noticed absolutely no degredation, no artifacts, nothing. I'm beginning to theorize that the reason why is because I'm playing the vid back exclusively on the computer, on my HP 2207. If I were to play back on a big widescreen TV I might notice information loss. That is, the information I am losing is not information being used at 1680x1050. What do you think about that? At 67% I should be losing 1/3 of the recorded information. Or is recompression just that efficient? Is interpolation involved at display-time? I noticed in the specifications for an NVidia 9400GT, that the claim was made that the card was able to "provide" non-existent information based on a real-time analysis of the video stream. Anybody have any experience with this?

5. dr_ml422

dr_ml422 Regular member

@garmoon When you said anything +R Home Depot are you referring to their own brand? I got thrown off there a bit and thought you meant buying different media at Home Depot.

@Mor How could you tell something's missing if everything seems ok, and the info is not being sent to 1680 x 1050? My Acer Monitor is 1680 x 1050, though I haven't seen any videos on here. Have to put in MPC or Quick Time Alternative n check it out. Though the graphics on the screen and from the web are great. I have a ATI Radeon HD 2600XT 512MB IceQ Turbo which I still haven't pushed to its full potential.

As far as your quality being great even at 67%, it prolly has to do more w/the proggie you're using to compress, and a lil of your card as well. DVDFab just updated their Platinum to get better compression and clean up the discs more thoroughly also.

creaky uses DVD Rebuilder and seems to get excellent quality from it as well. Shrink hasn't been updated so I guess it's still good for compression, but even better w/speed. I myself have been watching some backed up flics lately and have been very pleased w/how they appear on my TV set, and it's a Sony but analog.

6. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

dr_ml422

LOL That would be Office Depot not Home Depot. Good one. And refers to their house branded OFFICE DEPOTs, not the other cheap Ativas that they sell.

7. dr_ml422

dr_ml422 Regular member

LOL. Still a lil under the weather w/this bug that's going around. So the OFFICE DEPOT branded are pretty good. That's great to hear as I have to also start having something on the side as giveaways. That info on their Ativas I appreciate also. They were pushing those strongly a while back and I almost pulled the trigger.

8. Mordaunt

Mordaunt Member

Good point. I myself referred to the Office Depot BRAND.

Hmmm. That's an interesting suggestion: that the image is some sort of BEST CASE construct that can accomodate environments capable of displaying some theoretical maximum amount of information. UNUSED INFORMATION. Can it be?

I use AC/DC and Fab exclusively. They both appear to give roughly equivalent results. I wish DC (CD2) had better preferences. Fab allows you to select 4472 as the dvd-5 size which produces a larger image than DC's dvd-5--right up there against the 4,700,000,000 +R BYTE limit. Right around 4,690* consistently. I want ALL the information I can get.

9. dr_ml422

dr_ml422 Regular member

10. Mordaunt

Mordaunt Member

I'll try those compression settings. I'll try VOB Blanker. AC/DC is just my way of referring to Slysoft's AnyDVD/CloneDVD2.

11. dr_ml422

dr_ml422 Regular member

Oh ok. Thnx. I thought I missed the boat on some new proggie.

12. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

Just to clarify what I meant above, was any of the Office Depot branded +R X16 blanks which come in several flavors (not any discs they sold)- DVD identifier codes them as follows: Ricohjpn, Ritek 03 , and Ritek 05-all of these have been trouble free.

13. dr_ml422

dr_ml422 Regular member

So as long as they're branded OFFICE DEPOT, and except for those Ativas those are the ones that been pretty good correct? Different flavors I presume you mean colors?

14. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

NO!

The Office Depot brand blanks +RsX!16 all come in the same colored package. At different times Ricohjpan or Ritek make the discs that are in the stack. These are the ones you want!!! Do not buy the Ativas. You can buy Verbs there WHEN on sale which is not often. Verbs are usually on sale 50/$15 or les at Best Buy. TYs get online! Sony media is also pretty good at any store.

If you download this program-free-it will tell you who manufactured the discs.
    DVD Identifier

http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/

15. dr_ml422

dr_ml422 Regular member

I got it garmoon. I know the Ativas are garbage. The Office Depot branded ones like you said, DVD+Rs X16 are the ones to look for. Only thing is that you can't know the manufacturer until you use DVD Identifier or put it in Imgburn. I presume that for the most part they'll be made by Ritek and Ricoh like you mentioned? Otherwise one is stuck w/w/e you purchased.

16. Mordaunt

Mordaunt Member

I recently went through a spindle of Ativas and didn't have any problems. I'll buy Ativas.

17. 7thsinger

7thsinger Regular member

Let us know in about 2 years how well those puppies play back.

18. dr_ml422

dr_ml422 Regular member

Good one 7. Experience best teacher. About a year after some HPs I went to check one out and it had disintegrated. TYs n Verbs for me n maybe the Sonys too. Still to venture any Ritek/Ricoh or the OFFICE DEPOT ones suggested by garmoon.

19. 7thsinger

7thsinger Regular member

I burn quite a few of the RICHOJPN's and have been very pleased with the outcome. Those are the ones i burn for my son's movies. I use TY's or Verbies for mine.

20. dr_ml422

dr_ml422 Regular member

No way though of telling the MID until you put them in the identifier or ImgBurn. Are you referring to the OFFICE DEPOT ones that garmoon suggested come up RICHOJPN, or are there some that for the most part will be RICHOJPN straight from RICOH/RITEK? If so where do you usually go or can find them? Supermedia...? Thnx.

Don't like the tape wrapped, unless you could point something out that'll negate them not being bad. They'll usually be all dusty and after opening no where to properly store them.