1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TMPGEnc Plus 2.5 File "C:\...filename.avi" can not open, or unsupported.

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by ricardoe, Apr 15, 2005.

1. ricardoe

ricardoe Guest

File "C:\...\filename.avi" can not open, or unsupported.

When I Try to convert an .avi file to MPEG-1 using TMPGEnc Plus 2.5 I receive this error message when I try to convert an .avi file to MPEG-1 using TMPGEnc Plus 2.5 software:

I try changing the priority from -1 to 2 but the same error message appear. I change the priority on Main Window menu; Option; Enviromental Setting; VFAPI plug-in then I right click Direct Show Multimedia File Reader and select a Higher priority until set the priotiry no. to 2 and the line is at the top of the list, but the error messege appear again.

:( How can I solve this? If you know the answer please be specific and clear because is my first time converting form avi to MPEG-1.

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

Do you have the Correct Codec installed to decode this File??

Try Installing the "FFDShow Decoder" as it can read Most all Format Files and will replace the Need for Most Codecs....

3. Koala

Koala Member

Yeah I have a similar problem, my TMPG plus will open some avi's but not other and i get the same message.
    Is that FFDShow a plugin for TMPG?

Minion, nice overclock by the way. What's the standard FSB of your chip, is it a pressccot or a northwood?

4. ricardoe

ricardoe Guest

I don't know if the FFDShow is for TMPGEnc but after I install it this error messeage disappear.

Of course after the FDDShow installation I change again the priority
    using this procedure: On Main Window menu; Option; Enviromental Setting; VFAPI plug-in then I right click Direct Show Multimedia File Reader and select a Higher priority until set the priotiry no. to 2 and the line is at the top of the list.

Thank you Minion... I love you :)

Koala:
    The FFDShow is On this website:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffdshow
    I Download ffdshow-20041012.exe

5. Minion

Minion Senior member

Hi, The "FFDShow Decoder" isn"t a Plugin ,it is a Decoder that decodes Pretty Much every AVI Format there is Includeing all DivX,XviD and all Mpeg-4 formats so it will Basicly replace all the Codecs you have installed for Watching Movies....

As for My CPU Overclock I have a P-4 2.6ghz 800mhz FSB Northwood Processor Overclocked to 3.12ghz and I have Idle Temps at 38c and Temps on a Load are at 46c which is Cooler than most Non-Overclocked CPU"s on Idle...I can still Probably get another 300mhz overclock out of this CPU But I just need some better Ram that will Overclock that High....

My secret for getting such a high Overclock with such Cool Temps is Useing the Zalman CNPS7000-CU Cooler which is One of the Highest rated Coolers for all CPU Platforms But I have Mine Modded with a 50CFM 92mm Fan which greatly Improoves the Cooling...I also have 5 80mm Case Fans in my Case and a Digital Thermal Monitoring/Fan/Temp controll Unit that Monitors my CPU and Ambient Temps of my PC and the Fan speed and if the System starts to get hot it Increases the speed of the Fans and if it gets too hot it Beeps and tells me how hot it is Getting...
    It is a Nice Little System I have But I am considering Selling it For between $1500 to $2000 and getting an Athlon 64 System ,If you Know someone Looking for a system that Has everything let me Know...

Cheers

6. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Keeping it simple: AVIs are compressed movies which use a codec to compress them. A codec is a program that 'teaches' your PC how to COmpress and DECompress such AVIs.
    The most used codecs (the best ones which make lose less quality in the COmpression) are DivX and Xvid.
    FFDShow is a 'multiple' DECompressor-only codec, that teaches to your PC (and therefore TMPGenc and all other similar application) to 'read' the AVIs whic were compressed with a certain types of codec.
    TMPGenc 2.5 can read all mpeg-1 files, all AVIs you can decode, but only TMPGenc Plus can load mpeg-2 (SVCDs) files. Usually, on PCs which use TMPenc 2.5 free and have all the needed codecs (even the trial version of DivX is enough, to DECode only), the 'unsupported' should appear only for mpeg-2 movies.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2005
  7. Koala

Koala Member

I did all that, installed ffdshow, and changed the priority of the direct show thing and now it opens the files which is great.
    Unfortunately all of a sudden it is making mpg's without sound.
    Does TMPG plus 2.5 do this after a trial period is up, it hasn't informed me of any trial period but i thought i should ask.
    Any ideas where i can start looking? I tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it, but all the settings were the same. I haven't tried uninstalling it and deleting the registry entries as yet because i dont want to upset any settings i have for tmpg dvd author.
    Any tips on where to start looking would be great.

8. Minion

Minion Senior member

The Reason why you don"t have any Sound is probably because your AVI file Has either VBR Mp3 audio or Dolby AC3 which Tmpgenc doesn"t Support ..Actually all Encoders will Have Problems with them especially with VBR MP3 audio...What you have to do and should Do with every AVI file before encodeing just to be Safe is to Decompress the audio in your AVI file before encodeing it to Mpeg-2/DVD...

If you PM me with your e-mail address I will send you a Simple Little Tool that will decompress the audio in your AVI file so you don"t have problems with no audio or out of Sync Audio after encodeing to Mpeg-2/DVD....

Cheers

9. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

We have made a good change: from 'cannot open, or unsupported' you moved to 'mute AVI', which be solved more easily (see the 'sticky' thread...).
    To make a simple check, you can open the file with VirtualDubMod. If the audio is VBR, it will pop up a warning. After loading the file, you can do Stream___Stream List and watch which kind of audio strem you have. Usually, if it's AC3 audio TMPGenc cannot load the 'audio input' and creates a 'mute' mpeg.

TMPGenc Plus gives problems ONLY if the trial period is over AND you try to load (or to make) a mpeg-2 movie...

Last edited: Apr 20, 2005
  10. Koala

Koala Member

Appologies for hijacking the thread, that is rather rude.
    I thought the problem may have been related to the changes I made.
    still rudeness is rudeness no matter what the excuse.