1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by klv, Apr 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. klv

klv Member

My husband bought a dvd burner. He went to burn some movies and a message comes up saying copyright protected or if he thinks he has burned a disc we put it into the player and it says disc dirty or insert disc. Can someone please help my husband. I really don't think he is doing the burning steps right or doesn't have the right software.

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Hit him with a frying pan!!!!

Seriously though, most all factory DVDs are copy protected so you can't copy them with any old software. There are two free apps that will do everything you need to back up protected DVDs - DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter. Here's a link to some wonderful guides written by our very own ScubaPete:

http://www.dvdplusvideo.com/

If you or your husband need any more help feel free to ask :)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2005
  3. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Hi klv,

Here is a very good guide. http://www.dvdplusvideo.com/petesguide2.html bbmayo also has some good guides.

You need a proggy that removes css encryption. Dvd decrypter (free) is one and anydvd is another good one but not free. There is also DVD43 (free) but it is not updated as regularly.

Just click on dvd shrink/ dvd decrypter in the guide.

Neph beat me--------------- he lives here.

Forgot to ask what brand media is he useing? Use this free proggy to find the media ID code and let us know. http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/

Mort

4. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

By the way he is not driving a car so he can ask us for directions. We won't bite his head off.. Well.. Neph might, but seriously we are all one big happy family, and we would rather talk to you anyway :) LMAO!!

OK do yourself and your hubby a favor read this thread all the way through, and you will have a little better understanding of backing up DVD's. Either that or you will be so messed up after reading it and you will be worse off than when you started.. LOL I am just kidding there are links there to sites with all the programs you will need and a lot of great guides that will show you step by step how to back up your DVD's.

Good Luck, and welcome to AD :)

Edit: Guess it would help if I provided the link hu? http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/183136

5. Nephilim

I already bit off a head or two today so we're all safe :)

6. klv

klv Member

Thank you all for the advice. I went to ScubaPete's guide and did everything step-by-step. I just got done burning a dvd and when i went to play it in my dvd player it said disc dirty. What am I doing wrong here. I downloaded everything I needed too. I am using dvd+r disc. I downloaded the dvd shrink and the dvd decrypter. Also when I tried playing the dvd on my computer it said "A disc with an unsupported format". Please tell me what I am doing wrong.

7. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

What is the brand name of your disk's?

How fast did you burn the disk?

You could try the very first guide at my website (link in signature) It seems to work a little better for most people. It's not as easy, but it still isn't that hard. It's worth a try :)

Edit: I am in no way implying that my guide is better than Pete's just that IMO the first guide at my sight can sometimes get you through those problematic disk's a little better. Petes guide is actually the easiest. :) Hope that clears some things up?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2005
  8. klv

klv Member

My disc are compusa brand and I burned them at 4x. I will try your guide now. Thank You

9. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Probably is the media you are using that is the problem. The most important part of backing up DVD's is the media bran that you use.

Buying Online
    Taiyo Yuden (genuine TY’s there are fakes out there so beware)
    Ritek G04 brand these would be the x4 disks again beware of fakes
    Prodisc 2nd class media, but newer media x8 seems to work well for people

Buying at the store (Best Buy, Office Depot, Wal-Mart ect.)
    Fuji film – Manufactured by Taiyo Yuden, MCC, Ricoh Japan, Prodisc, Fuji Film all fairly good manufacturers
    Maxell – Manufactured by Maxwell, Ritek, RicohJapan, Taiyo Yuden
    TDK – Manufactured by TDK, Ritek, RicohJapan, Maxwell, MCC, CMC Beware of the CMC brand
    Verbatim – MCC, CMC, TY, RicohJapan, Ritek again beware of CMC which it seems Verbatim is using more frequently lately.

Note: A good rule of thumb when purchasing your media in the store is to look for “made in Japan or Singapore” stay away from “made in Taiwan or Hong Kong” When buying online always try and get “Branded” media this way you can be sure you are getting the genuine article. There is an exception to that rule and it would be Taiyo Yuden disks. You just need to buy from a reputable dealer when buying online. Here are a few I have bought from with good experience. Of course it isn’t going to be the same for everyone.

Supermediastore.com – Rated number 1 just about anywhere you look.
    Rima.com – Fast and cheap good service
    Mertline.com – Little slower on shipping, but quality media

Ones you should stay clear of
    Shop4tech.com – Let’s just say you get what you pay for.. I received fake TY’s from them

10. Nephilim

CompUSA sells notoriously bad media so you may want to try something better such as Verbatim Advanced AZO or Maxell :)

11. klv

klv Member

Thank you very much. My husband just looked at the disc and they were made in Hong Kong.

12. klv

klv Member

My husband went and bought some more disc. They are the maxell disc and the burning was fine, no problems. Thanks everyone for the advice.

13. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

glad to see you or should I say he got it all figured out :)

14. andmerr

andmerr Guest

EDITED

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2005
  15. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Edited:::

Last edited: Apr 23, 2005
  16. klv

klv Member

Now andmerr I was just asking for help here, not you starting problems here. With all the problems that are going on in the world today, we don't need to be acting this way. What is the old saying "If you can't say anything nice then don't say anything at all". Besides Scubapete and Nephilim helped me out alot, me and my husband could of still been trying to figure out the problem with burning dvds. But their advice fix the problem. So thank you Scubapete and Nephilim for everything.

17. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Darn bb, we were the first to suspect problem was with media and we didn't even get any credit ;). Oh well, glad to see you're up n running klv.

18. Nephilim

I've a bad feeling this one went somewhere unpleasant so we'll quit while we're ahead :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.