AfterDawn: Tech news

Videotron willing to give subscriber details to CRIA

Written by James Delahunty @ 22 Apr 2005 4:52 User comments (7)

Videotron willing to give subscriber details to CRIA Videotron, a Canadian Internet Service Provider said it is willing to hand over personal details of its customers to the Canadian Recording Industry Association and doesn't understand why so many other ISP's would choose to fight it. The ISP agrees that uploading music over the Internet is Copyright Infringement. They also say that this is a regular procedure if a court order is issued. They claim that some of the companies fighting to protect their customers own entertainment networks and are part of groups that are losing money due to file sharing.
The statement came not long after a hearing at the Federal Court of Appeal about file sharing. Chief Justice John D. Richard and three other judges heard arguments from both sides about privacy and copyright laws. A decision is not expected until late summer however. The main issue to be determined is whether the Canadian Copyright Act is violated when people upload songs online.

The Canadian Recording Industry Association is fighting for the identities of 29 file swappers that it calls "large scale uploaders" so it can launch legal attacks against them. Shaw Communications, Rogers Cable Communications, Bell Canada and Telus Communications are all fighting for their customers. The others say there’s no way to prove whether the IP address belongs to the person doing the uploading. A Telus lawyer said they want to see if the CRIA has proof.

Source:
Chart Attack

Previous Next  

7 user comments

122.4.2005 17:36

Glad i'm not a Videotron user. If i was i wouldn't be after reading that.

222.4.2005 18:12

Damn thats pretty sad, i would hate to be a maple leaf right about now! I wonder how many users they will lose?

322.4.2005 18:36

LOL. They don't realize why so many ISPs are fighting it? They will as soon as they lose all their customers.

424.4.2005 09:09

if videotron doesn't understand, fire the lawyer and hire some body who can read the copyright act - it is very clear that lend CD to friend is legal.

524.4.2005 12:16

glad im not with them man they are soo stupid if i was i would be calling and canceling right now. They just dug their own grave

Quote:
Videotron, a Canadian Internet Service Provider said it is willing to hand over personal details of its customers to the Canadian Recording Industry Association and doesn't understand why so many other ISP's would choose to fight it
because they want to keep thier customers

625.4.2005 01:39

well. if isp are legally responsible to give personal information on what a customer downloads if the wrong hands widespread identy theft could be possible

729.4.2005 11:23

It just proves how much the company Videotron really bites the big one. Used to be with them for TV, left them for another and never looked back. Hope they get what they deserve.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive