AfterDawn Forums

How to Fix missing VOB file

This discussion thread has 18 messages.

I've burned many DVD's before but this one is giving me problems. I dl'ed a movie as a RAR file, decompressed and when I tried burning DVD with NERO express it said the DVD was not video compliant. The DVD files are small enough to fit on a single DVD and are not encrypted. The files on my hard drive play fine using PowerDVD. I tried opening the files in DVDShrink and it wouldn't open saying that I was missing VTS_03_2.VOB. What I do have in the VIDEO_TS folder are the files:
VIDEO_TS.BUP, VIDEO_TS.IFO, VIDEO_TS.VOB, VTS_01_0.BUP, VTS_01_0.IFO, VTS_01.0.VOB, VTS_01_1.VOB, VTS_02_0.BUP, VTS_02_0.IFO, VTS_02_0.VOB, VTS_02_1.VOB, VTS_02_2.VOB, VTS_02_3.VOB, VTS_02_4.VOB, VTS_02_5.VOB, VTS_03_0.BUP, VTS_03_0.IFO, VTS_03_0.VOB, VTS_03_01.VOB

I am assuming that all of the files weren't included in the RAR file and one of the other IFO files is listing the missing file. When I open the VTS_03_1.VOB file in PowerDVD it is just a splash screen and I don't care if it's there or not. The VTS_01 title is the main movie menu and the VTS_02 title is the actual movie. I would like to keep both the menu and the movie. I think I could use IFO edit to create new IFO files for just the main movie with no menu and burn, but does any one have any suggestions on how I could keep the main movie as well as the menu? I think that IfoEdit doesn't support menues. I just dl'ed IfoEdit to try and fix this problem, so I'm certainly no expert at it. I assume my options are to either eliminate the entire VTS_03 title and change the IFO files listing it or to put in some kind of dummy file for VTS_03_02.VOB.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 23 Apr 2005 @ 17:41
▼▼ This topic has 17 answers - they are below this advertisement ▼▼
AfterDawn Advertisement
suede1976 Suspended due non-functional email address
I am having this problem too. Creating a dummy file didn't seem to work for Nero. I wish i had more help but i am trying to find the answers myself.
You might want to try a program called Blank VOB available at http://www.videohelp.com/~jsoto/dvdtools.htm

---
I tried BlankVOB as suggested. I created a blank VOB with the same name as the one DVDShrink said it couldn't find. Tried opening it in DVDShrink and this time it said I was missing VTS_03_3. So I made a blank for that one. Then it said missing _03_04. I went all the way up to _3_09, then it just kept saying that I was missing that one even though I had the blank one. So I'm not sure I'm on the right track.
I'm not sure why it thinks there is supposed to be a file VTS_3_02.VOB in the first place. I tried browsing through the main IFO file in IFOEdit but have no idea what to look for.
Been ages since I used IFOEdit, so I am very rusty, but may have a suggestion.

There is obviously a file that is pointing to the VTS3 vobs etc.
I think VOB id's are contained within the VIDEO_TS.ifo (not 100
% sure though).

I think in IFOEdit you can edit/remove the individual VOB ids within the ifo, then rewrite the ifo, and therefore it will not point to it so you can just remove it then.

Again I am not 100% on this, but it sounds feasible.........

Also can you not go through re-author mode in shrink to remove the VTS3 completely and re-author the files to accommodate this?

...............PIO is no go, DMA all the way...............
Beware of the Pixies - they move in over night and turn your life upside down

Thanks for the input. First off, DVD Shrink Re-author mode does not have the ability to use menues. I could use it to just burn the main movie, but I already burned just the main movie by coping the VTS_02_*.VOB's to another folder then running IFOEdit and clicking Create New IFO's button. If it was a regular movie this would be good enough, but this is actually a collection of about 20 video clips. When I burn just the main movie they all play sequentially. The menues in VTS_01_*.VOB's allow you to navigate through all the clips.
I think the answer is to alter the VIDEO_TS.IFO as you suggested using IFOEdit. The only problem is how? I read several guides on IFOEdit and but can't find anything close to what I'm trying to do. I've tried deleting all of the IFO and BUP files along with all the VTS_03_*.VOB files, then tried creating new IFO files for the remaining VOB's but had no luck. It seems you can only create IFO for one title at a time, so each time it creates a VIDEO_TS.IFO file. Somehow I need to figure out how to get one IFO per title and one VIDEO_TS.IFO file instead of two. I think at one point I tried renaming all of the VOB's to the same title number to do this and it didn't work either. Or I need to figure out how to edit the original IFO files. So far I just can't get the hang of IFOEdit.
I managed to take a few .vob files and use Ifoedit to create a workable vVIDEO_TS folder. I don't know if this is exactly what you want to do. I am a newbie at Ifoedit but managed this:

First thing I did was take one .vob file from each of several different clips I had on my PC. I just re-named them so they would be in sequence and just placed them all in a folder.

I opened Ifoedit and selected "Create IFOs"

This opened the "Create new IFO files" window. I selected the 1st VOB of Title-Set (The first .vob in my folder) with the browser in the "Output Stream" window area.

I selected "Create a PGC for each new VobID" and create a "chapter for each cell". I make the Destination directory "Same as Source".
Then I selected OK.

Ifoedit then processed each .vob in sequence.

When it finished I had a set of IFO and BUP files along with the VOBS.

I was able to open the folder in Shrink and process as usual.

I had tried this earlier and Shrink would not accept the folder. I re-opened Ifoedit and used the Vob Extras to correct Vob Unit pointers, Correct original IFOs. Shrink was able to load it after I did that.

I don't know if this will work in your situation but it seems similar.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 24 Apr 2005 @ 11:03

My website- http://www.dvdplusvideo.com featuring Guides by Alkohol, bbmayo, ScubaPete and me.
Thanks FasFrank, but that is not really what I'm looking for. As I said, I already used the process you mentioned to create new IFO's for the VOB's that contain the main movie. It seems that IFOEdit will not create IFO's for menues though. It's the menues that I want to keep, not just the main movie. So I assume that my only option is to edit the original IFO's and edit out the parts that refer to the VTS_03 title which contains the parts with the missing VOB file which is apparently just a splashscreen of some kind. The only problem is I have no idea how to do this.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 24 Apr 2005 @ 11:32
I found this and it might help you out. It looks like it is sort of close to what you want to do. Might want to look around there as well...
http://menuedit.dimad.net/ht_me_delete_vc.html

My website- http://www.dvdplusvideo.com featuring Guides by Alkohol, bbmayo, ScubaPete and me.
FasFrank, thanks for the link. I don't think I really need the MenuEdit stuff in the direct link since the VOB is already missing. Maybe I will to get rid of the other VOB's in that title. But in step 6 where it has the link to update the IFO files, it shows how to use IFOEdit to change the IFO files. I don't have time right now but it sounds like exactly what I'm trying to do. I will try it later and let you know how it goes. I really think you're on the right track here. Thanks again and wish me luck.
Good luck!

Yeah, let us know how you get on, fasfranks link looks like there are some good pointers in there.................

Hmm, come to think of it I may have a dabble with IFOEdit again..........

I messed aroung with the guide on using MenuEdit and couldn't get anything to work. The guide is for deleting part of a title set and editing the IFO for that titleset. When I try this and try opening it into DVDShrink it gives me an error saying I have invalid VOBs in the 3rd title set. I don't actually want to edit something in the third title set, I want to delete everything all together. I think I came up with a solution (although it seems too easy to actually work). I just deleted all the VTS_03_*.* files from the VIDEO_TS folder. I then opened the VIDEO_TS.IFO using IFOEdit. Clicked Get VTS Sectors, and it said:

"Corrected sector addresses in table [VMGI_MAT]:
VNG Number of Title Sets: [old:3] [new: 2]"

It now loads into DVDShrink. It also appears to still play in PowerDVD with fully finctioning menues. I haven't fully tested it yet or tried actually burning it though. I could've sworn I used IFOEdit several times to browse through all the pages of all of the IFO files looking for any reference to the third title set. After I got the above message, I loaded up the original VIDEO_TS IFO and right on the first page that opens it says "Number of Video Title Sets on this DVD: 3". It's right at the top too, don't even have to scroll down. I've spent hours and hours trying to fix this and it turns out it was right in front of me the whole time! No regrets though, I learned a lot of stuff in the process. Thanks again for all of the suggestions.
I was really hoping to hear good news about this. Consider yourself to be the IFOEdit expert! I'm sure not and don't really want to be.

Super....................

Just as an update, I've now fully tested the fix and burned the DVD and everything works. Now that I know how to do it, it's a very fast way to eliminate the splash screens at the beginning and end of some movies, as long as they have their own title set. Just to clarify the process in case anyone has a similar problem. Just delete all of the files in the title set you are trying to get rid of (VTS_*.*.* where the first * is always the same number). I deleted the last title set, but if it had been any other one I assume I would have had to rename the remaining files. For example if I deleted the VTS_02_*.* files, I think I would have had to rename all of the VTS_03_*.* to VTS_02 so there wasn't a set missing. Then run IFOEdit and open the VIDEO_TS.IFO file, click Get VTS Sectors. It will ask you if you want to check all of the IFO files in the folder. Click yes. It will correct the tables in the files for you so you will have a working VIDEO_TS folder. Of course you will first want to make a back up of the VIDEO_TS folder because these changes are not reversible. And you will of course need a program to preview the VOB files to know which ones to delete. In my searching for a fix to my problem, I came across several programs that could be used to eliminate a title set, but since my title set had some kind of corrupt or missing VOB, the DVD folder would not load into most programs. This was a just released DVD. I wonder if this was done on purpose? Time will tell if other DVD's with this problem start popping up. Either that or it was ripped or rar'ed incorrectly.
hijacker Suspended due non-functional email address
Go to a video game store and have them buff out the scratches on the disc then try to recopy.That's my advice.
hijacker... Please read the original post.... How can he buff a movie that has been downloaded?

Are you working on your promotion to member? How many posts do you need...

I worked hard as a Junior member to make sure the answers I gave were my best. As a Senior member I would urge you and everyone else to do your best as well.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 26 Apr 2005 @ 21:02

This discussion thread has been automatically closed, as it hasn't received any new posts during the last 180 days. This means that you can't post replies or new questions to this discussion thread.

If you have something to add to this topic, use this page to post your question or comments to a new discussion thread.