1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd9 to double layer!!!

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by miklodeon, Apr 29, 2005.

1. miklodeon

miklodeon Guest

i don´t know if this is the right place to post this but anyway: what is the best program to burn a complete dvd9 to a blank double layer-i mean :burn a complete dvd(with menus,all subtitles,all audio...)to a blank dual layer dvd but i don´t want slowdowns please... i heard copy to dvd is a good one, maybe dvddecryptor will work too?

2. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

Remove all discs from drives.

Open DVD Decrypter.

From the 'Mode' menu, select 'ISO' -> 'Read'.

Put DVD-9 disc in drive.

Take note of the 'Destination' file name.

Click the big 'Decrypt' button.

Take the DVD-9 disc out of the drive.

From the 'Mode' menu, select 'ISO' -> 'Write'.

Put a blank double layer disc in your DVD Writer.

Click the little folder icon - 'Browse for source file' - and select the MDS file created for you as part of the steps above.

Click the big 'Write' button.

Finished!

Note: If your drive supports booktype / bit setting, remember to tell it to burn DVD+R DL discs as DVDROM. This will make them more compatible with players. The booktype / bit setting utility is accessed by clicking on the little 'book' icon when in ISO Write mode.

3. miklodeon

miklodeon Guest

thanks !!! i will keep ansewring you all forever

4. tsatsos00

tsatsos00 Member

i got a question...i used dvd decrypter to copy the files in my pc (not as an iso).is there a way i can copy these files to a double layer?which software to use?

5. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

[​IMG]

or

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2005
  6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi tsatsos00, welcome to aD,

You can use DVD Shrink. Download and install it, go to Edit - Preferfences and in the Preferences tab use the drop-down menu to change the DVD Target size to DVD-9. Click OK THEN use "Open Files" to browse for the folder where your files are. Allow Shrink to anaylize the files then click "Backup", select your DVD burner in "Backup Target" and select a place on your HD for Shrink to use as a temporary work space, Click OK and you're done. :D)

Cheers,

Pete

There we go yet once again - typing too slowly - (Lol)

Last edited: Apr 29, 2005
  7. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi there ScubaPete

hehehe - i say in pictures you say it in words! but as a team i think the guy will grab this no problems...

;-])

8. tsatsos00

tsatsos00 Member

guys...u r much more than helpfull!!!thanx.. PS(by the way the reason i did not use iso rip was because i had in mind to use dvd shrink and compress it...but since i just bought a double layer i thought of using it right away)- another question 4 u...how much does a dvd 2ble layer cost in the states(probably?!)?[Here, in Greece, i bought it for 5,50 euros]

9. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

When buying the Dual-layer discs here the best price I got was
    5 - Dual-layer discs (RiData)
    1 - DVD+RW disc

For $24.99 PLUS $6.00 shipping (USD)

approx $6.00 each cause they stuck me for the shipping

10. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

Shrink will also open ISO files. Since you ripped in File mode (created a video_ts file) you can use Nero or CopyToDVD to burn to a dual layer dvd.

11. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

if you are doing more dvd9 dvds then just use dvd dcecrypter to rip and burn one app done! but use the mds file as it contains the layer break info from the original structure of the dvd9

12. tsatsos00

tsatsos00 Member

scubapete..so in euros the dvds you bought are cheaper since the euro is stronger than $!!by way the dvd disc i bought was made by platinum at 2.4x(the maximum speed i have found up to now)!--unfortunately despite yr help and my effort as well as cash, the movie i tried to bckup with dvd shrink brought up an error at 97%!!i did not understand though! i use NEC ND-3520A...what do u think about this writter?oh and something else...do double layer dvds play in home cinema equipment(the reason i ask is because most players claim to read DVD+-RW...but dbllayer?)

13. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

If this happens during reading then try another disc If during burning, use CD Checker to be sure the files aren't corrupt (it could have happened during the ripping phase). I can only suggest setting the write speed to 2.4 X because during the first layer of writing it may have gone too fast. Recheck your ASPI Layer, Firmware and defrag all drives. Lastly, run a laser-cleaning disc through your drive.

As all of these drives have been out for less than a year, it's hard to tell over the long run BUT to date there have been no bad reports.

Yes ! All professional DVD's are dual-layer so these should play just fine. A RW disc is a very different matter -

Pete

14. tsatsos00

tsatsos00 Member

hey guys.. i got a prob with the dvds-9 i recorded the last time. so here's the deal: as i was watching the 1st movie on my home cinema equipment, I noticed there was a sec of pause and then changed to the next chapter!( so all i had to do was to press the back button... in case u didn t understand)---why did that happen?!!then just to double check... i watched a second movie.. and again probs! there were like pauses in several seconds.[ my burner, and the dvds i bought i have discussed them in a reply above]was it that i burned at 4x??or probably the dvd discs aren t so good??or is it my NEC?!!.......HELP!

15. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Though a decent company makes your discs, they are using the cheapest dye/app available.

Translation, you need an upgrade in media, as yours doesn't appear to meet the quality standards necessary for our type of video work.

Offerer: Platinum
    Manufacturer: Ricoh company Limited
    Dye type: Unknown When companies use a decent quality dye they "brag" about it. Listed as "Unknown" generally indicates that the dye changes often based upon the cheapest price.
    Version:

Think of these as another "Memorex" using a different name :(

For the best DL discs, youi cannot beat Verbatims.

Cheers,

Pete

Last edited: Jun 10, 2005
  16. tsatsos00

tsatsos00 Member

Problem, again!!!...after 2 or 3 months...i tried to copy another movie in a double layer dvd...but the recording was very bad!!first of all you cannot see the subtitles picture(but only the picture that starts at the beginning menu...however you can see the first picture and a long selection line going up or down but you cannot see what subtitles u r selecting!!! that also happens for the special features i can see the frame....without anything in it!)AND besides that at the 40'minute...the chapter changes to the next!!!!!!!!!!! I used Decrypter to store the movie in iso in my hard drive ..and then i used dvd shrink to burn it. I did read yr messages saying that i should use a more expensive dvd and i bought a TDK DL for like 8 euros!!!!!!!!! so pls help me ..what is going on?is it normal to get this chapter change while the movie moves to the next layer???

17. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

tsatsos00,
    ScubaPete gave you good advice in that you should Use Verbatim dual layer blank media. When I do a dual/layer movie I use Verbatim and only use DVDDecrypter in Mode>.iso read Mode> .iso write. DVDD seems to be able to find the layer break better than Shrink. (IMHO). I have no idea where you can get D/L disks at in the country you reside. Here in the US we usually use the internet and purchase them from Mediasuperstore, Newegg, Rima, Meritline. All of them are reputable

18. tsatsos00

tsatsos00 Member

Thanks...i ll try again then the sooner possible

19. tsatsos00

tsatsos00 Member

ok..i have come back with more news... I bought Verbatim DL DVD disks and i burned a movie with Decrypter from iso....and it actually worked ..there was no mess up while it changed layers!! However i have another question: i have backed up one more movie in my hard drive but not as iso!! Soo how can i use decrypter in that case?! ( you see...the previous times i used Shrink...but either shrink or the Dvd disks i had bought were not getting me good results; thus, since decrypter worked for me once i want to use it more often that s why i am asking!! in short i am not sure whether the problem was the disks or the burning software.. )

20. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member