1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best DIVX DVD Player, Yamada?

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by sellsolid, May 7, 2005.

1. sellsolid

sellsolid Member

Hi Guys,

I have been browsing through the forum reading the feedback on various DIVX players.

But what I dont understand is why people are advising others to buy a Yamada 6700?

I have read alot of negative review regarding firmwares for the yamada and alot of subtitle problems. It sounds like a hassle. I have heard that people have messed their systems up by installing various firmwares. Are their risks with firmwares? If so how can they be avoided, and where is the most reliable place to get firmware updates?

Overall can the Yamada play AVI files PERFECTLY with subtitles. Does it depend on the file, for example the resolution size etc. Because I dont want to purchase it if it plays for a couple of minutes and then freezes for a few seconds. I really want one which plays perfectly.

My budget is maximum £80, but Yamada can be brought for £60. Is it worth taking the risk?

Is the firmware a huge hassle, I have alot of DVDs with subtitles, so I want it to play clearly and I dont want the sound out of sync.

I appreciate any help.

Last edited: May 7, 2005
  2. bulldogio

bulldogio Member

do yourself a favour, ditch yamada and beg borrow or steal 20 quid to get yourself a pioneer dv575 from here (the cheapest i could find)but i collected from my local store.

http://ws4.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=PION-DV575-SIL

check what this bad boy can do here:

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers...Search&chipset=&country=&orderby=Name&hits=25

i have abused two dvd players before seeing the light. three cheapo's at £50 each lasting two years in total sacrificing sound and picture seems like false economy to me.

the pioneer plays every disc i throw at it. supports divx/xvid playback (although does not support packed bitstreams, but use MPEGmodifier to unpack, easy) dvd-audio, progressive scan and blah, blah.

people have mentioned problems with mp3 tags and divx subs but this can be rectified with this firmware:

http://mtz.softpedia.com/

I have had the pioneer one month. no skipping on all my backups, divx/xvid perfect (after mpegmodifier), no probs after firmware (adds bass and treble to audio menu but does add dodgy czech screensaver)

i don't work for richer sounds or pioneer. i was just sick of shelling out cash for crappy dvd players that play everything but at the cost of video/audio. spend that bit extra and get a decent make that plays the lot.

hope this helps,
    dunc

3. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

I have the Pioneer DVD575 and its kicking the ass out of my much much more expensive Marantz DV8400 in terms of performance screen images and what it can do...

Chris

4. Smingers

Smingers Member

Hello

I was just wondering if anyone knows if there is a divx dvd player equivalent to the pioneer dv757, but which can also play packed bitstream audio on divx files, and has got dts playback also?

Thanks

5. catfreak

catfreak Active member

••• This Yankee wants to know what the heck a quid is •••

6. Smingers

Smingers Member

hahaha, a quid is a english pound, or one pound sterling or £1, hope that helped

7. Ms_Monroe

Ms_Monroe Guest

Hi you guys..

I recently bought the Yamada 6500x from Maplin Electronics for £39.99, after having been led to believe it plays avi files perfectly. I finally tried it out yesterday & today, and have discovers that yes it does play them perfectly.....for about 20 minutes. Then the sound no longer matches the picture & the picture gets distorted. At first I thought it was a crap file, or dodgy disc that i burned it to or something...so I turned it off & on again, & replayed from a couple mins before where the problems started last time. It played fine right past the first problem point & for another 5 minutes, then the picture freezes again & the sound mis-matches.. blah blah blah. Now, it is entirely possible that its something to do with the user, cuz this is the first time I have tried to play avi files in a dvd player & I admit to being very un-knowledgeable about such things. But the discs work fine in my laptop with no problems.... any ideas as to what it can be & how i fix it? I tried altering the settings which didnt work, & the "user guide" is pretty much zero help as it just tells you what the buttons on the remote do. I am looking for some advice in case it is me, before I dig out the receipt & take it back demanding a refund!! Any help greatly appreciated!

Jai xx

8. catfreak

catfreak Active member

... I'd dig up the receipt and exchange the unit ... They can't all do what you describe ...

good luck to you

9. Ms_Monroe

Ms_Monroe Guest

Hey Guys!

Well, I finally took that cheap pile of crap back to Maplins & they argued with me over the refund but I got it in the end, purely because I proved it wasn't the first thing I'd bought from there & had to return because it didn't do what they said it did, in their catalogue.

So... I went on a hunt of DIVX players on the internet & I decided to check out the Poineer DV575, as this forum recommended - I went to visit my local Super-fi store & they showed me the new model DV585, they let me bring discs in to play on it, demonstrated it for me & made it multi-region at no extra cost. I LOVE my DV585 - it plays pretty much anything I put in it...... granted it was a little more expensive than I'd planned to spend but I would say I got my monies worth!! Best £130 I ever spent. I finally got one that does what I wanted :D & thanks in part to the recommendation for the DV575 from here, so thanks guys!!

Jai xx

10. liamski

liamski Member

Hey there

I read this post with interest, as I've had real grief with my Yamada 6000 and now a JVC Divx DVD player

I've searched around for a cheap PIONEER DV575 and DV757 but with no luck. I have found a DV585

Can anyone confirm whether the DV585 is...

a) better than the DV575 and 757 ( I guess it is because it's newer???)

and

b) can you upgrade the firmware on it like you can with the DV575

Cheers for your help

L

11. Ms_Monroe

Ms_Monroe Guest

I personally have no idea, because I'm not very good with technology & stuff at the best of times. All I can say about my dv585 is that I LOVE it to death, it works perfectly with every disc I put in it & that's good enough for me & my very limited knowledge lol (Plus I haven't killed it yet with over-use which is also a good thing hehehe).The only reason I ended up with a dv585 instead of the 575 was the shop didn't have any 575's. Not that I cared... I just wanted something that actually worked!

There are some very very smart & helpful people around here that definitely know more than I do so hopefully one of them will be kind enough to help get you some answers! Failing that, don't be afraid to go to a store & pick on a sales person to ask any questions to (that's what I did & I asked to see it demonstrated with a few of my own discs before I parted with the money), if they want your custom they will have the answers & be helpful. :D

Jai xx

12. gear79

gear79 Guest

i guess the yamada is an over the pond player.
    cusz here in the states, i have the LG LDA-511, and it plays it all, divx, xvid, data... tons of formats, and not a single problem. not to mention, i paid 150 bucks for it, and has HDMI upconversion.

13. zrdb

zrdb Regular member

I also have an LDA-511 and it is the best xvid/divx player hands down. I've purchased and taken back a ton of other xvid/divx capable players and this is the best of the lot. Only downside is that it is a slot loader and has problems with some kinds of discs such as printable blanks and "flipper" discs. I have a 418 which is basically the same machine but with a tray instead of a slot.

14. gear79

gear79 Guest

@ zrbd.... wow, you have both?
    has the 418 given you any problems? any lip sync issues?
    mine did, alot, i did a few firmware updates on it, direct from LG and it made it worse. so i traded up for the 511.

my 511 from time to time will slip up and the disk will not come out all the way, but other then that..... i love this player.. it has played all that i throw at it and then some. i burn alot of back up movies, and various other formats, this player does not even hesistate to play them.

15. zrdb

zrdb Regular member

I did one firmware update on my 418 and haven't had any sound sync problems with it since, maybe you just had a bad one. I back up a lot of R1 anime dvds and sometimes both the 511 and 418 have trouble playing back dvd+r dl copies of dvd9's, that's when I switch to my Sony DVP-NS50P-if it can't play it-nothing can!!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2006
  16. gear79

gear79 Guest

the 418 had problems before a certain build date, i think like 5-2005 and below they were the ones, but mine was a 11-2005 date and LG sent me a hand full of cd's to upgrade, it only made it worse. so i have the 511 no problems..

17. acromar

acromar Member

I need to replace my faulty Yamada and I like the sound of the DV585. Could someone please confirm whether it will play avi and mpeg1 files? Thanks.