1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

video cutting/joining nero

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by qwerttyp, May 10, 2005.

1. qwerttyp

qwerttyp Member

does anyone know how to cut/join video files using nero 6 (nerovision express, recode etc.) If nero cant does anyone know a very good program which does (loses no video/sound quality).

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

What Type of Files are they???

For AVI files I use "Virtual-Dub and for mpeg files I use "Womble Mpeg2VCR" both can join files without any quality loss But both Files have to be exactly the same before joining...

Cheers

3. ccampbell

ccampbell Regular member

Hi Qwerttyp,

If you launch Nero Vision Express, select the option to Make DVD->DVD-Video and then add 2 or 3 video clips, you can then select all the video clips you just added, and then click on the MERGE button in the bottom left of the window. This is how NVE can 'join' video clips. In the TimeLine they may show as seperate, but the end result will be joined clips. As for cutting, in the Edit window we have icons that look like clippers, use this to select a range to cut out. Any content shown between the two clipper icons will be cut out.

Regards,

Craig
    Nero Inc
    USA

4. qwerttyp

qwerttyp Member

i dont want to know how to cut OUT. i want to know how to keep the WHOLE movie but just split it into 2 or more pieces with nero

5. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Do just as Craig suggests.... first, cut out the last half of the movie, noting your cut point. Process this first half and burn your first disc. Do the process again, this time removing the first half and burning the second half to another disc.

Your movie is now split in two and on two discs.

6. qwerttyp

qwerttyp Member

so basicly your telling me nero is made to split videos properly???

if that's the case does anyone know a software which does???

7. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

You asked if Nero could cut/join video files and if anyone knew how to do it.

The answer is yes and the procedure was explained.

Here is another "very good program" that does this in a similar way:
    http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/main.html

8. qwerttyp

qwerttyp Member

i am sorry if i confused people but i meant split instead of cut. i didn't even know you could CUT OUT.

I wanted to know a proper way because if you were to use Craig's way you cant get the EXACT cut point when you did the first cut.

Last edited: May 15, 2005
  9. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

You can, if you zoom in on the Timeline and note the exact frame at which you make the cut. I don't use Nero to do my editing. I use Roxio EMC7.5, but I know that you can zoom in on the timeline in Nero, also.

10. qwerttyp

qwerttyp Member

could someone PLEASE tell me another way through nero programs because i do not wish to use that way. I believe nero made that part of the program like that to be used as a cutout type - having said that you people seem happy to use that as a splitter!!!

11. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

You could try DVD Fab. It will split the disc without to much trouble. I used it a while ago and it worked OK as I remember.

There is some information about it here:

http://www.dvdidle.com/dvd-fab-platinum.htm

The reason we are mentioning using a editing program is just because of the accuracy involved. You can get a much more accurate cut point doing it by hand. The "automatic" splitting programs don't always get it quite right.

Because your split movie will usually fit easily on two DVDs, it makes sense to watch the movie and figure out where the "intermission" should be. Letting a program rely on chapters to make the cut can lead to a cut in the middle of action scenes, musical scores, etc.

That being said, some of these programs will let you select which chapter you want it split at.

Sometimes I run split discs through Premiere Pro. For the end of the first disc, I add a fade to the video as well as the audio track. I add an "insert disc 2" clip. For the beginning of the second disc. I make sure I have a few seconds of overlap and do a "fade in from black" effect.

Cheers,
    Frank

Last edited: May 20, 2005
  12. qwerttyp

qwerttyp Member

i have been using dvd fab for a long time, it is a great program for splitting dvds. BUT i need a FILE SPLITTER

thanx

13. qwerttyp

qwerttyp Member

I still want to know how to split if anyone will be so kind...

14. ccampbell

ccampbell Regular member

For NeroVision there is no way to 'Split a Movie' to two DVD's or CD's. Other than the way mentioned previously.

If you use Nero Recode, and choose the option for NeroDigital (MPEG4), we have an option under Fit to Disc where you can choose CUSTOM and be able to tell it to split the file to fit onto 2 CDs, 4CD, 2 DVDs, etc.

But then it would be in MPEG4 format and not the DVD-Video VOB format you are probably after.

Regards,

Craig
    Nero Inc
    USA