1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using Bluetooth to transfer ringtones and pictures

Discussion in 'Motorola phones' started by VWrpm, May 12, 2005.

1. VWrpm

VWrpm Member

Hey everybody,
    Since these forums have answered many of my questions in the past, I thought I would share how I transfer pictures and ringtones to my Motorola a630 for free. I read a lot of posts and replies in these forums about this topic and can share in the frustration of making the available software work properly. If your phone is equipped with Bluetooth and your PC uses the XP OS, you can transfer pics and mp3 ringtones for free. The only things you will need are the passkey for your phone (this should be in your manual; mine was 0000) and a Bluetooth adaptor for your PC ($10 ordered online; $30 in-store for those like me that are too impatient to wait). Hopefully this works for others as well as it has worked for me.

[bold]Bonding the phone to the PC:[/bold]
    1-Turn Bluetooth on in your phone. (settings-connection-bluetooth link-setup)
    2-Go to control panel and click on bluetooth devices. Click options tab and then check the turn discovery on box. Click devices tab and then click the add button. Check the device is set up and ready to be found box and then click the next button.
    3-Select the find me option on the cell phone and wait for detection.
    4-Once detected, highlight your phone on the device list and click the next button. Check the use the passkey found in the documentation box and then type the passkey in the space provided and then click next.
    5-The cell phone will ask if you want to bond with the PC. Select yes and then re-enter the passkey on the phone and select ok.
    6-Click the finish button and setup is completed. This process only needs to be completed on the initial setup. After the initial setup the PC knows the phone and will recognize it when sending and receiving data.

[bold]Uploading ringtones:[/bold]
    1-Prepare your ringtones using your favorite software (I use Audacity to chop the songs down and Freerip to convert them to mp3's; both are freeware)
    2-Right click on the finished mp3 and select send to and then bluetooth device. Your phone will display a message about the incoming transfer and ask you to accept or decline the transfer. Choose accept and wait for the transfer to finish. Save the mp3 on your phone and you now have a new ringtone.
    3-Use the same process to upload pictures to the phone.

[bold]Downloading pictures to the PC:[/bold]
    1-Right click on the bluetooth icon in the system tray on the PC and select receive a file. If you skip this step you will get a service not supported error on your phone.
    2-Navigate to the picture on your phone that you want to transfer and use the menu options to select move and then choose your PC as the destination. If you only want to send a copy of the picture to the PC select copy instead of move.

I hope someone finds this information useful.

2. chorro

chorro Member

this should be a stickie!

3. VWrpm

VWrpm Member

Thanks for the vote for a stickie. I tried to be as thorough a possible.

4. forumcrew

forumcrew Regular member

Hey i cant figure this out... I connect my phone via bluetooth i can get pictures off of it and everythingm its definantly connected. But I cant send anything to it, I tried just drag and drop and like you said right click send to.. it just says.... Creating FTP Connection..then FTP Connection Failed...Could not connect to device. Any ideas?

5. VWrpm

VWrpm Member

What phone and carrier are you using? It's kind of strange that it is creating an ftp connection since bluetooth is a wireless connection.

6. forumcrew

forumcrew Regular member

I have the motorola A630 with T-Mobile

7. VWrpm

VWrpm Member

I have the same phone and carrier and the process I have outlined works every time. What are you trying to send to the phone?

8. forumcrew

forumcrew Regular member

well id like to send audio to use for ringers.. anything .mp3 format should work right?

9. VWrpm

VWrpm Member

Yes mp3's will work perfectly. I usually make my ringtones 30 seconds long at 128kbps and they end up around 470kb. I like the clarity and volume at this size since I don't change my ringer that often during the day. You can make them shorter and with a lower kbps rate to use less space on your phone.

10. forumcrew

forumcrew Regular member

ok i made progress it started the connection then the file started to trasnfer (on mycomputer) but cancelled very quickly. It never asked to accept on the phone.. ok tried a smaller file and it is working atm what is the total memory? and can you delete some of the stock tones.. ok got a smaller file to work :) its weird i did nothing different

Last edited: Jun 2, 2005
  11. VWrpm

VWrpm Member

Glad to hear you got it working. I haven't tested to see how large a file can be transfered but I want to see if it will transfer a whole song.

12. forumcrew

forumcrew Regular member

well an entire song is what i tried first and it failed, do you know what the total space is?

13. charles73

charles73 Member

I've been on this problem for hours & hours & I'm hoping Mossyy or anyone can help. I have a motorola E398. I have installed phone tools & my problem is being able to send music/ photos to the phone. I can dial my phone via the computer & use calender etc. I'm using an Anycom 120 USB Adapter.

I'm sure its something that staring me in the face.

14. VWrpm

VWrpm Member

Total space on the a630 is just under 5000kb. I just transfered a whole song @96kbps. It came out to 1831kb and took 8 min to send.

15. forumcrew

forumcrew Regular member

can the crappy stock tone be deleted to free some room

16. VWrpm

VWrpm Member

I'm sure the stock ringtones can be deleted as well as the stock wallpapers/screensavers(they do suck and there are too many of them) but I haven't done enough research to feel confident in doing it myself. There is a stickie on the topic though.

17. VWrpm

VWrpm Member

Charles73,

If you only want to send pictures and mp3's to and from your phone you can use the bluetooth function on your phone to do so without the use of MPT. Do you have the XP OS on your PC?

18. browntwn

browntwn Member

I also have Motorola A630 and am trying to send the mp3's files as suggested but I get an error message saying FTP connection timed out. Any suggestions???

VWrpm...help...you seem to know what you're doing.

Forumcrew, what did you do to get your FTP connection working because I was also getting FTP connection failed before but now FTP connection timed out.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2005
  19. charles73

charles73 Member

Yeah, I running XP OS. Whats the lowdown ??

20. browntwn

browntwn Member

XP for me too...Starts with Creating FTP connection and just hangs there.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2005