1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

connecting xbox to pc

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by david1man, May 17, 2005.

1. david1man

david1man Member

please help i have spent hours and hours trying to connect xbox to pc to transfere games to pc to make a back up copy. i have tried using flash ftp and ipswitch ws ftp pro and all i get is error reading response from server connection closed by remote host.
    these are my settings on my xbox
    enable yes
    type static
    ip 192.168.0.3
    auto detect no
    ftp server
    enable yes
    user xbox
    password xbox
    port 21
    max 2
    allow anonymous no
    syst name unixemulated by unleashx 0.37.1218a build 543
    boost mode yes
    please please please help me many thanks

2. david1man

david1man Member

oh and by the way i am using a cross over cable !!!!!!!

3. Macdawgg

Macdawgg Regular member

Whats the IP address of your pc?- the first three set of digits have to be the same for the X-box as the pc(Example-XXX.XXX.XXX) all have to be the same the last set of digits are whats different. Also I'd invest in a router(less hassels)

4. david1man

david1man Member

when i go into the local area connection the ( tcp\ip ) is
    192.168.0.1 . many thanks for the help it is much needed

5. Macdawgg

Macdawgg Regular member

Do you have a firewall up and running? if you do try disableing it. Next thing is the cable itself. Buy yourself a inexpensive router(plenty of them out there)

6. david1man

david1man Member

i have turned off the firewall and still the same. when you say route do you mean the same as the one i use for my broadband ? i am new to this xbox gaming. i have no probs with my ps2 . thanks again

7. Macdawgg

Macdawgg Regular member

I suggest you pick up a router-it'll look similiar to the one that you use for your broadband-Go with a Linksys and make sure its "wired" NOT wireless. But before you do that do you happen to have a friend that has an X-box that has a mod chip? if so have him bring his over and try it but everything seems to point to your cross-over cable. Also what dashboard are you using(evoluntionX,avalauch,unleashedX)-go into the program and give me the settings for everything as far as the network goes-the gateway,ip etc. and let me know what operating system is on your pc(Windows 2000, Windows XP?) if your using one of these do this-go to start-run and type CMD in the run box. A blackbox will appear-next type ipconfig/all and give me the ip address the gateway and dns values as well.

8. david1man

david1man Member

hi i did the run on pc and its as follows
    ppp adaptor broadband
    ip 80.43.82.173
    gateway 80.43.82.173
    dns 212.74.114.129
    i have windows xp and the xbox settings are as follows

current ip no link
    mac address 00-0d-3a-c0-1a-7f
    enable yes
    type static
    ip address 192.168.0.3
    subnet mask
    gateway
    dns 1
    dns 2
    auto detect yes
    ftp server
    enable yes
    user xbox
    password xbox
    port 21
    max No of users 2
    allow anonymas yes
    min pasv port 1024
    max pasv port 65536
    syst name unix emulated by unleashx 0.37.1218a buil543
    boost mode yes
    ftp client
    min port 0
    max port 65536
    detect peers yes
    http connection
    enable proxy no
    proxy
    port 1080

when i use the cross over cable there is only 1 place it can go in the back of computer isnt there ? i have unleash dashboard
    and again many many thanks

9. Macdawgg

Macdawgg Regular member

Bingo-there's your problem in a nutshell-your ip address for your pc and x-box aren't the same. remeber what I said in my previous post-the first series of digits "have to be the same" But it still looks like your doing something wrong your gateway and ip address "can't be the same" they have to be different on your pc. Check them again let me give you another example. lets say your ip address for your pc is 80.43.82.173 then go into your x-box's network settings and change it to 80.43.82.175 and ccheck your gateway address again for your pc that has to be wrong. but make sure the gateway for your pc and x-box are the same and your good to go!

10. bstaker

bstaker Member

how do I find the right ip address

11. david1man

david1man Member

does the cross over cable go into the local area network if so do i need to change the ip address for the lan, or do i need to change it on the xbox to corrispond with the broadband ip address ( the address what i got from what you told me to do ) many thanks again

12. punqewe

punqewe Active member

OK here we go....
    On your pc...goto control panel and get to the icon of the network card that you're gunna use. Right click it and select properties,then highlight TCP/IP and click the properties tab.
    Now check off the dot that will allow you to select your own IP address. Fill it in like so...

IP-192.168.0.225
    subnet-255.255.255.0 (this is default)
    default gateway-192.168.0.10
    Now click OK and close the windows...you are done on this end.

Now on your xbox,goto your dashboard settings and select the setting that will let you use a static IP and fill it in as so

IP-192.168.0.224
    subnet-255.255.255.0
    default gateway-192.168.0.10

save and exit,reboot if you have to.

Now if you are using an ftp program the settings will be

IP-192.168.0.224
    username-xbox
    password-xbox

That's about as easy as I can make it....I hope this works.

fixed...thanks

Last edited: May 19, 2005
  13. mdsup

mdsup Guest

hey punqewe he type in the xbox ip in the ftp client

should be 192.168.0.224

14. punqewe

punqewe Active member

yeah sorry bout that,(good catch) the IP of the xbox should be the same as the one you are connecting to in your ftp program.

15. david1man

david1man Member

i thought the ip on pc and xbox had to be same ? does it have to be them settings or do i change the pc so its the same as the oone on xbox ? thanks

16. mdsup

mdsup Guest

he gave you some settings that will work...why did you ask for help if you don't even try the things people say? why would the xbox ip be the same as the pc, that is just dumb? the xbox ip CANNOT be the same as the pc ip...just use the settings punqewe just gave you, THEY WILL WORK.

17. punqewe

punqewe Active member

You can also use another method....the 2 NIC method (online)

Go into your control panel and navigate to the connection that you use to axcess the internet. Right click it and select the advanced tab at the top.....now select to share this conection. You will have to configure it a bit but it is easy and it will make perfect sense when you look at it all. Once you're done there,goto your other network connection and make sure that it's set to use DHCP. (non-static IP)

Now in your xbox settings set it up to use a non-static IP (DHCP)...you might have to reboot your box and/or your pc for the settings to take. Once you have done this and your pc is running,boot up your xbox and look on the dash. The IP will now be a non static one,and all your online functions are now availible to you. You can even use xbconnect to tunnel through your pc and use the xlink/kai features. To ftp all you would have to do is look to see what IP your xbox has asigned to it and use that in your ftp program with the username (xbox) and password (xbox) and you should be good to go.

18. david1man

david1man Member

hi i have got it sorted now thanks very much , i had a game saved on the hard drive and i have transfered the files to pc , what is the best program to make them in to iso's i have dvd decriptor to burn . also when i am doing a game which i have in the drive do i need to hi light all the files in d drive and transfere them over to pc . thanks again dave

19. david1man

david1man Member

i have used flash fxp to transfer the xbox game to pc and called the file xboxgame what do i need to do with this now.

in the file there are other files these are

bink / maps / media / default.bak / default.xbe .
    many thanks for your time dave

20. mdsup

mdsup Guest

use qwix to create a iso...then just burn the iso, and you will have a backup.