1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ISO/BIN answers to Critter and Disliked

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by aldaco12, Jan 17, 2003.

1. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Critter, can you post the cue file here, please?

It is very strange that a Mode1 track (data) has a pregap. This usually applies to AUDIO CD, or in mixed mode CDs (PSX) that have one data track plus N audio tracks. The burner needs to put a pregap between the data track and the audio tracks because the reader nees to re-synchronize the laser.

So I'm thinking you're dealing with a protected CD. But I need to read the .CUE file first. Post it here!

Also, did you try the ISOBUSTER trick? (extract all files from the image to your HD then install/burn them).

Disliked,
    I have gone deeper on the BIN/ISO topic and I found on Isobuster Help file a surprising sentence:

.ISO AND .BIN FILES ARE ALMOST EXACTLY THE SAME

the only difference that sometimes occurs is the extraction mode for sectors. ISO can either be ISO/2048 or ISO/2352. .BIN are image extracted 2352 bytes/sectors.

- The .ISO file is an digital copy of the CD content made this way: the ripper searches for the sectors of the CD that have been used, say 251,000 for instance (there are 330,000 sectors on a 74 min CD and 360,000 sectors on a 80 min CD). Each sector is copied on the .ISO file, one by one, and only 2048 bytes for each sector (only the ones containing the user data) are copied. The .ISO file should then be 251,000 x 2048 = 514,408,000 bytes big. (It will be slightly bigger if the extractor puts a header on the file, like Nero .NRG files that are .ISO files plus a small file header)

- .BIN files (or .RAW files) are images extracted in pure RAW format. That is 2352 bytes sectors, the full CD sector content: user data, sector header, error correction codes (ECC) and error detection codes (EDC). Once again, each sector is converted to digital data in the .BIN file, but more stuff is copied and the resulting file will be bigger. The .BIN file should be 251,000 x 2352 = 590,352,000 bytes big. This process will copy ANYTHING on the disc, so it is useful for exotic discs (multiple tracks, mixed track type Audio+Data or Data+Audio) and for non-PC CDs (PSX, VCD, MAC).

Of course, a ripping program extracts the data from a CD and renames the image with the extension he chooses. The .IMG file created bt CloneCD is exactly a .BIN file. I could burn it with CDRWin by writing a proper CUE file! Just, it has a different extesion.

I also suppose that some program could use the .ISO extension instead of .BIN (only Roxio Easy CD Creator does not accepo RAW IS format).
    So, if you have a .ISO file of a PC CD (only data) and you burn it with a .CUE file written like this

FILE "image.ISO" BINARY
    TRACK 01 MODE1/2048
    INDEX 01 00:00:00

it will work. But I cannot guarantee that there might be some files with extension .ISO that were extracted RAW, that is 2352 bytes/sector.

In this case (that you'll check with the 'divide by 2352 test, or you can check it by importing the file with Nero File_Burn Image command) you'll use a .CUE file made like this

FILE "image.ISO" BINARY
    TRACK 01 MODE1/2352
    INDEX 01 00:00:00

Got it?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2003
  2. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

I'll clean the READ1st.

3. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Critter, just a question: maybe you left checked the 'Test Mode' button and you just made a test write.

Anyway: try examining the disc you created with Fireburner with ISOBUSTER.

Sometimes the burner actually burns something on a CD, but for some reason (sessions left open, disc left open, data wtitten in MODE2 instead of MODE1 etc...) Windows does not see anything on the disc. Isobuster will see ANYTHING, even if the CD has been formatted as a Macintosh disc! I tell you this because (unless you made a Test Write) there *must* be something on the disc.

Let me know. Bye

Last edited: Jan 21, 2003