1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to make a SafeDisc mini-image

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by Shoey, May 18, 2005.

1. Shoey

Shoey Guest

How A Mini-Image Works

Ok, basically SafeDisc checks the start of a disc for "bad sectors". If they are there then the game is thought to be authentic and the game will start. When you read a full image you are reading the "bad sectors" at the start as well as all the other data. The problem is that all the install data etc that takes up over 99% of the space, this data is not needed to start the game, only to install it. It isn’t convenient for most people to have loads of 700mb images on there hard drive just so they can play a game without the disc in the drive.

What a mini-image does is keep only the data at the start that is used too authenticate the original disc. This is made up of the "bad sectors and the "table or contents", the "table of contents" is just a list of all the files on the disc and how big they are, (this is why they still show up as the correct size
    on a mini-image even when they are empty) The mini image discards all the other data as shown in the diagram below:
    [​IMG]
    A mini-image is normally 1-5mb, which is a much more practical size.
    How To Make A Mini-Image
    1. Launch Alcohol 120% 1.9.2.1705 (or higher version) with the original SafeDisc game's play disc in the drive you want to read from.
    [​IMG]
    2. Start the "Image Making Wizard".
    [​IMG]
    3. Select the drive that the disc is in from the "CD/DVD Device:" option. Then set the read speed to "1x (150KB/Sec)". Then make sure all the other options are UNchecked, except for "Skip reading errors", this should be checked. Then click "Next".
    [​IMG]
    4. You can then select the location that the mini-image will be created, I have selected the desktop, and have left the mini-image the same name as the volume label, but with "Mini_Image" on the end. Then click "Next".
    [​IMG]
    5. It will start reading wait a few seconds.
    [​IMG]
    6. After a few read errors have come up (2 or 3 is ideal) have come up click "Cancel". It will then ask if you are sure, click "Yes".
    [​IMG]
    7. It will then ask you if you want to delete the uncompleted image files, click "No"
    [​IMG]
    8. Then click "Finish"
    [​IMG]
    9. You will now be back on the Alcohol 120% main window, close down Alcohol.
    [​IMG]
    10. Now check the image file is there where you set it to be saved.
    [​IMG]
    How To Mount A Mini-Image
    11. Right click the Daemon Tools 3.47 (or higher version) icon in the tray.
    [​IMG]
    12. Go to "Virtual CD/DVD-ROM"> "Set number of devices..." and set it to 1.
    [​IMG]
    13. Then go to "Virtual CD/DVD-ROM"> "Device 0: [letter] No media"> "Mount image".
    [​IMG]
    14. Then browse for the mini-image you made and open the .mds file
    [​IMG]
    15. It should then AutoRun the disc, simply by showing the contents of the disc. There will be no icons for the files, and none of them contain any data, however they will still be there original file size.
    [​IMG]
    16. You can now launch the game from the start menu shortcut! (You cant start it from the disc like before as the AutoPlay data will have been removed)
    [​IMG]
    This method has been tested from SafeDisc 2.9 to 4.000, make sure you make the mini-image from the original disc or it may not work. You do not need to have any emulation (ATIP hider etc.) enabled for the mini-image to work.
    Guide copyright belongs to bcn_246, CD Freaks

2. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

Way ta go!!!! This saves alot of space for me on my notebook.

3. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Well don't thank me for the guide, thank the author :) I can verify the Alcohol 120% mini image works as I had to create one for The Sims 2 University(Safedisc 4). My Plexy just couldn't make a 1:1 backup :(

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2005
  4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Outstanding information my friend and thanks to bcn_246 for the effort. It's good to see you back Shoey :)

Is that with your PX-712A? How has the Plex Premium fared against SD 4?

Last edited: May 18, 2005
  5. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

Thanks for bringing this guide here and thanks to the author -bcn_246-

I just tried this Mini_Image on "Call of Duty" and "United Offensive" and it worked.

I used Alcohol's Virtual Drives to mount the Mini_Image's and was successful, But this may not be the case with all Safedisc games.

6. Shoey

Shoey Guest

I've read at a very reliable forum that the Plex Premium can easily defeat Safedisc 4.0. Many used Alcohol 120% using the Safedisc 2/3 profile, reading and writing the protected game at 4x. I also read the Lite-ON (52\32\52x), Asus 52\32\52x and Lite-ON Combo (52\32\52x)(16x DVD-ROM) also had great success making 1:1 backups :) I believe I recommended the Plex Premium to you a long time ago and you purchased? Grins... :)

7. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Well so far Alcohol 120% mini image has conquered the latest Safedisc cd protection :)

8. Nephilim

Absolutely and I recommend it every chance I get. Under your tutelage I've yet to run across a game I can't make a working copy of. I remember when SD 3.20.022 came out and BW5 couldn't handle it. You saved the day with your recommendation of BW 4.57 and the settings you gave. I love learning from you Shoey :)

9. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Thanks for the props Neph :) Have you had a chance to try and make a 1:1 backup of Safedisc 4.0? (The Sims University) with your Plex Premium? Still have your Plex PX-708? oh, I have a recommended dvd burner if you wan't to upgrade and it's NOT a Plexy. It's the BenQ DW1460 :) Bad to the bone dvd burner, great write quality!
    BenQ DW1640 hardware review (1st look)
    http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/193

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2005
  10. Nephilim

I haven't had a crack at SD 4 yet but I'd like to give it a shot. I'm curious to see if BW 4.57 can still beat it as well as my 708A. I was able to make a great copy of SD 3.20.022 using the 708A and BW 4.57 so that's another curiosity for me.

I'm so far out of the loop as to what new games are out and what protections they use. Do you know of any shooters that use SD 4?

11. Crazycro

Crazycro Member

Nephilim you mentioned using BW 4.57 with the Plex 708-a what are you refering to by BW4.57? I have the 708-a and would like to try it.

Thanks in advance

12. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

13. Tauri

Tauri Member

Excellent guide, thanks! Would this work with Nero as well, or does it have to be alcohol?

Also, does this only work on Safedisk, or are there other CD-protections that work the same way?

Thanks,
    -T

(Also, I'm new, hi!)

14. izepic

izepic Member

Hi Shoey
    Thanx for the guidance, but... I'm trying to backup another disk and need to use the data itself. Tried the disk after burning it with Alcohol 120% but using it, it gives me "disk not compatable"in my system (car navigational system). PLZ HELP.

PS I haven't tried the mini disk greation as yet but think one would have to combine the data with the mini disk

15. stefreak

stefreak Guest

well!i tried to create a safedisc mini image but it didn`t work!no errors appeared!I cancelled the process anyway and tried!but it didn`t work!can you tell me why?I followed all those steps! :(

16. JesteR_17

JesteR_17 Guest

yeah I followed the steps too and it didnt give me any errors... i still cancled it after about 5 mbs and mounted it but it didnt work.

17. Tauri

Tauri Member

Well the obvious first question is "Are you sure that the disc is safedisc protected?" If you're not sure, go look it up on www.gamecopyworld.com .

18. stefreak

stefreak Guest

yeah I have now a mini image but it still doesn't work.something like tis appears when I insert the mini-image:CD/DVD emulation software detected!please remove any emulation software and restart the game!is there something else i could try to make it work?

19. Tauri

Tauri Member

Ah...well that's an entirely different problem. That's using a different copy protection, which scans for blacklisted software (like Daemon tools), and won't let you play if you ahve it installed, on the off chance that you're pirating the software. Which of course none of us would ever do. We all just use cracked copies of games we own because we get tired of switching CDs all the time.

<_< >_> <_< >_>

^_^

20. stefreak

stefreak Guest

oops!sorry then!i have no excuse for that...silly me!arrest me PLEASE!!! :(( I DEESURF IT!