1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Firewall?!?!?

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by FreeGamer, May 22, 2005.

1. FreeGamer

FreeGamer Guest

Hey yall what's the best firewall I can order?? I use Norton but I know it's shit lol- So can someone give me a good firewall?? Thank you

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

3. FreeGamer

FreeGamer Guest

I now use AVG PRO7 for virus! Does anyone have a software just for FIREWALL?? I mean I don't want something with like antivirus and firewall..Just firewall software..and I dont want one that would be free! please I need one bad

4. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

then get the paid ZoneAlarm version...what's wrong with a free one if it's good, anyway? and it doesn't hurt to double up on Anti-virii. i use AVG Pro, Norton, and ZA's antivirus protection.

5. FreeGamer

FreeGamer Guest

Because I don't think a free version would cover as much as a paid version! Or would it? Oh and what ZoneAlarm software should I get? There is a few different kinds of ZoneAlarm it shows like 5 different things they make! Thank you

6. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

it's the same firewall for all versions, free included. that's why it's such a favored choice of many people around here. the other versions just have goodies added, like an antivirus or a system control program or crap like that. for your strongly emphasized purposes, the free version is exactly what you need.

7. FreeGamer

FreeGamer Guest

Alright thank you! I think I am going to just get the free version- Thanks again

8. FreeGamer

FreeGamer Guest

Wait one more thing...Say this is my only firewall thingy I use! Is it countable?? Like I mean if it's the only firewall thing I have can I trust it to protect my WHOLE pc?? Thanks

9. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

yeah, ZA is the only actual firewall per se that i use, and it will cover your ass just fine. but it doesn't hurt to have other protection programs.

Last edited: May 22, 2005
  10. FreeGamer

FreeGamer Guest

One more quick question!! SORRY LOL Ok I also got AVG Anti-Virus PRO 7.0, will that detect incoming viruses thorugh online?? Or does it only catch the viruses when you scan for them to get em out??

11. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

you have the option with that program of using an on-going protection that protects full-time against virii in addition to the scans (you should do those at least once a week). be sure to round out your protection with Spybot S&D, Ad-Aware, Registry Mechanic (or something similar), and regular use of the Disk Clean-up tool with your OS.

Last edited: May 22, 2005
  12. FreeGamer

FreeGamer Guest

Could you help me find the option to turn it on so it is on for full time please??

13. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

unless you've screwed with your settings, it will be on by default...see the avg icon in your system tray? that's how you know it's going.

14. FreeGamer

FreeGamer Guest

Ooh ok! It's been there the whole time! I was just wondering if it was on because with ZoneAlarm PRO Trial it says ZA does not detect any anti-virus software on your pc

15. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

ZA and AVG work very well together. the setup allows you to run the ZA antivirus and the AVG antivirus simultaneously for twice the protection.

16. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

the best firewall is actually a router with a firewall or a product called alfasheild .hardware beats software hands down

17. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

that may be, but it doesn't seem as though FreeGamer was interested in hardware. however, i didn't even think of it because i'm on a dial-up connection and a router with a firewall would be pointless for me. but FreeGamer, if you're on a high-speed connection, a good router w/ firewall would be a strong system, as well.

18. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

my ISP has a couple of PIX firewalls, and i have a broadband modem/router/switch all-in one with built-in NAT/firewall. I used to use software firewalls but always found them lacking, obviously especially when i went from diallup to broadband. Now hardware is the only way for me. I do use smack up to date virus protection though just in case

19. Xian

Xian Regular member

Cisco Pix are good, but usually cost a lot more than most consumers will be willing to pay. A Pix 501 is the basic model and can probably be found for a little over $300.

A cheap alternative for a hardware firewall would be Smoothwall
    http://www.smoothwall.org/
    You need an old PC with 2 network cards, but even a 486 will work. It basically installs a specialized version of linux configured for firewall use.

20. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

It's the ISP that uses the Pix stuff so it's their expense.

i've heard Smoothwall is ok, a guy here built one (but he's a Linux freak so is obsessed with reusing old machines for Linux for everything except the kitchen sink); i'm more than happy with my router as it just works, no messing :)

a good test is Shields Up - https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2