1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

converting vhs to dvd

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by Dpoooh, Jan 19, 2003.

1. Dpoooh

Dpoooh Member

Hi all, i'm new here. Can someone guide me how to convert a VHS to DVD using a computer and vcr. My computer has a dvr105 dvd recorder. I don't know how to connect a vcr to a computer. if there is any website please let me know.

Thankx_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Deep[/small]

2. portica

portica Member

if there's a step by step guide on doing this i would like to get it also..i'm trying to do the same thing and i'm lost

3. mhatip

mhatip Member

U need video capture card, but i dont know which one has the best quality for capturing video. Once you got your card, then you can hook up your vcr through RCA connector to your capture card, and then use a program that comes with your capture card to capture video from your VCR.

I also am looking for the capture card, but dont know which has the best quality for doing that.

4. portica

portica Member

maybe some of the mods or anybody interested in helping us out could suggest the best capture card (in quality/price).

I'm also wondering could you use this process to convert a pal vhs into a ntsc dvd? what would you need?

Thanks

5. miksirhc

miksirhc Member

If I can be so bold and suggest few things:

Capture card-
    I personally found that investing on high-end capture card was not all that worth it unless I had high quality S-VHS tape. Which means the quality of the recording of VHS tape will determine the quality of transferred video clip to the computer. So after trying many hours of comparing recorded video clips on my computer I concluded that any regular TV card with input capability does the same trick, compare to $400 capture card by Adaptec. Again, I’m stressing my opinion from the condition of my VHS tapes. One component that I looked for when I purchased a TV tuning card was S-Video input. My JVC SVHS player supports S-Video output and this will be the better playing quality compare to Composite port. And the only reason I decided to purchase the TV tuning card was to record TV shows as well.

What to look for-
    If your hard-drive is huge I suppose this section does not matter to you. The TV tuning card also supports MPEG2 recording capability, which saves a video clip as small as it can without compromising the quality. My TV tuning card is from AVier Stereo card and paid no more than $50 when it was not on sale. This card lets me capture a video at maximum resolution of 720X480 MPEG2, and an audio at 48 KHz, 29.97 fps *fames per second (these formats are ideal if you are transferring it to DVD diskette).

Simple steps-
    1. Record onto your computer by running the appropriate software given with the capture card and playing VHS tape using your VHS player (I have it set to record from VHS S-Video output to TV tuner card S-Video input, audio output from VHS to audio input to my computer sound card).
    2. Edit your captured video clip using your Video Editing software (I’m using few software such as Adobe Premiere, ShowBiz, and Hollywood Video)
    3. Use your DVD creating software to create your DVD diskette.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2003
  6. miksirhc

miksirhc Member

Regarding PAL format:
    If you own a PAL VHS player you would not need to worry since the VHS player will play back in the correct format. I have tried once to do this procedure and the major notice I found was that the image looks bit stretched out. PAL’s highest capturing resolution (and correct me if I’m wrong) is 682X480. Therefore, if you were to capture this PAL video at 720X480, the image will stretch to “fill” the area. Not a major difference but never-the-less, a difference. Once you have captured your video to your computer, you can treat it just like any other video recordings. Again, the KEY is to have a PAL VHS player.

7. portica

portica Member

but when i burn this to the dvd will it be ntsc format..or still PAL.

BTW Thanks for your tips..very good ones.

8. mikecapy

mikecapy Guest

I have a question that is a bit off topic. But yous seem to know alot so im hoping you can help. I capture vhs video and burn it to dvd disk. Everything goes good until I view the disk. The video runs very fast compared to normal. Almost like im fast forwarding it. Do you's know how to fix, or avoide this problem? Thanks in advance!

9. miksirhc

miksirhc Member

I use ShowBiz software as my filtering device. ShowBiz turns my final edited movie file into workable DVD supporting file (mpeg2) without all the hassles. Within ShowBiz, there’s an option to finalize the video to either NTSC or PAL format. Then, run DVD authoring software to create your DVD disk. Since your creation does not contain a Regional Code, I’m speculating there should be no trouble playing back in any DVD player that supports your DVD diskette format. The reason why NTSC and PAL format is important in broadcasting is this: television makers chop certain percentages from the edge to display the focused portion (a.k.a. TV safe zone). NTSC has wider vision of area compare to PAL. Thus, if your movie format is in NTSC and is played on PAL television, you’ll lose considerable amount of viewing material on the left and the right. Conversely, if your movie format is in PAL and is played on NTSC television, you may find black strips running from top to bottom on both sides.

10. miksirhc

miksirhc Member

MIKECAPY…

May I ask how you are capturing your initial VHS video to your computer, i.e. what capture card and which software.

But before that I’m going to guess that your recording VHS setting in your computer software may be incorrectly set. For example, if you are recording to your computer via VHS at 30 fps, and you encode that to DVD and authorize you MAY have asynchronized frames per second. Again, I’m purely guessing this. If you record your VHS at 30 fps and encode it back to 29.97 fps or lower you may have too many frames trying to fit into one second cycle--thus faster movement to catch-up to the time cycle.

Let me know with your recording settings and see what others can comment on.

11. mikecapy

mikecapy Guest

Hello, thank you for replying so quickly!
    I am using AverDVD EZMaker the software I am using is neoDVDstandard, it is the software that came with the card. The card captures up to 720x480. The software dosent seem to have the option to change frames per second. All I notice is the option to record at good, better, or best. Which I am guessing means the resolution. Thank you for all of your help!
    Mike

12. miksirhc

miksirhc Member

AVer software should have "customize" button. AVer's answer to BETTER quality, from what I've seen, is 320X240 at 25 fps. Perhaps this is the reason why your video plays at faster rate. If the capturing software does not allow you to customize at different settings, try a different capturing software found on this site. I think I saw a video tool section at the main page of this place.

But then again, the video clip captured from your TV channel is fine... I'm at a loss.

Keep us posted and see what others can find.

13. mikecapy

mikecapy Guest

Thank you for all your help! I am going to see if I can find some other programs that might help on Direct Connect.