1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Demux help

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by Olsario, May 29, 2005.

1. Olsario

Olsario Member

I'm attempting to rip a movie to my hard drive to edit it, and then burn back to a DVD.

I'm able to rip the movie to .vob files on my hard drive... in this case there are 5 of them. I would like them in a mpeg format for easy editing of said movie so I join all the .vob files using VOBmerge and get one large .vob file. At this point, I have one .vob file that plays fine in Media Player or PowerDVD in both audio and video aspects. However, when I demux it to .m2v and .ac3 files, the sound file is always longer than the video file. The sound file is the actual running time of the movie while the video claims it is roughly half the running time of the movie... however, when I go to watch the .m2v file it plays fine and seems like the entire movie, I can't find where it's missing anything. I've tried demuxing it with several different programs and even tried demuxing the individual .vob files and came up witht the same results... the video and audio are never the same length.

Is there something I am missing?

Thanks.

2. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Demux to m2v/ac3 in ReJig.
    Put a tick in the option to Fix & Correct AC3 Delay.

3. Olsario

Olsario Member

Tried it with rejig and got the same results. The .ac3 file is 2:16:04, the .m2v file is 50:42, and the .vob file is 2:16:04.

I don't understand why the video file always show a smaller time but the movie is intact... as in it doesn't cut short or appear to be missing parts but when mux with the .ac3 file it is obviously not in sync.

Why does the .m2v shrink in time when demuxed from the .vob file while the audio keeps the same time?

Thanks.

4. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

The m2v's timecode is incorrect, possibly from a poorly joined original mpg.
    Try ripping in DVD Decrypter, file mode.

5. Olsario

Olsario Member

I've ripped with DVD Decryptor(file mode) and DVDshrink... always ends up the same.

Last edited: May 30, 2005
  6. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

You'll need to fix the timecode somehow.
    Try VideoReDo, or Womble Mpeg-vcr.
    Just input the video, then save it again, with a new name.