1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

msi neo2 platinum, can't get ram to run in ddr400?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by pro`noob, Jun 2, 2005.

1. pro`noob

pro`noob Regular member

anybody got this motherboard?

it has some awkward ram configurations and the motherboard dosent do much to explain.

I have 2 x 512 pc3200 but i have tried various positions and every time it will show as running at only 333mhz. i have swapped the ram around to various slots and according to the manual it should now be running in 400mhz but it dosent, it just runs in dual channel 333.

i have heard the board performs better with 400 mhz single channel than 333 dual chan.

i do know that i can't run this board in dual channel 400 but single 400 is suposed to be supported.

P.S. i have the latest bios, drivers etc.

2. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

That's just wrong.
    400MHz (single) gives 3200MB/s
    333MHz (dual) gives 5400MB/s
    It depends on your CPU FSB.
    If your FSB is 166MHz (333DDR) and the PC3200 is running synchronously @ 333DDR, that's not a bad thing.
    PC3200 will support tighter timings running @ PC2700 speed.
    Reducing the memory clock to 333 is actually a trick to achieve stability when running dual-channel with a 333FSB CPU.
    However, if your CPU runs 200FSB (400DDR) then it's a different matter...
    Anyway, forget single-400 and embrace dual-333 :^)
    Once you get stable dual-channel 333, work the RAM timings past SPD - try Optimal, or Aggressive RAM timings at this (underclocked) speed.
    Your 2 PC3200 sticks must be matched enough so that the SPDs report the same thing to the mobo...
    L8R

3. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Its only 5400MB/s if you access both memory banks. If your entire memory operation executes within one of the banks you get 2700MB/s so it is quite possible for single channel PC3200 to outperform dual channel PC2700

As for the problem, with A64s, not having a FSB and having an integrated memory controller you need to specify the divider. But to make things complicated you cant directly configure the divider ;) No, all you can set is the "DDR ratio" (i.e., does DDR mean 2:1 or does it mean 5:4 etc). Default failsafe settings usually peg the ratio to 5:3 resulting in DDR400 memory running at DDR333 speeds (or roughly so). The other possibility is having DS memory where SS is expected although this is really only a problem when 4 DIMMS are populated

If they arent, the system uses the lowest common denominator

4. nesh02

nesh02 Guest

hi i am using the same mobo. i have a problem , i am having one ide hdd and two cd-roms to install. there is three ide connections in the mobo. one is the primary hdd while the others is for the raid function. how am i gong to disable the raid and use it only as a normal ide. please help me out on this.