1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ANOTHER REBUILD GUIDE FOR PS2 USING NERO BURNING ROM

Discussion in 'User submitted guides' started by hursty, Jun 5, 2005.

1. hursty

hursty Active member

this is used when it is allowed for you to use nero

(no individual file over 2 gb)

[bold]WHAT YOU NEED[/bold]

dvd decrypter http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd_decrypter.cfm
    iso buster http://www.smart-projects.net/isobuster/
    nero (burning rom) http://www.nero.com/en/nero-up.php (upgrade may be required)
    good quality media

[bold]step 1[/bold]

make a new folder on the desktop,and use dvd decrypter to make an iso image.....MODE>ISO>READ,.....put the image in the folder,if you are comfortable in finding the image on the hardrive,then dont make a folder on desktop.....its just easier this way.

[bold]step 2[/bold]

make another folder on desktop,name it whatever the game is called.ie dead to rights 2

[bold]step 3[/bold]

open up iso buster and browse for the iso image you just made,
    open it.....you should see a long list of files on the right hand side(that is the breakdown of the iso image)....i.e lots of folders etc etc.

now we need both iso buster open and the empty second folder open on the pc screen,...so you should have in front of you,iso buster with a list of folders and the empty second folder

[bold]step 4[/bold]

now from the list of folders in iso buster,drag and drop them one by one over to the new folder,in the same order they are listed,so start at the top and work your way down to the bottom,this may take some time,as iso buster will extract the files over.

[bold]NOW YOU CAN CLOSE ISOBUSTER,ITS NO LONGER NEEDED[/bold]

now this new folder contains the rebuilt game you have just made with iso buster,.....check the size!!!!...it should be much smaller than the one you started with

[bold]step 5[/bold]

now we have to burn it......
    open up nero,and select [bold]NERO BURNING ROM[/bold]

you will see a window pop up with the title [bold]new compilation[/bold]...on the left hand side,there is a list of options,dvd rom,dvd copy etc.....we want the bottom one [bold]DVD-ROM(UDF/ISO)[/bold].click it..then click NEW,(top right)

[bold]step 6[/bold]

you will now see a new window with 4 columns,
    now find the folder which stores the game.i.e dead to rights 2,and open it up.
    you should see a list of folders again,like before

[bold]step 7[/bold]

in nero,the first column on the left,titled "new"..this is where we want to place the game folders
    so drag and drop them over,one by one,starting from the top working your way down...so now you will see a few folders in the first column,but also so a few in the second column,dont worry about that,its just the breakdown of the folders content

donr worry if they appear to be listed in a different order,to which you dropped them in,.they will burn in the order in which you put them,although i dont think it matters what order they are placed

[bold]step 8[/bold]

now we have all the folders ready to burn...(the blue bar at the bottom should read as the same size as the second folder which contains the rebuilt game.i.e 1.5 GB,if it is in the red,it means you have not selected DVD in the opening page of nero)
    in nero there is an emblem with a dvd/matchstick figure,click it.
    it may give you the message,"error,you about to burn a multi session disc",if this happens,un-check the multi session box

[bold]step 9[/bold]

make sure the settings for your usual burning preferences are set.i.e speed,turn off internet etc.......and off you go,burn the sucker

[bold]IF YOU HAVE DUMMY FILES[/bold]

do as above,but insert.....these steps

[bold] step 4a [/bold]

when you see the iso has dummy files.i.e 00DUMMY. 01DUMMY. GARBAGE ETC,
    you need to get rid of them,by replacing them with a file.

so on the desktop,right click the mouse,select "new" > text document
    rename it as it appears in isobuster,click enter

then open the text document on the desktop,hit space once,then save,
    this will create a text document with 1 byte in it,

do this for all the dummy files you have,as some games have more than one.

[bold]DO NOT DRAG THE DUMMY FILES,FROM ISO BUSTER INTO THE NEW FOLDER[/bold]

when you do [bold] step 7 [/bold], you need to add the [bold]new dummy files into nero[/bold],as instructed,in the same order as isobuster

Last edited: Mar 17, 2006
  2. Mighty6

Mighty6 Member

im trying to Rebuild Dead To Rights 2 and it keeps saying "Not A Valid PS2 Disc" can anoyone help me please?

PS: Im Using Swap Magic 3.3 and theses media i use are the same as my other games so..

3. hursty

hursty Active member

if you follow this guide,it should work,
    if it dont,thats another issue,and you need to post it in the ps2 dvd forum

Last edited: Jul 18, 2005
  4. Alien13

Alien13 Guest

Im new to the PS2 backing up games thing, is turning off your internet a safety issue? Also what other things would be best for safety?

5. hursty

hursty Active member

turning off the internet is something you should do when burning anything to disk,some would disagree.
    you want to free up as much pc power as possible,dont want any bad burns do we!!!!

6. Alien13

Alien13 Guest

Ohh ok, so its not for security type reasons.?

7. hursty

hursty Active member

8. ps2person

ps2person Guest

i have nero startsmart or Nero Express 6.6.0.15a somthing like that , idk , but is nero burning rom a different version, becuase i couldnt find this stuff on mine,you will see a window pop up with the title new compilation...on the left hand side,there is a list of options,dvd rom,dvd copy etc.....we want the bottom one DVD-ROM(UDF/ISO).click it..then click NEW,(top right),

well i went to download a file called nero burning rom , and i got the same nero express.

is nero startsmart and Nero Express the same thing, becuase i know with the nero program i have it has a lot of things in it. But unfortunatley i cant find nero burning rom.

im getting nero ultra addition becuase i read somthing about nero burning rom being in it, and all those other things like startsmart2 and express6. http://www.nero.com/enu/Nero_6_Ultra_Editon_Update_What_Is_New.html

im really confussed, can you help me, ty

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2005
  9. hursty

hursty Active member

10. ps2person

ps2person Guest

11. ps2person

ps2person Guest

its cool i figured it out , thank you anyways for the help,for people that have the same prob as me, the thing was that the serial number needed to get updated.

12. Alien13

Alien13 Guest

Hey,

Well i tried your method not sure where i went wrong but anways, when i burnt it it completed succesfully so i tried it in my PS2 (Swap Magic DVD 3.6) and pressed X and it was doin something then said "Not A Valid PS2 Disk", what went wrong?

13. aZnONE

aZnONE Member

Alien13, and for those who find themselves stuck with the "Not a valid ps2 disc" when booting backups from Swap Magic, after you put in you back up, tried to press SQUARE, not X. As you can see on bottom of the Swap Magic screen, Sqaure is for special boot and it tends to work fine without any error message as to X is for normal boot and i get that message all the time when pressing X. Try SQUARE and let me know how it goes. GOodluck!!!

Last edited: Jul 22, 2005
  14. Alien13

Alien13 Guest

Thanks for the idea, but i tried it on all three of the same backups of the punisher but it didnt work :(

15. edwardzb

edwardzb Member

I thought it might be a good idea for people that have used this method to post what games they've successfully backed up. This might give some of the newbies out there, like myself, a chance to see if this method has worked for others on games they want to back up... then if they have questions, they might be able to ask them here and get some answers that could help them.

I was able to use the mothod described in this thread, and SUCCESSFULLY backed up "Mafia." I did all the steps listed except that I just extracted all the files from ISOBuster into a new folder, rather than dragging and dropping them one by one... this didn't appear to effect the outcome.

I then went into Nero Burning Rom, selected the UDF/ISO option and did just as hursty said... I dragged each folder ONE BY ONE from the portion that shows what's on my LOCAL DISC (ie: C:\, D:\, etc, this section can usually be found on the right half portion of the Nero application) and dropped them all the way over to the section where you see the disc label (default is "New", should be clear to the left of the screen). After dropping all the folders here, I opened up ISOBuster and the ISO file for the game to see what order the files were in. The folders were in the same alphabetical order that I found them to be on my hard disc, but the files were slightly different. Now I don't know if this makes a difference or not, but I had nothing to lose so I tried it anyway.

I looked at the list in my ISO via ISOBuster and matched it to the order in which I dragged the FILES (not folders) from the local disc onto the DVD-R I wanted to burn via Nero Burning Rom. I simply dragged each one in the same order as they were listed in the ISO file into the center section (just to the right of where I dragged the FOLDERS, and just to the left of where it shows the contents of the local disc). I did this with just the main folder... file by file; there weren't many so it wasn't difficult at all. I realize this is kind of a hard thing to explain, but hopefully it makes sense. And like I said, whether or not this makes a difference doing them one by one, in the same order as the ISO shows, I do not know.

After I was ready to begin the burn, I pressed the burn button at the top of Nero and changed my speed to 2x. After it finished I placed my Swap Magic Plus v3.6 DVD ROM DRIVER disc into my PS2. Turned it on, and waited for Swap Magic Plus to load. I got to the "Load Program" screen and opened up my FLIP TOP COVER, replaced the Swap Magic Plus disc with my back-up copy of Mafia (the disc I just created with Nero) and closed my flip top cover. I left the "Video Mode" set to "Normal" and with the Swap Magic program highlighted over the "Load Program" option, I pressed "X" on my paddle. The game loaded quickly and perfectly.

I want to say thanks to hursty for this guide... I was stoked when it worked. Thanks a bunch, man!! As for the list of games I've successfully backed up via this method, I'll start with it now and add to it whenever I successfully back up another. Thanks again, hursty.

GAMES I'VE SUCCESSFULLY BACKED-UP VIA THIS METHOD:

"MAFIA" - 2x burn speed on a Memorex DVD-R. No dummy files and/or patches were needed. Game successfully loaded and played via a "Normal Boot" with Swap Magic Plus v3.6 DVD ROM DRIVER disc and a Flip-Top Cover on a Slim PSTwo (scph-70001).

Last edited: Jul 22, 2005
  16. ps2person

ps2person Guest

i am just so happy , this guide really works, and it works then the sticky guide that i help post.

i am just wondering if this guide would be able to work on gt4, and acorse i would be using a dvd+r dl cd. i am using the swap magic , newer version and a v12 ps2

17. Blue_Oval

Blue_Oval Guest

What about iso's that have files named dummy.dat? what do we do with those? also do we drag the iso files and folders to a new folder or udf files and folders? both contain same files so i assume you could do one or the other right?

18. edwardzb

edwardzb Member

In response to Blue_Oval... I've yet to try and backup a game with "dummy" files, but from what I've read what you have to do is create a new text file, open it up and press your spacebar. Now save the text file as whatever the dummy file is... in your case "Dummy.dat". What I would do is change the "Save as type:" in Notepad to "All Files," and then just overwrite the "Dummy.dat" file.

As far as the UDF/ISO question, I just did the ISO folders, not the UDF. I'm not sure if it makes any difference, but that's what I did when I successfully backed up "Mafia." Give it a shot and see what happens, it's all about trial and error. Good luck.

19. Blue_Oval

Blue_Oval Guest

would just like to add a little more, why cant we simplay burn the ripped iso to dvd? how come we must remove files and folders from iso and then create a new compilation?

20. edwardzb

edwardzb Member

I've heard that the method of just burning the ISO will work but haven't really dove into it. The one time I tried, it didn't work. I don't know if I did something wrong or what, but Swap Magic kept telling me that my disc was not a valid Playstation 2 disc.

I was told to try that method with DVD Decryptor but had no luck... you could always give it a shot, like I said... trial and error.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2005