1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MPC?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by weazel200, Jun 7, 2005.

1. weazel200

weazel200 Regular member

When will this format take off and will they make portable audio players for them.

2. djscoop

djscoop Active member

a good person to ask about this is diabolos, he's always talking about it. but I haven't seen him around for a few months, you could try PMing him

3. weazel200

weazel200 Regular member

Yea he hasnt logged on for a couple of months like you said and neither has Jeanc1. Do you know why they havent logged on in ages.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2005
  4. djscoop

djscoop Active member

I have no clue, he just stopped posting. Perhaps be's busy with school or work, or doesn't have access to the internet now. I'm sure they'll be around eventually

5. diabolos

diabolos Guest

@ everyone: WOW its niced to be missed....

@ weazel200:

MPC is by far the best sounding and fastes encoding codec available. With that said, it seems that noone is intrested in it. I think the main reason the fomat itsn't getting any attention is because it has no coorprate backing. Its all politics. With Mp4 and itunes/ipod (Apple), WMA and Napster (Micro$oft), and RAM and Real there isn;t any room in the consumer market place for another audio format. Also Mp3 and Ogg Vorbis are supported by the open-source community already. Its sad but I don't think it will ever get the attention it should.

For all of those reasons I myself have choosen to progressivly migrate to the Mp4 fromat from Mp3, instead of MPC. But any time I want to archive some music I still use MPC, it just sounds the best.

Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2005
  6. djscoop

djscoop Active member

hey good to hear from you again Ced, what have you been up to?

7. weazel200

weazel200 Regular member

Glad ur back ced (by the way why do people call u that) dont mean to be rude.

Regarding MPC
    If it wasnt for Napster and mp3's do you think MPC or another format might of taken the lead in digital audio.

8. diabolos

diabolos Guest

People call me Ced (pronounced "Said") because my name is Cedric (pronounced "Sedrik").

I call myself Diabolos because of a badass character in the anime [bold]Trigun[/bold]

---

Of course it would have. Another big reasone MPC isn't popular is because under 128 kbps it sucks. ITs worse than WMA under 128. But above 128 it can be be in quality of encoding time. MPC is also based on old technology (Mpeg Layer 2 audio: Mp2) that was tweaked and made anew (MPC).

Ced

9. diabolos

diabolos Guest

People call me Ced (pronounced "Said") because my name is Cedric (pronounced "Sedrik").

I call myself Diabolos because of a badass character in the anime [bold]Trigun[/bold]

---

Of course it would have. Another big reasone MPC isn't popular is because under 128 kbps it sucks. ITs worse than WMA under 128. But above 128 it can be be in quality of encoding time. MPC is also based on old technology (Mpeg Layer 2 audio: Mp2) that was tweaked and made anew (MPC).

Ced

10. djscoop

djscoop Active member

but wasn't mp3 the first compressed audio file around, before WMA, AAC, and MPC? Well I suppose Sony's ATRAC was the first popular one though. And it came out just about the time that broadband was taking off, so I think thats why it because so popular. I'm sure if MPC came out first it would be the standard right now, instead of MP3. I have pondering switching to another format, I looked into FLAC for a while, but for right now its just not worth re-ripping my 650+ CD collection to a new format, especially since I just use them to listen to on my computer.

11. rain2

rain2 Guest

I always wondered, if mpc not only removes psycho-acoustical "masked out" inaudible content (this is the common opinion about mpc and all lossy encoding theories), but also adds a fair amount of noise to the signal, which was not yet measured or discussed.
    So I measured the actual SNR (Signal to Noise Ratio) in the spectrum, and was very disappointed but confirmed about my listening observation.

I measured the SNR between busy frequency bands and silent frequency bands. The result is:

[*] mp3 128-256 constantly has only 25dB SNR, even mp3 320 has only around 32dB SNR
    [*] mp2 (VCD, SVCD, Digital Video Broadcast) has only 10dB (160kbps), 18dB (224kbps)
    [*] ac3 (DVD!) is not much better, 20dB SNR
    [*] mp3pro totally screws the spectrum above 10kHz (removes bands, adds other bands or shifts bands in spectrum)
    [*] musepack mpc is nearly as bad as mp2
    [*] wav muLaw 8bit is not as bad as expected compared to the others (has 40dB)[:D]
    [*] ogg (65dB) and aac (70dB) are winner in the lossy playground, wma9 follows (55dB)
    [*] if you use an iPod, aac (or apple lossless (ALAC) of course) sounds better, many mobile phones play aac too.
    [*] aac -HE (high efficiency) should be avoided, screws the spectrum just as mp3pro does. Use aac -LC (low complexity) instead.
    [*] finally use the free lossless formats flac and ape to preserve your expensive sound and fidelity if you are scared from the pictures (as I am) :)

How to read the pictures:
    The first is the original wave spectrum. (equals to lossless ape and flac compression)
    The peaks show the frequency response, the valleys show the noise floor.
    Peaks should go straight up to 20 kHz, the valleys should be low and not narrow.
    See yourself how different lossy compressed formats fill up the music with audible noise.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2005
  12. weazel200

weazel200 Regular member

Hey rain2 where did you get those results from. I though WAV is the best digital audio as it is uncompressed and nothing beats while MPC is the best compressed option which takes up less space while having the same near quality as WAV. Im confused now. We need Ced's (Diabolos) help as he can explain it clearly

13. rain2

rain2 Guest

hi, that was hard work converting and measuring... :)
    The original wav file is here:
    www.mandala-in-mind.com/lossysnr/noise-kamm5s.wav
    Select 3 seconds in the middle, FFT it with 8192 bands and Blackmann-Harris window. (average over the 3 seconds, to have a smoother curve).
    Do the same with transcoded versions. Believe your eyes and ears.

The idea came into my mind, when I started listening to DVB digital radio, in mp2 format. Something sounded muddy and noisy. Then I found that the mp3 versions of my CDs also sound noisy, compared to the originals I still had in a big box. So I went lossless (HDs are cheap) and "spoilt" my ears even more with that clean sound, so I designed this test especially according to my listening experience, and was not disappointed. :)

Lossless at home, AAC in the mobile phone (1GB MMC card), so the music makes fun to listen to again. :)

14. weazel200

weazel200 Regular member

So what format do you suggest for backing up a music collection.

15. rain2

rain2 Guest

... as I said: lossless. APE or FLAC comes into mind, I use APE.
    One CD takes 200 ... 400 MB on a HD in APE format, that is nearly 1000 CDs on a 300 GB drive, in *original* sound quality.
    Quiet music compresses better than loud music in APE and FLAC.

With the small Radlight APE dirctshow filter, you can even listen in normal Windows Mediaplayer to the APEs.

For mobile devices it is a snap to convert "on the fly" from that big HD, into any format, which is supported by our current listening device.
    In Foobar2000: rightclick in the Playlist - convert - done. Since my phone supports AAC and mp3, I did choose AAC, better sounding, smaller files.